Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5321721 - 07/17/12 10:45 AM

It sure would indeed be nice to have some more catalogs, one thing I'd personally hope for is easier access to more double stars. Beyond M, NGC, Caldwell and a few objects in other catalogs you're getting into some pretty obscure and usually very difficult to view objects.

For example UGC 8022 is a huge faint object. You may be able to see some of the individual stars but there's nothing to see in terms of condensed structure like other galaxies. It likely has shown up in other apps because it's a topical object (it's been in recent news) but it's ridiculous to consider this dwarf galaxy as an observable object (but there's always someone at the fringes who will prove me wrong).

The hand controller is never going to be the equivalent of PC type devices with extensive catalogs. If someone is going after unusual, obscure, and and exceedingly faint objects they are usually not observing visually. When a camera is involved then a PC usually is too and then you have access to any number of extensive catalogs.

The HC isn't going to be all things to all people, I just hope it continues to be a simple and effective tool to give folks quick access to the majority of interesting visual objects.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5321898 - 07/17/12 12:34 PM

Mark- I agree. Until this morning I really had very little appreciation of how difficult a target UGC 8022 was. Still my point is that I trust the Precise GOTO on my trusty CG5 so much that I wanted to confirm that the starfield I was looking at (through Mallincam) was indeed the correct one. Without UGC catalogue I could not confirm that my 2 or 3 min exposure was on target. Ironically, I do not think that its that expensive anymore to have a much more comprehensive object database as part of the installed database. Heck you can buy a 64GB memory stick for under $30...

Al

mclewis1
Thread Killer

#5322300 - 07/17/12 05:02 PM

Al,

That's a good point about the precise goto function (that it needs an internal database/catalog to work). I use it quite a bit too but I seemed to have forgotten that it's a very useful function for a variety of uses.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a NexStar+ HC and knows the memory chips well enough to comment on the storage capacity of this new HC vs. the older ones.

I do think however that the cost of the extra memory is just one small part of the total cost of expanding the capabilities of the HC (coding, testing, implementation, documentation, support training, multiple product management, etc.)

katie
sage

Reged: 11/06/11

Loc: Southern Maryland
      #5322367 - 07/17/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Anyone have any idea what future firmware upgrades are planned for the new Nexstar+ controller? I hope C left some space for additional catalogues in the ROM, as last night I got flummoxed trying to center the Draco Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 8022) which was prominent in my SkiSafari App but unfortunately not an object in the NexStar HC database. This made it particularly difficult to confirm that I was in the region despite reading the coords from the HC... Just a recent example of how the HC software is somewhat limiting unlike more recent software like SkySafari ...

Al

Al, have you tried the "Align" function of SkySafari? It is perfect for the situation you described.

Slew to a known and viewable/short exp object close to your target(I use live view), center in the camera, select the same object on SkiSafari, press align. Now select your dim object and slew/center. Works great. It will work within 10 degrees of your selected align object. Basically, it is a local sync (aka precise go-to).

I use it a lot because my travel scope combined with live view of the Canon just cannot pick up DSOs. So, I go to a known near star, center, align, then back to the DSO and image. Never failed to center the DSO.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: katie]
      #5322381 - 07/17/12 05:51 PM

Thanks, Katie! Didn't know what that align function did nor how to use it!

Jim

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: HeyJP]
      #5322427 - 07/17/12 06:20 PM

In the Celestron world Sync and Precise goto are two very different functions (but both make it easier to find stuff).

Sync updates the sky model in one particular area of the sky. All gotos in that particular area benefit from the improved accuracy.

Precise goto temporarily improves pointing accuracy to one particular object, it doesn't affect any other gotos.

katie
sage

Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5322465 - 07/17/12 06:47 PM

Quote:

In the Celestron world Sync and Precise goto are two very different functions (but both make it easier to find stuff).

Sync updates the sky model in one particular area of the sky. All gotos in that particular area benefit from the improved accuracy.

Precise goto temporarily improves pointing accuracy to one particular object, it doesn't affect any other gotos.

Right. That is why I used the term "local sync" (a SkySafari term) and the aka "precise go-to" (the Celestron term).
The SkySafari cannot perform a sych. It used to via RS-232 commands until Celeston changed the HC code and the SkySafari would un-align the scope (it was bad).

So, SkySafari changed the code to do the local-sync (aka precise go-to but you manually find the closest star). The offsets are stored within SkySafari for that 10 degree portion of the sky you align to.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #5323168 - 07/18/12 07:36 AM

Katie-

Yes I use the local Sync function on SkiSafari too... ironically though I often use the precise GOTO on the handcontrol as I have more confidence in its precision. This is because I had some accuracy issues with SkySafari... post a few tweaks, like adjusting the epoch and turning off the time function it works better and usually can get me very close to dead center... Also from a fine-tuning adjustment perspective the handcontrol has a better feel/action than the slew arrows on skisafari... (they need to improve this with adjustable slew speeds!)

-Al

katie
sage

#5323187 - 07/18/12 07:58 AM

Quote:

Katie-

... Also from a fine-tuning adjustment perspective the handcontrol has a better feel/action than the slew arrows on skisafari... (they need to improve this with adjustable slew speeds!)

-Al

Hi Al. I agree that the tweeks are needed, and once implemented the gotos are, as you stated, "dead center".

As to the slew rates, within the scope control window is a Rate slider that changes the slew rate that is in effect when you press one of the direction buttons. I can slew really really slow - guide speed slow (the rate slider is like using the speed/rate button and then a number on the HC). I can attest that it works with my 6SE, but I don't use SkySafari on my CPC1100 so I don't know if it works with that scope.

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #5339848 - 07/28/12 11:12 AM

I just got a new CG-5 mount and it came with the new Nexstar+. I have to say it's not as bad as I thought I kind of like it. Of course a new toy brought clouds with it so I only got to test the alignment and not look at anything. The "Star" button is a shortcut to the "Named Stars" menu so that's a nice feature. Another really nice feature mentioned in the manual about the "Help" button: "For your convenience, it currently functions as a shortcut to the Messier Catalog." The "Celestron Logo" button acts as a SHIFT key button the manual states it can use used with future firmware upgrades to add features and used with advanced functions. Perhaps this can be used to create an NGC shortcut button like the Help/Messier button.

Celestron also has a new app SkyQ I just downloaded it so I haven't played around with it much but it is similar to SkySafari and only $4.99. An additional $99.00 Wifi adapter is available which allows wireless alignment and Goto control of Celestron mounts.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: HeyJP]
      #5388515 - 08/26/12 07:02 PM

Use nexremote and you don't have to deal with the handset at all, especially if you get a wireless gamepad.

dwitek
sage

Reged: 07/03/08

Loc: White Lake, Michigan
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5406542 - 09/06/12 01:16 PM

One thing I notice with the old controller is that it takes a long time to cycle through the "Constellation" list if you want to do tours through one in particular. Getting to Auriga is not bad but if you're trying to navigate to Monoceros, for example, it can take 6-7 minutes. Is the cycle time through this list improved on the Nexstar+?

JoeR
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Columbus, OH
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: dwitek]
      #5406553 - 09/06/12 01:24 PM

Sadly it is not. That is my biggest gripe with the NexStar controller. Meade Autostar II does this much better.

teskridg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: PA
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: JoeR]
      #5437685 - 09/24/12 09:14 AM

Unc: When news of this Nexstar+ new version HC came some months ago, I responded by buying a spare older version, with the Messier and NGC buttons, in case mine went bad. I guess that tells you how old I am and which version I strongly prefer. This new NexStar+ is like the "New Coke"; I always preferred the classic Coke and hated the New Coke, and apparently I wasn't alone. I had heard that the Coca Cola company was trying to edge the taste of Coke towards that of Pepsi, and of course, if Coke customers had wanted that, then they would have bought Pepsi. Similarly, one of the selling points mentioned often on these fora for the Celestron over the Meade are much more user intuitive hand control operations. If Celestron buyers wanted to scroll through a series of choices like the Meade HC requires, then perhaps some of them would have chosen Meade in the first place.
If I were upgrading the Celestron hand controller, I would add "Constellation Tour" to the List button; I think it would be neat to see a list of the best targets in a given constellation. I'd also add a spiral search like the Meade has; for those occasions when I want to find objects myself without goto, I found this feature invaluable on the Meade HC. Tim

Edited by teskridg (09/24/12 09:18 AM)

troutinco

Reged: 06/11/12

Loc: Littleton, CO
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: teskridg]
      #5437920 - 09/24/12 11:41 AM

Having never used the old one, I think this controller is really easy.

I'm relating the "I hate it" feelings to changes were made that now you have to learn again, therefore not as good as you currently have.

I get it, I have the issue when Autodesk decides to move a command in AutoCAD I use all the time. They give it a different picture in the ribbon and tool bars, call it something completely different than what it was last version but keep the function the same. I hate that but soon learn where it is and am just as fast as before, until they do it again. Dont get me started on when the company I work for decideds to do it to their software.....

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: troutinco]
      #5439343 - 09/25/12 09:09 AM

Not really. The new one has some nice features, but it's lost functionality, like the ability to call up catalogs and enter objects with one button push.

FlyBD5
sage

Reged: 02/12/13

Loc: Boston MA
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5717593 - 03/07/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

No substitute for large print and volume...at least not at my age!

Stan

Umm... NexRemote on your PC screen?

sonny.barile
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: In the middle of the glow.
Re: NexStar vs NexStar+ Hand Controller new [Re: FlyBD5]
      #5733258 - 03/14/13 11:33 PM

trout I use Pro E and it is the same thing. Every couple of years they move everything and change all of the icon representations. All in the interest of making it "dummy proof".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5588

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics