Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
Daniel Queen
journeyman

Reged: 02/18/13

Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware
      #5718997 - 03/07/13 06:21 PM

I have acquired an 884 tripod that is in need of the hardware to mount the telescope to the base.

I have two bolts, two nuts, a spring, and an e-clip. Would someone mind posting a picture or description of how this is supposed to be assembled? I am at least missing the knobs for the bolts.

Thanks,

Daniel

Can someone

Edited by Daniel Queen (03/08/13 08:14 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Texano78704
journeyman

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware new [Re: Daniel Queen]
      #5721444 - 03/09/13 12:26 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Will this do?

Daniel Queen
journeyman

Re: Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware new [Re: Texano78704]
      #5721468 - 03/09/13 12:52 AM

Hi Texano,

Thanks for taking the time to post this picture. It is helpful but I still have some questions. I want to know how the parts go together on the bolt that screws into the base of the telescope.

From your picture it looks like the only pieces on the bottom of the base plate are the knob and the 1/4-20 bolt. From other pictures I have found it looks like the last piece to go on the bolt on the other side is the nut. I know that there is at least a spring under the nut but is there anything else? I have seen mention of an e-clip and, if it is there, presumably it keeps the bolt from falling through out the bottom of the base plate. How long are the bolts? The bolts that I received are the wrong thread size and likely the wrong length too.

I can probably kludge this together with the information that I have now but it would be nice if I could save myself some unforeseen trouble if I put it together properly.

Thanks again!

Texano78704
journeyman

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Houston, Texas
      #5722377 - 03/09/13 01:48 PM

The knob and bolt are (as far as I can tell) one piece. The bolt actually screws through the base and has a relief (not sure if that is the right term) behind the threads, so that the bolt move freely through the hole in the base after screwing the threaded part through the base. The only thing that retains the bolt in the base are the threads of the bolt. There are no retainer clips or springs.

The bolt length, not including the knob is 1 3/16 inches. The threaded diameter is 0.25 inch and the part that is not threaded is about 0.20 inch. Does that help?

astrogeoguy

Reged: 07/02/11

Loc: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
Re: Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware new [Re: Texano78704]
      #5722561 - 03/09/13 04:16 PM

Bolts up through bottom, then spring, then small washer, and finally the clip goes above the washer - just where the bolt threads disappear (i.e., narrows). When it's right, each bolt should float in place and be springy when the bare top end of the bolt is pressed.

Chris

Christopher EricksonModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/08/06

Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii
Re: Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware new [Re: astrogeoguy]
      #5722875 - 03/09/13 07:36 PM

On some tripods, the screws are too long and screwing the knobs all the way into the base of the telescope will crush and ruin the C-clips (a.k.a. E-clips). Adding a fender washer or two between the knob and the bottom of the mounting plate will prevent this problem from happening.

If the C-clips have already been damaged and/or lost, you can substitute O-rings purchased from a local hardware or auto parts store.

Daniel Queen
journeyman

Re: Meade 884 Tripod - Telescope mount hardware new [Re: Christopher Erickson]
      #5723722 - 03/10/13 11:39 AM

Great, thanks everyone for the responses. I can now see how the parts fit together.

It sounds like the diameter of the unthreaded shaft on the original bolts is smaller than the outer diameter of the threads. I don't have the original bolts and the diameter of the unthreaded portion at the base on the 1/4-20 bolts from the hardware store too large to allow the bolts to float freely.

Edited by Daniel Queen (03/10/13 12:13 PM)

Daniel Queen
journeyman

#5724397 - 03/10/13 05:56 PM

Thanks again everybody. I will see about ordering replacements parts tomorrow. In the meantime I filed down some bolts so they fit properly.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1082

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics