Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5713606 - 03/04/13 11:31 PM

Turn Left ( thanks again Phil) is a great book and very helpful. This Atlas or similar is also good. I plan on getting one soon. The Cambridge Star Atlas, 4th Edition, by Wil Tirion

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5713713 - 03/05/13 12:47 AM

I see no one has mentioned one of my all time favorite field books Objects in the Heavens subtitled "The Complete Mag-10 Northern Deep-Sky Viewing List and Fieldbook".

If I'm just taking out one book for an evening it's this book. It's an excellent star hopping guide for the brighter deepsky objects and is loaded with tons of helpful indexes such as the major stars, best double stars, Messier objects, NGC objects, Common names of stars and DSO's, and Major Meteor Showers.

One of the sections I particularly like is the Seasonal Maps section. There are 4 maps, one for each season showing all the constellations visible during that season. It's kind of like a planosphere without the sliding parts. That helps me get my bearings for what's up in the night sky.

There's also a nice section on the moon.

The main part of the book is made up of constellations maps with all the indexed objects plus more.

The book is the work of Peter Birren and is more a labor of love than a professionally scripted text book. My personal copy was signed by Peter himself. I think if you order from him, he will sign it.

Anyway, check it out. I use mine all the time. BTW, I have the 5th edition. I have seen 3rd and 4th editions advertised, so make sure you get the latest edition.

Patrick

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: Patrick]
      #5713727 - 03/05/13 01:04 AM

Quote:

I see no one has mentioned one of my all time favorite field books Objects in the Heavens subtitled "The Complete Mag-10 Northern Deep-Sky Viewing List and Fieldbook".

+1 for OITH book! You can order the latest edition directly from Peter's website.

I believe that Peter Birren had stated that the Kindle edition on amazon is not the latest 5th edition. It makes a great companion to the PSA - in fact these are the first 2 books I'd reach for or pack. I've ordered several copies from Peter, along with the PDF copy available from there as well, loaded onto my phones, tablets, and computers.

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: core]
      #5714080 - 03/05/13 09:59 AM

One book I like a lot and don't see mentioned very much is The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. It's organized by constellation, so it's really helpful if you want to see everything there is to see in a particular constellation. I think it's a great book to move to once you've completed Turn Left at Orion.

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: Domerman]
      #5714969 - 03/05/13 05:47 PM

Quote:

... Any recommendations as to free sky charts that are updated monthly?

Also, is my PSA pretty much useless at this point?

Check out this website for a free, overall monthly skychart -- www.skymaps.com.

Your PSA will NOT be useless. Use the overall monthly skychart to see what constellations and bright objects are visible, then find that bright object (or constellation) in the PSA (use either the General Index at the back or the Chart Key on the inside back cover). The PSA will give you a more detailed map of what the stars in the area will look like through either binoculars or a small telescope.

There is no need to learn the details of RA and Dec right now -- it is more important to learn how to find a constellation that is visible from your area and date/time, then "go a little deeper" to locate something to look at.

Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Reged: 07/21/07

Loc: PA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: JimK]
      #5715063 - 03/05/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... Any recommendations as to free sky charts that are updated monthly?

Also, is my PSA pretty much useless at this point?

Check out this website for a free, overall monthly skychart -- www.skymaps.com.

Your PSA will NOT be useless. Use the overall monthly skychart to see what constellations and bright objects are visible, then find that bright object (or constellation) in the PSA (use either the General Index at the back or the Chart Key on the inside back cover). The PSA will give you a more detailed map of what the stars in the area will look like through either binoculars or a small telescope.

There is no need to learn the details of RA and Dec right now -- it is more important to learn how to find a constellation that is visible from your area and date/time, then "go a little deeper" to locate something to look at.

Thanks! That is a great website! All of you have been a wonderful help and have filled my bookmarks to the top with online observing resources!

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5715206 - 03/05/13 07:39 PM

The PSA will grow on you if you use it. I own lots of atlases and they don't get much use any more. The layout of the PSA charts makes so much sense. The smaller chunks of sky on each chart make the sky seem much more 'do-able'. My observing buddy and I like to pick a chart or two and try to find everything shown.

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5715287 - 03/05/13 08:24 PM

+1 on The Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders!

Tim D

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: Temecula, CA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5715344 - 03/05/13 08:57 PM

One thing I did with my Pocket Sky Atlas, was I took a semi-transparent thin piece of plastic from a office folder and cut it the size of a book marker, I then took a fine tip permanent marker and traced the Telrad gauge that is on the inside of the front page of the book on to the book marker. Now I have a Telrad gauge to use throughout the entire book.
Tim

maa2sm4ca

Reged: 08/02/12

Loc: Bay Area,CA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: Tim D]
      #5715581 - 03/05/13 11:09 PM

What brought me here was Phil Harrington's Binocular Universe. Went thru the archives again and again. Moved to his Star Watch as it gives you star hopping tips and expected views thru binoculars, small(3-5") and medium(6-8") scopes. Will walk you thru the entire Messier list.

I've gravitated to the point/shoot style of zeroing in on things. Once I find something new, I repeat the steps many times until I've got the sequence down. The wider FOV of the binoculars makes things much easier for me and lets me get to know the neighborhood.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: maa2sm4ca]
      #5715599 - 03/05/13 11:24 PM

Tim I did a similar thing with a washer as a guide to cut the clear plastic.

yardstars

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Indiana
      #5717053 - 03/06/13 06:51 PM

I really enjoy your photos Steve!
I too have been/am in a similar boat with not being familiar with the night sky. But I have been using the resources mentioned for the last two months and have really noticed growth in my knowledge of constellations. TLAO, PSA, and the Stars by HA REY have been invaluable. There is a reason why so many people recommend them! It was really nice to read these posts and think to myself "Hey I know exactly what he means!"

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
      #5717106 - 03/06/13 07:22 PM

was that a whirlpool washer by chance

Quote:

I used a washer & penciled in Telrad rings on objects that I wanted to see.

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? [Re: yardstars]
      #5717132 - 03/06/13 07:37 PM

Don't make it hard. I did like Aochran. Which ever direction you face, hold the chart to match. I'll bet a dollar to doughnuts you'll say "Ah ha!" Then you'll then feel silly.

Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: Kraus]
      #5723316 - 03/10/13 01:38 AM

Well just an update. I did some observing today with a group of people at a relatively dark sky site. Mag ~4.5 - ~5.5. I used the PSA, planisphere and my binos. I was able to find several objects on my own via star hopping including m36, 37, 44, double cluster, 42 (obviously) and a whole host of others using both my binos and other peoples scopes. The highlight of the night was being able to find the Leo Triplet on a 14" dob using the PSA. I found it pretty quickly too! It's a great feeling finding things on your own...almost feels like you own the night sky. I guess it helps that I do have a general idea of the night sky from my imaging days and my goto scopes.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5723609 - 03/10/13 10:20 AM

Steve, congratulations! Glad you were so successful using the PSA, along with the planisphere!

chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
      #5731554 - 03/14/13 02:16 AM

I just came across an old book of mine- a thin paperback 'Edmund Mag 5 Star Atlas' put out by Edmund Scientific. It's a great little book with 6 maps dividing the sky and a list of objects and excellent description of each, to observe on each map. I notice I have quite a few comments written in it and from the notes apparently was using it in 1988. I had forgotten I had it...

Ah, and apparently still in print, shown on this page:
http://www.scientificsonline.com/astronomy.html

If I didn't already have it, I'd buy it, especially at that price- in a heartbeat!

Edit: I see continuing on the Edmund site there is also a Mag 6 Atlas (a little more extensive and expensive), and also 'The Cambridge Atlas of Herschel Objects' by James Mullaney and Wil Tirion. I may pick up the Mag 6...

Edited by chaoscosmos (03/14/13 02:34 AM)

Domerman
Just Lucky, I Guess.

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas - Tips? new [Re: chaoscosmos]
      #5733401 - 03/15/13 01:56 AM

I received a warning about that website you posted, as being associated with "attacks".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1578

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics