Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Reged: 07/21/07

Loc: PA
Mount with easiest polar alignment routine?
      #5713621 - 03/04/13 11:42 PM

I'm looking for a high end mount in the future around 5k used or new. Portability will be a major concern, as I will be setting up and tearing down every time I use the mount. I will mainly use the mount for AP, thus accurate polar alignment is paramount for me. Which mount in this class offers the easiest and most accurate alignment procedure? I really want to avoid drift align as much as possible. I understand the Taks have awesome polar alignment scopes, but the Mach1GTO appeals to me greatly since it can handle a bit more capacity than the EM-200 and handles cold better...however, my understanding is that the polar alignment routine with Mach1GTO stinks in comparison.

Edited by Domerman (03/04/13 11:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: Domerman]
      #5713664 - 03/05/13 12:06 AM

I have never tried the polar alignment routine in the Mach1. The best one is supposed to be the "Quick Drift Align" which reduces a drift alignment to a 5-minute job. It requires you to select a star that is close to zenith AND close to zero declination, then align on that star on both sides of the pier. (if the mount is polar aligned there will be no declination offset when you meridian-flip)

Of course in order for the star to be visible from both sides of the pier, it must be close to zenith so the mount doesn't bang into something.

PEMPro can polar align most any mount via semi-automated drift alignment quite quickly.

Or you can look into the new AP right-angle polar finder, which is allegedly as good (or almost as good) as the Tak polar finder. I just can't use it because I can't see Polaris...

I'd say the best polar alignment routine I've used is the one in the CGEM (the ASPA). So you might as well throw the CGE Pro into the mix. It costs exactly 5k.. but is extremely heavy, and the corrected PE is still 3" range - about the same as the raw PE of a Mach1.

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5713730 - 03/05/13 01:05 AM

Hi Steve,

I agree that the Tak polar finder is very good, I own an EM200.

However when the Atlas was my main mount, I used a software called alignmaster, in my experience alignmaster is as accurate as Celestron ASPA and more accurate than the Tak PAS, so I still use it to set up my EM200.

How do I know that alignmaster is as good as ASPA, well I owned a CGE and I tested both procedures and the residual drift was more or less the same.

The downside of alignmaster is the selection of alignment stars, sometimes they are too low. In that regard ASPA is better, but ASPA only works with celestron's mounts.

Cheers,

Jose

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: tjugo]
      #5713746 - 03/05/13 01:33 AM

Hmmm. This alignmaster looks good.

However I have a very limited selection of stars from my balcony. ASPA works fine with that. I wonder if it's possible to add stars to alignmaster...

Sean13
sage

Reged: 11/17/12

Loc: North Platte, Nebraska
      #5713786 - 03/05/13 02:35 AM

I've had great luck with Alignmaster. Simple, quick, easy, and cheaper then a polar scope.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: Domerman]
      #5713793 - 03/05/13 02:41 AM

I have used the Atlas, the Mach1 and the NJP and the skymemo. The Tak polar scope is the most accurate. There might be software routines that get you accurately aligned too but with the tak scope you are ready to image in the 5 minutes that it takes to polar align. The nice thing about the tak scope is that the RA axis is the scope itself and it's factory aligned. Believe or not my humble sky memo has a very similar polar scope and it's very accurate.

That being said I use the Mach1 with the losmandy polar scope. I got it centered as best as I could. My polar alignment typically doesn't take more than a few minutes.
So even tho the Tak get me better polar aligned, in reality I don't see any difference when doing guided astrophotography.
I have not used the new right angle polar scope and I will not for two reasons: 1) The mount needs to be perfectly level in order to polar align. 2) you need to drift align the first time in order to calibrate the polar scope.

Why are you so concerned about perfect polar alignment? Are you planning to do unguided photography?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: andysea]
      #5713813 - 03/05/13 03:14 AM

andy, if the polar alignment is more than a couple degrees out, dec drift will be so rapid that the guider can't keep up.

now you wonder, what sort of incompetent could be more than a couple degrees out... and the answer would be.. me! because i can't see polaris, so i have to guess-timate the polar alignment every darn time. and then drift-align with PHD and watch the declination drift on the graph.

will try alignmaster when i next get the chance. sounds like the answer to my woes.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5713918 - 03/05/13 06:26 AM

Quote:

I have not used the new right angle polar scope and I will not for two reasons: 1) The mount needs to be perfectly level in order to polar align.

This is not correct. N-S leveling has no effect on the polar scope, and E-W leveling would have to be "really really off to make much of a difference" per Roland in a recent thread on the subject on ap-gto.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #5713941 - 03/05/13 07:28 AM

Quote:

will try alignmaster when i next get the chance. sounds like the answer to my woes.

Good luck with it.
I found myself too treebound for Alignmaster.

andysea
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/03/10

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: Paul G]
      #5714011 - 03/05/13 09:02 AM

Paul, I still prefer the Takahashi system with the bubble level built into the polar scope, to me that seems a lot easier than leveling the mount.
I understand that N-S leveling is inconsequential

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5715625 - 03/05/13 11:43 PM

I use Alignmaster on my AT900GTO. It sit on a concrete pier except for one or two multi night start party trips such as the Golden State or Oregon star parties. I use it on the first night of the star party and once again when the mount go on my concrete pier at home.

One lesson I have learned is to use one of my refractors with Alignmaster. I get very good results. After the 3rd iteration I cannot detect any thing to correct. When I tried to use Alignmaster with an SCT, the mirror movement as the scope has moved from one alignment star to the other would create enough of a change that I could not converge perfectly even after several iterations. This was with my mirror locks engaged.

I use Alignmaster with a camera and an on laptop screen bull eye display. This is much more precise than trying to detect perfect centering with your cross hair eye piece. The 2nd advantage is that you can look at the laptop and see the star relative to the bullseye while you are adjusting the Altitude or Azimuth adjusters.

My last comment regarding ease of polar alignment relates to the precise fine movements of the altitude or azimuth adjusters. My AP900GTO has adjustments that are vastly superior to the adjustments on my old Atlas mount. You should evaluate the alt/az adjustment controls on any mount you consider.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: JMW]
      #5715656 - 03/06/13 12:03 AM

Jeff, so you don't use Roland's favorite QCD?

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
      #5715700 - 03/06/13 12:45 AM

I like Alignmaster and started using it before I had the AstroPhysics mount. I haven't seen a reason to change. If I did polar alignments more than 2-3 times are year I might consider other options. To be honest, I have read the procedure but didn't think it was any faster or more accurate than Alignmaster so I haven't actually tried it. Since I am setting up for imaging anyway, the camera and laptop are already available as tools to use so I may as well use them.

One iteration of Alignmaster takes me to a few arc-minutes of polar alignment. The second iteration take it to a fraction of an arc-minute. The 3rd iteration just confirms that I can't see anything else to adjust, unless I wanted to increase focal length for additional magnification.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: JMW]
      #5715749 - 03/06/13 02:05 AM

Orly, don't forget PoleAlignMax. It requires MaximDL, but it's user friendly. It doesn't do Jnow but from what I've found it was close enough.

I use the PAM in PemPro now. Super easy.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: Raginar]
      #5715759 - 03/06/13 02:21 AM

well i do have pempro... so that would work. haven't actually tried it, maybe i should since i paid for it.. thing is on my balcony i have a very limited view and am pretty sure pempro won't work.

psu_13
sage

Reged: 05/30/10

#5716097 - 03/06/13 10:07 AM

Polar aligning a Mach-1 is mostly easy IMHO.

You have three basic choices.

1. Spend money for the new right angle polar scope. Get it calibrated. Then you just put polaris in the right spot and you are done. Takes 5 to 10min at the most. This is just about like using the Tak scope, except you have to get the scope calibrated with your mount first, which is a bit tedious.

2. Do the "quick drift" alignment. This seems complicated, but is certainly easier than the 4+2+polar align dance that people do with the Celestron mounts. You need 2 stars, both near the meridian. You use one near zenith to align altitude via a clever meridian flip scheme and one in the south to align azimuth using a fairly standard iterative scheme. All you need for this is a nice right angle finder. I've done this for months and it works well every time once you get the hang of it.

3. Use some sort of software. If you have a camera your best bet is to get close using 1 or 2 above and then just run your software. I've taken to using a combination of pempro and this:

http://www.observatory.digital-sf.com/Polar_Alignment_CCDv1-1.pdf

[side note]

I just got the new AP polar scope. The other night I was calibrating it. I spent 2min putting polaris in it. Then another 5 doing a single pass of the quick drift scheme. Then I checked the alignment with PemPro. Was off by a knob turn to the West and essentially right on in altitude. After that small adjustment I had almost no drift over a 5min window, which is good enough for me. So even uncalibrated the new scope was pretty close. I spent some time aligning it to the mount axis some more. But I bet it didn't really improve things since I'm a clutz.

In the future I'll probably do polar scope + pempro. Since I bought the software I might as well use it. But if you don't have it just use the CCD scheme above. It's basically the same thing, but you have to calculate where to slew your telescope by hand.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: psu_13]
      #5716110 - 03/06/13 10:14 AM

2. Do the "quick drift" alignment. This seems complicated, but is certainly easier than the 4+2+polar align dance that people do with the Celestron

Come on....the Celestron routine takes no time...AND.....COMING SOON.....STARSENSE......this AUTOMATICALLY does the 2+4 routine for you...with its own widefield camera...in 3 minutes

psu_13
sage

Reged: 05/30/10

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? new [Re: HowardK]
      #5716129 - 03/06/13 10:25 AM

I had a CG-5 before I got my Mach-1. The 4+2+polar used to take me about 10-15min. The AP quick drift takes about the same amount of time. but the AP scheme is a bit easier because you only need 2 stars. And you can do it with your finder scope rather than the main optics. And you didn't have to worry about things like remembering to always finish centering the stars from the same direction, etc.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? [Re: psu_13]
      #5716151 - 03/06/13 10:43 AM

If you happen to have Astroplanner there is a drift alignment helper in there that I've found helpful. Depending on location and time of night it finds and makes a list of the best stars to align with. Then you pick the stars that are visible to you. Basically slews to one star, has you sync it, slews off and back, asks you to physically center, slews to second star, repeat. Shows you the corrections you are making. Very cool feature. I used this back before ASPA.

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Mount with easiest polar alignment routine? [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5716172 - 03/06/13 11:00 AM

the reason I don't use the QCD is because you need to orthogonal-ize your finder scope, and I can't wrap my brain around that concept...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2588

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics