Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
My first night with the Atlas Pro (Edge HD 11) new
      #5717527 - 03/06/13 11:39 PM

First night out with the Atlas Pro with my Edge HD 11. My previous system was the Meade ETX 125 PE, which I loved.

First, this mount is quiet! I had it in alt-az mode, and tracking was rock solid. It handled the Edge well, as focus and even tapping on the tube didn't create much in the way of visible vibration.

The dual-encoders thing is pretty slick. I released the clutches, turned the thing 180 degrees, pointed it up about 40 degrees, engaged the clutches and then did a goto. Dead on, same as before I released the clutches. Cool!

I also used it as a camera tripod with my 5D mounted to the back of the scope. Performance was a little worse than I expected as there's a bit of stiction in azimuth when moving it manually. I'm not sure why. Maybe I didn't have it balanced properly. I got a lot of decent shots for my first time out.

Overall, for the first night, I'm so happy I'm not sure I'll sleep!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: My first night with the Atlas Pro (Edge HD 11) new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5717543 - 03/06/13 11:56 PM

Is the Atlas Pro the Alt/AZ - EQ version? Do you think it would hold your C11 EdgeHD in Alt/Az dual scope mode? I would love to have a refractor on one side and my C11 on the other for public outreach astronomy. Didn't know about the dual-encoder feature. I owned an Atlas but sold it when I bought the AP900GTO for imaging. I the idea that clutches can be loosen, scope moved and clutches tightened without having to realign. Always thought the Atlas motors were pretty quiet.

I have the 11 EdgeHD. It's a nice scope. Much more manageable piece than the CPC-11 setup. The 11 EdgeHD is a moderate weight by itself.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: My first night with the Atlas Pro (Edge HD 11) new [Re: JMW]
      #5717553 - 03/07/13 12:04 AM

Yes, this is the alt-az/eq version, as I had it in alt-az mode tonight. I didn't have the second saddle attached but I will be using it in that mode with a small refractor on the other side soon.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

#5717610 - 03/07/13 01:16 AM

Cool, so you had no problem with the C11 EdgeHD in alt-az mode. I may have to save up for this mount. I would love to have my SV115T on the mount at the same time as my C11.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5718958 - 03/07/13 05:58 PM

Glad to hear you had a good first light! I'm hoping for clear skies tomorrow night so I can get my setup out!

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Re: My first night with the Atlas Pro (Edge HD 11) new [Re: JMW]
      #5719233 - 03/07/13 08:05 PM

Quote:

Cool, so you had no problem with the C11 EdgeHD in alt-az mode. I may have to save up for this mount. I would love to have my SV115T on the mount at the same time as my C11.

I can't see any reason that would be a problem. What could be the difference between one scope and a bunch of counter weights, and two scopes, other than alignment? Seems like it should work to me, but they do note that there's no way to align either scope in the left-right direction (alt-az) so you might have to come up with your own method for that. I might as well.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Re: My first night with the Atlas Pro (Edge HD 11) [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5719262 - 03/07/13 08:17 PM

I have a ADM MaxGuider that can do this. It will add some weight to the lighter side but don't know why that would be a problem. I was thinking I could handle the public in two lines with the pair of scopes. I would just need a DMM (Losmandy style male/male dovetail to go between the MaxGuider and the mount. You could also buy a MaxGuider with a male bottom plate.

I have stacked my SV115T on top of my C11 Edge using the MaxGuider for adjusting the piggybacked scope. This is on a AP900GTO.

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 663

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics