Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: my_universe]
      #5718646 - 03/07/13 03:13 PM

Hi Steve,

The scope and rings (ADM) are attached to an ADM V (Vixen style) series attachment bar that uses radius blocks to pick up existing holes in the Edge front and rear castings. The part number is VC8 on the ADM website. It is made to fit the Celestron C8 scopes and comes with the radius blocks and mounting screws. I love the ADM hardware. It is solid and beautifully machined stuff...John

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: John Miele]
      #5719182 - 03/07/13 07:48 PM

I almost have the scope balanced in the DEC. I have a 5in bolt on the end of the dovetail with 2.8 lbs of washers. With this weight, plus the weight of the dew sheild I'm balanced with my 2in diagonal. I still need a little more weight to balance once the camera is attached to the scope. I don't have any room left on the bolt for more washers. I'll either have to get a 5.5in bolt or get heavy washers. At least I'm getting close.

my_universe

Reged: 01/07/10

#5720439 - 03/08/13 12:33 PM

Quote:

Hi Steve,

The scope and rings (ADM) are attached to an ADM V (Vixen style) series attachment bar that uses radius blocks to pick up existing holes in the Edge front and rear castings. The part number is VC8 on the ADM website. It is made to fit the Celestron C8 scopes and comes with the radius blocks and mounting screws. I love the ADM hardware. It is solid and beautifully machined stuff...John

Thanks very much, John. Indeed, ADM makes nice stuff.

Steve

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: my_universe]
      #5721916 - 03/09/13 10:02 AM

Another great night with the Edge. I really love this scope. I've never seen so much detail on Jupiter. It looked amazing. The Orion Nebla looked wonderful as well. I also looked at M67, M68, M81, and M82. All looked nice, even in my light polluted skies. I really need to get this scope under darker skies.

The only issue of the night was dew. Even with a dew shield the corrector started to dew around 12:30 AM. The scope had been outside for well over 4 hours at this point. I guess I'll need to buy some dew straps. However in the mean time is a hair dryer enough to keep the dew away? Will it hurt the corrector to blow some warm air over it to prevent the dew from forming?

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5722287 - 03/09/13 12:59 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Zach,

Here is what I got last night on M51. This is a stack of 15 x 3minute subs. Guding was a BEAR! It is very difficult to guide at 2032mm focal length. I was able to get really round stars at 2 minute subs, at 3 minutes they were starting to trail just a bit, and 5 minute subs were not acceptable. I don't know if I had some flexure, or I just need to tweak PHD settings better. I could not get the RMS value in PHD to get below .25 and the OSC index was always low. 5 minutes is my goal for guiding. I will try some more. This was a fast processing job with a few darks but no flats. Anyway, it's just an example shot and I have a ways to go. But this longer focal length really gets in close and I like that!...John

Edited by John Miele (03/09/13 12:59 PM)

zjc26138
Loved By All

#5722354 - 03/09/13 01:34 PM

John,
That's a great image. I do like how the longer focal length gets you a zoomed in image. I'm hoping once I get an OAG I can get 2-3 minute subs.

This image of M42 was comprised of 55, 20 second subs at ISO3200. I had a couple good unguided subs at 45 seconds, but I figured I better stay with shorter subs since the keeper rate was 92%.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5723011 - 03/09/13 09:15 PM

When I tell people on the refractor forum that the EdgeHD 8" is on par with my 6" APO for field sharpness, I think they believe I am overstating the situation.

As you appear to be learning, the EdgeHD 8" is a remarkable little telescope.

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5723153 - 03/09/13 11:15 PM

Quote:

When I tell people on the refractor forum that the EdgeHD 8" is on par with my 6" APO for field sharpness, I think they believe I am overstating the situation.

As you appear to be learning, the EdgeHD 8" is a remarkable little telescope.

It really is. It's a hidden gem. I love it.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
      #5723189 - 03/09/13 11:38 PM

Awesome Zach! I think if I ever get another telescope, it will have to be an Edge. Yep, sounds like time for a heater strip. Blow driers are a hassle and it really is better to be proactive when it comes to moisture on the lens .....Phil

zjc26138
Loved By All

Re: First Light for Edge 8'' new [Re: wky46]
      #5723720 - 03/10/13 11:38 AM

Phil- Yeah I imagine the dew heater strip is the better way to go, though in the mean time the hair dryer will have to do.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2518

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics