Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
luigis
sage

Reged: 07/27/10

Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: core]
      #5728013 - 03/12/13 12:13 PM

Peter I will accept the motor can carry the weight but the two little screws can't do it. How is that gimbal head attached to the mount? I'm sure there's some trick or modding otherwise the screws will not handle it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: luigis]
      #5729391 - 03/12/13 11:48 PM Attachment (108 downloads)

No trick, just lock it down really tight (use pliers if needed ) - replacement thumb screws would help; the Benro arm off-sets the weight of the setup as well.

alliumfamily

Reged: 05/22/13

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: core]
      #5884940 - 05/26/13 12:30 AM

Will someone give who has tried both give me there opinion? Can we quantify this a little better.

From what I gather: Both units seem to track well. However, some people have had better luck with long exposures using the Polarie (referencing
luigis).

In addition, the Polarie has both azimuth and altitude controls, while the SkyTracker only has an altitude control.?

The SkyTracker requires a Feisol panning base? Does this allow it to be controlled in azimuth? If not, then why does it need this?

Do they both have the same speed options (sidereal, 1/2x, whatever, etc)?

The final question: If you were starting from scratch, (i.e. owned a nice astro DSLR, but no tripod or other small mount gear), which one would you buy? Which tripod would you buy? Which type of base(s)?

I know people said its about options, could someone clarify what those options are, perhaps pros/cons of each (not really looking at the astrotrack due to its price.

Thanks! I really appreciate it! This is my first post.

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: alliumfamily]
      #5884949 - 05/26/13 12:38 AM

Quote:

Will someone give who has tried both give me there opinion? Can we quantify this a little better.

From what I gather: Both units seem to track well. However, some people have had better luck with long exposures using the Polarie (referencing
luigis).

In addition, the Polarie has both azimuth and altitude controls, while the SkyTracker only has an altitude control.?

The SkyTracker requires a Feisol panning base? Does this allow it to be controlled in azimuth? If not, then why does it need this?

The final question: If you were starting from scratch, (i.e. owned a nice astro DSLR, but no tripod or other small mount gear), which one would you buy? Which tripod would you buy? Which type of base(s)?

I know people said its about options, could someone clarify what those options are, perhaps pros/cons of each (not really looking at the astrotrack due to its price.

Hello alliumfamily!

Here is what I have on my Amazon Wish list for next month's purchase based on my research, comments, experience, blah, blah, blah...

-- Canon 60Da (already have)
-- Canon TC80N3 Timer Remote Control
-- Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod Legs (Black)
-- Manfrotto 460MG Magnesium Camera Head
-- Feisol PB-70 Panning Base
-- iOptron Skytracker. Reviews are good for it, plus I like the Polar Scope attachment better.

This setup will also hold my Coronado PST.

I hope this helps!

alliumfamily

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5884954 - 05/26/13 12:40 AM

Cool! Thank you I appreciate it! I already have the Canon 60Da and the remote. Can I ask why you chose the SkyTracker over the Polarie? Because of the polar scope, I see. But, what did the reviews say about the SkyTracker that made it seem more appealing to you?

Thanks!

Edited by alliumfamily (05/26/13 12:41 AM)

Spacetravelerx
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5884968 - 05/26/13 12:47 AM

Quote:

Cool! Thank you I appreciate it! I already have the Canon 60Da and the remote. Can I ask why you chose the SkyTracker over the Polarie?

First off, near as I can tell both are excellent units. So it boiled down to the Polar Scope. For the Polarie it goes through where the camera mounting point is. I can see some slight errors when taking it on and off. With the SkyTracker you can have both the camera mount and polar scope on at the same time.

And the Polar scope is bundled with the Skytracker for $399.

Lastly, Sky & Telescope also gave it excellent marks.

alliumfamily

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Spacetravelerx]
      #5885005 - 05/26/13 01:42 AM

Awesome. Great information. That seems ridiculous to have to remove the camera. I really appreciate your insight. I'm going to read the S&T review.

I'd love to hear from people that have tried both or at least one with your thoughts! See my post above for specific questions!

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #5887414 - 05/27/13 04:21 PM

Quote:

I do not have both, only the SkyTracker so take this for what it is worth to you.
luigis).

Yes, ST only has altitude control but if your tripod has a column that rotates in azimuth, you don't need the Feisol base. If your tripod has no rotation, yes, you need a Feisol, which is the cheapest. Many, many tripods have a column which rotates, so it is not needed on the ST

No. They do not have the same speed options. The ST has sideral and 1/2 sideral. It has a north/south switch.
I started from scratch more or less, as I looked at the AstroTrack, found it too expensive but a great piece of equipment. Bulkier as well. I looked at the Polarie and, by the time you bought the polar alignment scope (PAS), it was adding up, in cost. Then the iOptron SkyTracker came on the scene, with an intro price that included the PAS. In addition the ST PAS has a red LED lighting feature, so you don't have to fuss with this in the dark. Finally, the ST PAS has the concentric circle method of placing Polaris, which differs, I think, from the Polarie and the ST has a companion polar alignment app for an iPad or iPhone or iPod Touch. I have a Touch so could make use of this. And the setup, with tripod (which I had for general photography) makes for a PORTABLE setup, which is really one of it's main features, in my view. I can put it in with my camera gear for wide field shots where ever I go, when I don't happen to be taking telescope gear. For me, it was the answer

Does that help?

alliumfamily

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: munchmeister]
      #5887464 - 05/27/13 05:03 PM

Awesome, yes. I appreciate the more specific answers. It seems like previously this threads comments were very general and not quantifiable.
Thank you!

mshedden

Reged: 10/05/12

#5887718 - 05/27/13 07:23 PM

Quote:

The panning base is for ease of polar alignment only - without it you'd have to rotate the whole tripod left or right when dialing in on the pole star, which is inaccurate and upsets the altitude setting on non level ground.

Hikari
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/11

Loc: Maine, USA
      #5888655 - 05/28/13 10:32 AM

Quote:

luigis).

I am a Polarie owner. The Polarie itself is just a box. You need to mount it on something. You can put it on a geared head or something much simpler--I have mine on a pan head, and only pan--no tilt.

Quote:

If your tripod center column rotates, then you don't need a panning base--I rotate the center column of my tripod with the Polarie.

Quote:

Polarie has four tracking rates--sidereal, 1/2 sidereal, lunar, and solar.

Quote:

I would get a good quality carbon fiber photo tripod with a center column I can rotate. I would get an Arca Swiss P0 tripod head and a simple Manfrotto pan head. The arcs Swiss head would double for photography and to mount on the Polarie.

But then I am a photographer and I invest in my gear. You could do the same for less.

Quote:

I had the choice and went with the Polarie--I sold an Astrotrac for it. For me, a light, compact system was very important. The Polarie is lighter and smaller and only requires two batteries. The Polar scope is great, although missing an illuminator, but my red flash light works. I love the fact you can just dial in the date and time and the Polar scope can find the right position for Polaris. I can also use the sight hole if I don't want to be bothered with the Polar scope. I have the Polar meter, but I am not sure how useful that is.

Personally, I prefer Japanese engineering over Chinese engineering. After doing some research, Vixen mounts seem to have less trouble then iOptron units. Now, the SkyTracker is not the most complicated piece of hardware in the world, but it can have problems.

I am sure whichever you get, it will work fine. The Polarie will be the more expensive route.

Ed Wiley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Hikari]
      #5888912 - 05/28/13 12:54 PM

Alternative to both: Kenko Skymemo. I love mine in spite of the fact that it is bigger, more expensive, requires a better tripod and etc. Mine carries (on a Vixen dovetail mounted at right angles) a 300mm telephoto, 7x50mm finder and red-spot finder and tracks for 3 minutes with this particular rig (and forever with a 50mm lens). But if I was traveling to Australia I might buy a smaller camera platform.

Ed

alliumfamily

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5890956 - 05/29/13 04:19 PM

Thank you everyone! It seems to me as long as you have a tripod that moves in azimuth or a base that does, the only quantifiable difference is that the Polarie has solar and lunar speeds which the ST does not.

This is a bit of a bummer. I was heavily leaning towards the StarTracker, but if I can't do lunar or solar photography with it, that is a big mark in the con list.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

alliumfamily

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Ed Wiley]
      #5890961 - 05/29/13 04:22 PM

Those looks awesome, but way out of the price range we're looking at.

"Alternative to both: Kenko Skymemo. I love mine in spite of the fact that it is bigger, more expensive, requires a better tripod and etc. Mine carries (on a Vixen dovetail mounted at right angles) a 300mm telephoto, 7x50mm finder and red-spot finder and tracks for 3 minutes with this particular rig (and forever with a 50mm lens). But if I was traveling to Australia I might buy a smaller camera platform.

Ed"

Edited by alliumfamily (05/29/13 04:24 PM)

alliumfamily

#5890964 - 05/29/13 04:24 PM

Has anyone checked out the Sightron Nano Tracker? It was a a Sky & Telescope Hot Product for 2013. I want to order my tracker, but I'm torn between the Sightron Nano Tracker, StarTracker, and Polarie....

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
      #5917022 - 06/12/13 01:42 PM

For what it is worth, Lunar and Solar tracking modes are not likely to add much to the Polarie, as compared to the SkyTracker. Neither the moon nor the sun move enough compared to the night time star field to make any noticeable difference for astrophotography tracking. So that should not be a big "con" for your comparison. Additionally, since both are super bright, your shutter speeds on your camera are going to be very small (i.e. fast). Tracking is really only important for long exposures of from, say 30 seconds to a couple of minutes (or more). So for lunar and solar the SkyTrackers sidereal rate should be just fine. See Tracking rates thread

The Nano Tracker looks to be smaller and might therefore need to stick with a lighter payload. But, depending on what you are going to put on it, might work just fine. There sure seems to be a tendency to push the limits of these small mounts, with bigger and bigger lenses. To me, they are for portability. If a big 300mm lens is the weapon of choice on a big DSLR, it seems to me it would be both cheaper and sturdier to buy a low cost German Equatorial like a CG-4 and just mount the DSLR on that. Not quite as portable but gets the job done.

Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: munchmeister]
      #5918037 - 06/13/13 12:13 AM

Agree. Sun and moon are so bright. There is no need for long exposure.

Jay

Dale J Martin

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: MA
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Bluejay08]
      #5919566 - 06/13/13 09:10 PM

Hi folks,

I recieved a Skytracker today and was rather surprised to see that this unit has a azimuth control built in! Must have been just added....:-) Though a bit dismayed since I already ordered a panning head....

Dale

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Dale J Martin]
      #5919626 - 06/13/13 09:51 PM

Dale, put up a picture showing the azimuth control. I am curious about the new version. I already have the panning base so it doesn't affect me but others will want to know.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Vixen Polarie vs Ioptron Sky Tracker, conclusions new [Re: Dale J Martin]
      #5920202 - 06/14/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

I recieved a Skytracker today and was rather surprised to see that this unit has a azimuth control built in! Must have been just added....:-)

PICTURES??!!!

Patrick

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics