Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
CosmoSat
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/24/09

Loc: India
Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: John Kuraoka]
      #5716554 - 03/06/13 02:33 PM

If you are considering a standard sized mount...have a look at these two too..

GSO SkyView Deluxe Alt-Az Mount

Explore Scientific TwiLight I Alt-Azimuth Mount and Tripod

Clear Skies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
      #5717435 - 03/06/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

Shhh! Keep your voice down! I have my sights on it, but I'll be getting together later with Jon Isaacs, who has one, so I can make sure it'll really save me some size and weight over my current setup. Plus, he has a few other ideas I'd like to try out.

Seriously, if someone beats me to it, then it wasn't meant to be. There's always the next deal.

You're gonna like it. I'm supposed to hook up with Jon, too, but I've been too crazy busy to get down south. Hope to do that soon, I have a 1yr old grandson I'd like to see in San Diego.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5717465 - 03/06/13 10:47 PM

This is the kind of product that slays me.

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=277-8054

Essentially $900 for a 5 lb limit alt/az mount. But hey, you'll look like someone special amongst the proletariat.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5717480 - 03/06/13 10:52 PM

John, one other possible consideration is this:

AZ4 mount

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=277-16655

I have one of these and it works very well with my 6" Newt. But it does not have micro controls, and there is a fair amount of stiction in the joints and for a light scope I think the stiction would drive someone nuts. But, it works well for a heavier scope. The stiction is bad when it hasn't been used in a while and gets better during a session. Just another option.

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
      #5717590 - 03/07/13 12:51 AM

I just got in from looking for some doubles and watching Jupiter through the 11mm, and am now pretty much convinced that micro controls will be a significant enhancement to usability. Man, the Earth spins fast!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5717765 - 03/07/13 06:00 AM

Quote:

Essentially $900 for a 5 lb limit alt/az mount. But hey, you'll look like someone special amongst the proletariat.

Quality costs money. There is more to a mount than just the fact that it has slow motion controls and can carry a certain load. Just the quality of the gears and bearings...

This mount is specifically designed for the FC-60. When one is thinking smaller is better, then a different mindset is required.

Personally, it's too rich for my blood but I do understand that it's also of significantly higher quality than alt-az mounts I own.

jon

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5717786 - 03/07/13 06:40 AM

Quote:

I just got in from looking for some doubles and watching Jupiter through the 11mm, and am now pretty much convinced that micro controls will be a significant enhancement to usability. Man, the Earth spins fast!

It does -- but remember that you will end up twiddling two controls, not one. If you really want smooth tracking on a manual mount with slo-mos, equatorial is the way to go.

An entirely different idea would be one of iOptron's low-end Go To mounts.

In any case, my prediction is that you will either get a mount that's stabler and smoother than your current rig or one that's more portable, but not both at once.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5717839 - 03/07/13 07:41 AM

Quote:

It does -- but remember that you will end up twiddling two controls, not one. If you really want smooth tracking on a manual mount with slo-mos, equatorial is the way to go.

It the mount is reasonable stable, it's not difficult to track using both hands. And too, in many parts of the sky, the motion is predominately only one axis.

Jon

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5718444 - 03/07/13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quality costs money. There is more to a mount than just the fact that it has slow motion controls and can carry a certain load. Just the quality of the gears and bearings...

Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Unless that Takahashi mount is made of a rare metal... Sure, the bearings and gears might be made with a tighter tolerance, and perhaps the metal is a bit better. But the real reason it's priced so high is because the Takahashi buyer expects it to be higher. If that mount cost $399, no one would believe a Takahashi mount could be so cheap. And, that mount probably really is only worth $399 from a strict product comparison.

I know you discount status as part of the buying equation, but the fact is, owning a Takahashi telescope is as much about status as it is about a well made product. Nothing wrong with that. It's just the way it is.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5718486 - 03/07/13 01:52 PM

Quote:

Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Unless that Takahashi mount is made of a rare metal... Sure, the bearings and gears might be made with a tighter tolerance, and perhaps the metal is a bit better. But the real reason it's priced so high is because the Takahashi buyer expects it to be higher. If that mount cost $399, no one would believe a Takahashi mount could be so cheap. And, that mount probably really is only worth $399 from a strict product comparison.

I know you discount status as part of the buying equation, but the fact is, owning a Takahashi telescope is as much about status as it is about a well made product. Nothing wrong with that. It's just the way it is.

Do you really think you can evaluate the cost of manufacturing the mount without actually having seen it? Seen the fit, the feel? Have you discussed with Takahashi owners why they chose a Takahashi. Do you have an idea why someone would choose an 106 FSQ over an NP-101? There are good reasons.

I am sure there are people that buy telescopes on the basis of status. But that is neither here nor there, people buy cars, bicycles, boats because of status. But that does not make the car, bicycle, boat or whatever any less of a tool...

Do you buy things because of status?

Jon

nikdangr

Reged: 02/10/13

Loc: Annandale, VA
      #5718542 - 03/07/13 02:21 PM

Quote:

No specs, even on the Takahashi America website. No picture in Google Images except for the stock thumbnail, and you can find a picture of almost ANYTHING there. No discussion found on Google, though I guess this one will show up eventually. One retail site said it was added to its catalog in 2005. I don't think the folks at Vixen have much to worry about.

John Kuraoka
sage

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: nikdangr]
      #5719123 - 03/07/13 07:20 PM

Speaking of specs, can anyone tell me what the measurements are for the Porta II mount head (only) and for the tripod (only) when the legs are fully retracted? Also, how much does the head alone weigh?

I'm trying to get a sense of how it compares to my current setup. If it's huge, then I might just downsize instead to the Dwarf Star which will likely be as stable as what I have now (or maybe more so because it's lighter) and considerably more compact.

nikdangr

#5719586 - 03/07/13 10:57 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

Speaking of specs, can anyone tell me what the measurements are for the Porta II mount head (only) and for the tripod (only) when the legs are fully retracted? Also, how much does the head alone weigh?

I'm trying to get a sense of how it compares to my current setup. If it's huge, then I might just downsize instead to the Dwarf Star which will likely be as stable as what I have now (or maybe more so because it's lighter) and considerably more compact.

The tripod sold with the mount is 29" retracted. The head with Manny mods is 10"x8" wide and 10" tall. Those are within 1/2" and exclude the removable slow-mo and pan handles. WAG on the weight (mount only) is 12 lb. with mods. Here's a pic with my C90 Mak so you can eyeball it.

Edited by nikdangr (03/07/13 10:58 PM)

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5719628 - 03/07/13 11:23 PM

Quote:

Do you really think you can evaluate the cost of manufacturing the mount without actually having seen it? Seen the fit, the feel?

Yes, up to a point. I won't bore you as to why, but it's not hard if you've had a similar experience in manufacturing as I've had. There are only a few ways to make such an item. Cast or injection mold it, or machine it from billet. I know enough about both methods to make a judgement. I could go on about this, but you'll fall asleep. Bottom line is, send the item to Vietnam or China instead of making it in Japan and you can cut the cost to a very large degree and still have the same fit and feel. But then, oh my, it's not made in Japan anymore! It used to be we thought of Japanese-made products as junk. Now we think it's something special if it's made in Japan. Why is that? Is it because we know the cost to make anything in Japan is huge? (which it is - their demographics are a nightmare.) More costly than Germany in some cases? More costly than the US for sure! Or is there some other intangible at work here?

Quote:

Have you discussed with Takahashi owners why they chose a Takahashi. Do you have an idea why someone would choose an 106 FSQ over an NP-101? There are good reasons.

I'm sure there are good reasons. We're talking about that one alt/az mount, not those two telescopes. If you think the vast majority of Takahashi buyers are immune or unaware of this status energy, you're sorely mistaken. Of course they know. If they tell you otherwise, they're lying.

Quote:

I am sure there are people that buy telescopes on the basis of status. But that is neither here nor there, people buy cars, bicycles, boats because of status. But that does not make the car, bicycle, boat or whatever any less of a tool...

Do you buy things because of status?

Jon

No, I don't. Most of us have out-grown that impulse. But I am aware of the perception. Even if the buyer doesn't highly weigh status, others do. And if the buyer is not aware of how others perceive his status based on what he owns/buys, he's brain dead.

Again, this is not a right or wrong thing. It's just human nature. It's OK! If you're going to enter the game at this level, be prepared to pay the piper.

Ellicott

Reged: 06/01/12

Loc: Ohio
      #5719682 - 03/08/13 12:00 AM

How about this one

Desert Sky Astro DSV-M

John Kuraoka
sage

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: Ellicott]
      #5719773 - 03/08/13 01:40 AM

Thanks, nikdangr, for the info and photos - that really helps me!

The Porta II is actually smaller than I thought - heavier but more compact than the particle board Dobsonian-style tabletop mount my scope currently rides on. Also, if that's the standard tripod, it looks like it's one size up from my Bogen 3221 while not being that much longer when packed up.

The Desert Sky DSV-M is a beautiful thing. It looks like it's a size up from the Dwarf Star. Thanks!

Right now I'm thinking it's either that demo Porta II or the Dwarf Star on my current 3221. But I also just got around to adjusting my scope's stock mount, so I'll see if that improves it enough that I can overlook its bulk. I just need these clouds to clear off so I can get out and try it out!

nikdangr

#5719981 - 03/08/13 08:03 AM

I should mention that the Porta Mount II design allows adjustment of the piece to which the altitude slo-mo handle is attached to be independently rotated in 45* increments simply by removing the two allen head bolts that attach the Manny mod. Since I took those pics I have done just that to raise the handle to the 11 o'clock position so there's more room for my hand between it and the panning handle, allowing easier access to the focus knob. Takes about three minutes once you remove the scope. Oh, yeah...when you peel back the black rubber piece below the scope there's two allen wrenchs. One fits all of the allen head bolts on the mount and mod and one that fits the keyholes for adjusting the tension on both axis. No tools to carry!

Edited by nikdangr (03/08/13 08:16 AM)

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5720448 - 03/08/13 12:37 PM

Danger Will Robinson!

I just put my C90 on the Porta II and I'd forgotten about the finder scope position. You might want to get a Manny bracket, or mount a second finder bracket to the OTA.

Here are more OTAs on the mount. The other one is the AZ4. It's bigger and heavier with the stainless steel legs.

John Kuraoka
sage

Re: Tripod/mount advice for 90mm Mak-Cas new [Re: nikdangr]
      #5720525 - 03/08/13 01:17 PM

I just tried to pull the trigger on that demo Porta II, thinking that way I'd have a second tripod and mount when I get a second scope (probably something like an ST-80 which would complement the 90mm Mak and still be highly portable for camping with the crew). But the sales rep was out when I called, and I was told to send him an email. So I sent that off. Probably won't hear back until Monday.

That may be just as well (for me, not Mr. Star Guy), because that Dwarf Star looks really sweet too. The question, which I alone can answer, is whether I want slo-mo controls or the smallest rig. If I was concerned about packing the stock Dobsonian-style mount, the Porta II is smaller but very nearly as awkwardly shaped when it comes to fitting it like a puzzle piece into the fully packed trunk of a compact sedan.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, whichever one I get now, I get the other one later, which would also neatly fulfill Tony's prediction!

John Kuraoka
sage

#5720545 - 03/08/13 01:29 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Paco_Grande!

I just double-checked, and my Orion 90mm has the dovetail on the side; if it's at 3:00, the finder is at 11:00. So it'll work, whew!

Looking at your photos, I think that tripod, if it's the stock tripod, is heftier than my Bogen 3221, making the whole system a marked upgrade to what I have, for not many more cubic inches to pack (if any). And that would actually confound Tony's prediction!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2221

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics