Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
NXS 5.21 handset new
      #5716067 - 03/06/13 09:46 AM

Last night was one rare night here where was able to pull scope out. Things worked great for a while but then when entered a go-to (star, ic, messier, etc) the scope would not move. I had to press a few times on enter button then would start to move then as soon as I let off the scope would stop, then repressing and holding enter button down was the only way it would continue moving???? It was 24* but have had it out in colder weather 10* and did not happen then... Jiggled all connections and no help, anyone ever encounter this before?

Also is a new handset, is on a MC 5.07 version, I also reset it to factory settings. My old one was a 4.21 version. I also just found that when go to EQ North auto align is does not go to stars selected automaticly and the old handset did?? Is this common in the new version handsets? PS am on a wedge,
Thanks Kasey

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5716130 - 03/06/13 10:28 AM

You might try flashing the HC firmware using the CFM program and updating the MC firmware to the current v.5.14.

Stan

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5716140 - 03/06/13 10:35 AM

I did not know was a new MC version out, is it fairly new? You also think there may be a glitch in the handset and just reflash it to make sure is all good?

Will give it a try, thanks for the input, Kasey

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5716461 - 03/06/13 01:53 PM

Hi Kasey,

Looking at your "Bio" I assume you're referring to the use of your "9.25" here. (?) If so, is there any chance, (and despite "jiggling connections"), that you are indeed getting a breakdown: intermittent or otherwise: in your external power supply ?

Discontinuity in the cord itself ? Internal malfunction of a transformer, (if this is what you're using) ?

Have you tried swapping, temporarily, to an alternative power source?

Best regards,
Tel

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
      #5716548 - 03/06/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

You also think there may be a glitch in the handset and just reflash it to make sure is all good?

Yes. I suspect static electricity zaps the memory, or maybe cosmic rays.

My NexStar 5SE failed to Solar System Align on Jupiter one night when Jupiter was up very high. The message was that there were no planets in view. I then went through the menu to find out my setting for elevation threshold and found some funny characters (like a backwards question mark or something, I don't remember). I changed the value to the horizon and then it worked. After that I re-flashed the memory because I figured other memory locations could have been buggered.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: Tel]
      #5716561 - 03/06/13 02:35 PM

I am using the 120/12V power supply. If I was losing power wouldn't the display blank out and scope lose alignment??? Also the discrepance I found in EQ auto align where it will not slew to target area on its own.. I will try another power supply as I have 2 of them... Thanks Kasey

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5716710 - 03/06/13 03:55 PM

Hi Kasey,

From what you describe, I'm sure you're right and that you're existing power supply is OK. I just believe in checking the basics before making any judgement about the more complicated; after all, I'd kick myself if I'd have worked the other way round, only to find a duff transformer to be the cause.

And, if you've a second unit, process of elimination will easily confirm a good supply from the original or not ! It's surely got to be worth a try (?)

Best regards,
Tel

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: Tel]
      #5717157 - 03/06/13 07:55 PM

Ok just reflashed MC from 5.07 to 5.14 and tried EQ auto align and scope slewed to target as old handset did. No matter what I tried tho could not get H/C to reflash. Would show initializing but the would go to alignment set-up and never stay in programing mode.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: NXS 5.21 handset [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5717702 - 03/07/13 03:38 AM

You do know that the new Nexstar+ HC has a new system for programming it - the Celestron Firmware Manager (CFM)?

The old HCupdate program won't work.

The new HC has the buttons in different places and contoured scroll up and down buttons.

Chris

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5717790 - 03/07/13 06:46 AM

Yes I noticed that, the info button is lower center rather than lower left. Then I guess I will be unable to reflash it and verify it has no flaws..

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#5718522 - 03/07/13 02:12 PM

You can upgrade the Nexstar+ HC using the Celestron Firmware Manager.

Chris

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5718587 - 03/07/13 02:41 PM

Down load this to your computer and the Run the program to install it on your desktop. Once you have the program loaded open it and follow the prompts to upgrade your hand controller.

Stan

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownlo...,7

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5718695 - 03/07/13 03:35 PM

Hey Stan I tried it last night but could not get handset to accept it. pushing the back & info buttons like on old 4.21 HC. Could get HC screen to read initializing but then went into align mode, tried it several times..
Kasey

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

#5718825 - 03/07/13 04:59 PM

You press the Celestron logo button and the 'Menu' button while turning on the mount. They are the 2 LH lower buttons on the pad.

Stan

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5718880 - 03/07/13 05:24 PM

No wonder it wouldn't work Hope will be able to try it tonight.. the pic that I saw with that download showed the old HC buttons pushed

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5724222 - 03/10/13 04:30 PM

Well went to try and reflash HS but could not get the download to download right. I don't know what's up with it. Have had no problem downloading the other programs for old handset ot motor control. I even upgraded to latest java but windows won't download it as it does all other downloads. Am running windows 7... Anyone else have any problems???
Thanks Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5724901 - 03/10/13 11:03 PM

Finally got it to download, good grief... Just a FYI I would suggest looking to their support page and copy their answer to a question from someone about new handset. It has the download instructions and the hoops one must go thru to get it to download and work

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#5725930 - 03/11/13 02:02 PM

The link for download instructions

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewar...

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5726171 - 03/11/13 03:49 PM

Yikes, I half expected to see things like "eye of newt, hair of bat", or "while holding a dead cat over your left should raise your right foot and repeat the following ... "

Ok seriously, if you have Java already installed it's not very complicated at all. There's now more hand holding at the beginning of the process so folks who are un familiar doing a firmware update get some extra guidance. I guess it appears more complicated when it's all laid out like that but after you do it once or twice it becomes a piece of cake.

Edited by mclewis1 (03/11/13 03:50 PM)

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: NXS 5.21 handset new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5726445 - 03/11/13 05:46 PM

I've done quite a lot of upgrading NS+ HCs and there doesn't seem to be any difficulty to it. It's certainly faster than the previous HC updater.

It's intended to be easier, for example it searches for the serial port so you don't need to select the correct one. And almost all of the time I find that there's no need to do anything to the HC, the CFM switches it to download mode automatically. If it doesn't there is a wizard that explains exactly what buttons to press, with diagrams.

Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 967

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics