Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
sealevel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Florida
Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new
      #5716403 - 03/06/13 01:29 PM

Hi All,
I have a home SkyShed Pod observatory, with one bay, that is located in southwest Florida. Once my Mallincam Xtreme X2 camera and monitor is setup, will I have to break it down after an evening of use and bring the Mallincam camera indoors? Or, is the Mallincam designed to deal with observatory environmental conditions, hot or cold? Thanks, much.

Davio R.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new [Re: sealevel]
      #5716619 - 03/06/13 03:07 PM

Davio,

My Mallincam lives in a POD year round (+95 to -20F) with no issues. Rock does the same thing, his test Mallincams live out in his observatory in Ottawa. He says he builds the Mallincams out of components designed to handled virtually any temperatures.

The one thing you do have to manage is moisture (understandably). I keep my camera stored with desiccant bags to help keep thing relatively dry. This also helps prevent moisture build up on the CCD (because of the cooler and really moist nights). When it's not on the scope I store my camera in a sealed ziplock bag with those desiccant bags. I also put the bag over the camera even when it's stored on the scope, it's not sealed but it does keep things a bit drier. I try to keep a focal reducer or filter on the camera's nose piece so there's always relatively dry air trapped against the CCD. This helps reduce dew from forming on the CCD.

With a new camera you will have less of an issue with this as Rock is now using an anti dew coating on the CCD window.

Edited by mclewis1 (03/06/13 03:21 PM)

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5716849 - 03/06/13 05:03 PM

I have a pod as well. 3 Bay. I live next to the pacific so probably have the same humidity/temp factors as you do. Daytime temps can get pretty high in the pod but I shield the bays to help with inside temps.

I leave my speco and mallincam in the OB 24/7. I don't seal it but I do run a dehumidifier in the pod when I am not using the observatory. My dehumidifier uses a drain hose so I cut a small hole in one of the bays, routed the house out and used some grommets to seal the hole. Works great. 90% humidity outside, 30% inside.

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new [Re: sealevel]
      #5717430 - 03/06/13 10:33 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Hi Davio,

I have a CPC 1100 in a roll-off observatory. I leave my Speco monitor in the observatory permanently, but I bring my MallinCam VSS+ in after each session and store it in the case shown below.

There's probably no real reason not to leave it in the observatory, but the case makes it easier to transport the camera and portable monitor I have when I observe from a remote location.

Don

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage [Re: Digital Don]
      #5717798 - 03/07/13 06:56 AM

Very nice case set up Don, Hey Don can I ask you how you have your sequence of diag/ crayford/ F/R/ camera set up? I have seen pics you have posted of your pier mount (very nice) and just wondered how your set-up to get the reduction you get for your pics.. Thanks Kasey

mega256
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: N of Tampa
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5719536 - 03/07/13 10:26 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

My setup C14 and @F2 with camera on front stays set up in my POD..
I cover the scope with a aluminized cover and mount a dew
prevention device under the cover,side of mount..

Eva-dry Renewable EDV-300/E-333

It works well even in HOT DAMP FLORIDA...I need to recharge about every 2 mo..

Edited by mega256 (03/07/13 10:27 PM)

Digital Don
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/04

Loc: Manteno, IL
      #5719557 - 03/07/13 10:40 PM

Thanks Kasey! On my setup, I have a FeatherTouch Crayord focuser, 2" diagonal, then the MallinCam with an MFR-5 attached. I also have one 5mm spacer between the elements of the MFR-5.

My particular CPC 1100 had quite a bit of image shift when I got it and I guess I'm too lazy to try to eliminate it some other way. That's the reason I have the FeatherTouch.

The downside is that the further away from the focal plane the image sensor is placed, the less focal reduction you get.

Hope that helps!

Don

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Mallicam Xtreme X2 & Monitor - Observatory Storage new [Re: Digital Don]
      #5720029 - 03/08/13 08:42 AM

Thank you Don, Have you ever tried to compute your fl? I gave up on using the Denkmeier till I get things figured out better... Just wish weather would coordinate with time off ,, Thanks again Don
Kasey

sealevel
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/09/09

Loc: Florida
      #5720167 - 03/08/13 09:58 AM

Hi Mark, Dave, Don, Bob & others,
Thanks for all your help and input. Your answers are all priceless...

Davio R.

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 710

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics