Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Frank @ Van]
      #5692806 - 02/21/13 01:49 PM

Frank...this is great info

Is it a standard ethernet cable then?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Frank @ Van]
      #5704765 - 02/28/13 06:05 AM

Quote:

I found that you can use a long Ethernet cable to replace the one comes with the mount.

i have been advised NOT to use a standard ethernet cable.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: HowardK]
      #5706021 - 02/28/13 07:19 PM

I just checked the pin for pin continuity on my AZ-EQ6 handset cable vs. a straight through Ethernet cable and they both appear to be straight through. Oh sure the wire colors are different (one is using a telephone industry standard wire colors and the other is using an Ethernet standard wire colors), but the pin for pin continuity appears to be the same. In the case of a handset cable, I don't think it matters how that pin for pin continuity gets there, just that it does. Or am I somehow tragically mistaken?

Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5706300 - 02/28/13 10:09 PM

The normal Ethernet cable has a pair of wire switched. The straight through one should be OK.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Bluejay08]
      #5706344 - 02/28/13 10:36 PM

Normal Ethernet patch cables are straight through. With 10/100 Ethernet, cross-over cables were needed when going direct NIC to NIC without a hub or switch inbetween. These days most NICs are auto-MDIX and all gigabit Ethernet NICs are auto-MDIX by definition. So cross-over cables are rarely needed with most Ethernet equipment manufactured in the last five years or so. If in doubt, get out the DVM or VOM set to continuity test and check the continuity. For this particular (non-Ethernet) application it doesn't matter which wires, pairs, split pairs, etc. are used in the cable so long as the net resulting continuity measures pin 1-1, 2-2, ..., 8-8. And make sure you are holding both ends of the cable in the same orientation so that you're not accidentally measuring 1-8, 2-7, etc.

Bluejay08

Reged: 09/29/09

#5706360 - 02/28/13 10:50 PM

My computer is still using 10/100 Ethernet :-(

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Bluejay08]
      #5708225 - 03/02/13 06:08 AM

Congrats on the mount! What are people getting for PE?

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Reged: 10/13/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5711198 - 03/03/13 06:40 PM

John,

I FINALLY got the AZ-EQ6 out today. I was in a rush and set it up without leveling. I roughly set the Lunt 80 to North and parallel to the ground. I moved the mount to the Sun and set the Tracking Rate to Solar. At that point the mount did track the Sun fairly accurately. The next time I do some solar with the mount and Lunt, I will take more time to level it and more precisely position the OTA to the Home position. Here is a picture of the setup:

Thanks for figuring out how to set up and do solar with the AZ-EQ6.

Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5711257 - 03/03/13 07:08 PM

And from the other side:

Jack Huerkamp

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

#5711611 - 03/03/13 10:10 PM

Using the second saddle as a lightweight counterweight.

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#5711773 - 03/03/13 11:58 PM

Nice Jack.

JohnD

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: johnpd]
      #5711869 - 03/04/13 01:57 AM

Beautyful mount!

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

#5712033 - 03/04/13 07:56 AM

Actually I was going to place my Orion ED80 with Baader white light filter on it. But I needed to add a Vixen dovetail to the OTA and decided to work on that later. The saddle did work well as a counterweight.

Jack Huerkamp

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5712452 - 03/04/13 12:43 PM

Jack if it's not much to ask,how are the vibration dumping times in equatorial configuration?
I'm asking because i'm really interested for this mount for DSO photography.
It could cost me more or less about the same i would spend for an Atlas with modified clutches and counterweight shaft...so..i was thinking why not to try the new mount at this point

Edited by Mike X. (03/04/13 02:24 PM)

Jack Huerkamp
Vendor - Waning Moon

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 new [Re: Mike X.]
      #5712493 - 03/04/13 01:10 PM

I have not yet tried it in EQ mode under "real" stars. However there is a gentleman who has used his 10" f/5 Newtonian on his AZ-EQ6 with autoguiding and gotten excellent results.

Jack Huerkamp

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

#5712634 - 03/04/13 02:25 PM

Thank you Jack,yes i've seen the photos,impressive and i must say very prommising!

Edited by Mike X. (03/04/13 02:25 PM)

martl
sage

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Innsbruck/Austria
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: Jack Huerkamp]
      #5716801 - 03/06/13 04:34 PM

Nice to read all the positive posts about the EQ6AZ! However I didn't imagine how many clouds a new mount will attract. Since it arrived at the end of November I hardly had any chance to use it due to a constant overcast.

So far I can tell that with my 8"f4 and my 80mm refractor it works flawlessly with impressive guiding accuracy. My 10"f5 is about the limit what I would consider as photographically useful. Still I can't say how good it really works with this, because I could use it only 2 times. In December I had a pinched primary yielding elongated stars, and this Monday I had gusty wind and the worst seeing I can recall for a long time. Also I spent 2 hours figuring out that the reason I didn't find any guiding star in my OAG was not the absence of guiding stars, but a defective cable to the guiding cam which for whatever reason didn't evoke an error message. Only when I exchanged the cable with that of the handbox I had again some guiding stars. Anyway I quit photographing after the first shot, because the stars were about the size of golf balls mainly because of seeing, but also partly due to the unpredictable strong wind gusts. The stars were round however.

I have read some comments in the posts above which I can only underline.
- BE CAREFUL WITH CABLES and straps! When I did the 2star-alignment on Saturday, the strap of the borrowed 5DMKII got caught with the elevation screw, nearly tearing off flattener and cam from the refractor. There are quite a few screws and levers protruding, so it's a smart move to think twice about cables and camera straps BEFORE you start the alignment or execute a long goto.

- The original spiral cable is not satisfying. I exchanged it against a flat Lan-cable which works so far without any problems and doesn't get nearly as stiff as the spiral one in freezing temperatures.
- The polar scope, once properly adjusted, is accurate enough for photographic applications with autoguider for me. I screwed down the eyepiece with a washer of the optimum thickness to eliminate play before adjusting the reticle of the polar scope. Everything firm and in focus since then.
- Because the hand controller gives out the hour angle of Polaris, the silver index plate at the bottom of the polar scope (copied from the venerable SP mounts) is not really of use. However, with a small modification you can dial in the given hour angle much more precisely than by eyeballing. I fastened the setting circles of the 2 axes enough that they can't be moved accidentially, turned the mount until the reticle is in the 12h-position and inscribed a mark on the RA circle. All you have to do then is to turn the RA axis to that mark, make sure that you set the silver index plate to 12 and then turn the mount until it reads the correct hour angle. To avoid counting the index marks you may wish (as I did) to inscribe the hours on the index plate with a permanent pen, because the marks already there go in the wrong direction, month 10 corresponds to 2 o'clock. BTW, don't put too much emphasis on the deviation readings of the HC. After exchanging the cables on Monday I had to repeat the alingnment, and without having anything changed the numbers went from spot on to considerably off. I think this is more a matter of how exactly you place the alingnment star in the middle of the field.

- For optimum goto accuracy, it seems to be necessary - as the manual also states - to deactivate the additional encoders. From what I experienced, it seems to me that the 2star-alignment gives better results when the encoders are deactivated. On Monday I took some time to play around after I decided to pack away my camera. The initial 2star-alignment was done with encoders off, all objects were in the field, but not dead-center of my 7mm Nagler, which gives about 190x in my 10". I have no experiance with goto scopes so far, but I can live with this performance. When I activated the encoders during that session, results got slightly worse (and yes, you can shift the scope manually and it finds back its position). However with encoders on during alingnment in previous sessions, objects were not centered very well in the field of my Dslr. Not far off, but I hat to reframe them manually. Of course these remarks on goto accuracy are based on the very few occasions I could use the mount, other users may have made different experiences.

All in all, The EQ6AZ seems to be a great mount for mobile observing and photographing, at least I don't regret the money forked out for that.

CS
Martin

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: martl]
      #5716928 - 03/06/13 05:42 PM

Very nice report Martin!Thank you!!
You said that the 10" is about the limit for Photographic use.
You are saying that regarding weight (i suspect so) or regarding the focal length?
I am wondering if this nice mount can handle an RC8 with a small ED scope for DSO photography.It seems a nice alternative to the CGEM/Atlas

Edited by Mike X. (03/06/13 05:42 PM)

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: martl]
      #5717758 - 03/07/13 05:37 AM

I finally tried my Mallincam Xtreme video camera on my AZ/EQ6. I was using Alt/Az mode with 2-star alignment. I did not have much "GoTo" problems with most M objects. Had some difficulty with some NGC objects. I was able to bring in M42, M51, M1, the Horsehead, M104, NGC4631. Had some issues finding M46, NGC4565, M4038/9. I had to fine tune them through the finderscope.

Using a C-8 @ f/3.3. Forgot to turn off the auxiliary encoders. Will try again with those off to see if it makes a difference.

JohnD

Edited by johnpd (03/07/13 06:12 AM)

martl
sage

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Innsbruck/Austria
Re: Preliminary comments on new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 [Re: Mike X.]
      #5717784 - 03/07/13 06:34 AM

No, more in regards to the combination of weight and tube lenght. A 10"f5 Newton is quite a substantial piece of equipment. an 8" or even 10" RC should be handled without problems because it is less sensitive to wind gusts.

CS
Martin

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8215

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics