Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/22/03

Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed
Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5726374 - 03/11/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

...For the asking price, compared to other custom made alt-az mounts, it's an absolute steal.
- Jim

Its going to be a long 6 weeks to wait

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #5726633 - 03/11/13 07:11 PM

jr where are those pictures!!!!!!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5730289 - 03/13/13 12:44 PM

I know, I know, I know...

I was so excited when I set it up Saturday that I forgot to take any pictures. I only realized this after it was dark.

This weekend I'll get some nice ones. Possibly the DVS-1 will be here, too, and if so, I'll do a "family shot". I plan on taking the DSV-1 with the AT60EDT and a C90 down to the local marsh where I walk my dogs and making the birders jealous. "My spotters may not be as nice as yours, Mr. Leica, but my *mount* crushes yours to dust."

- Jim

ngc2289
Post Laureate

#5730740 - 03/13/13 05:26 PM

Oh sure you expect us to believe that you just happen to forget to take pictures!! You are just so cruel!

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5730921 - 03/13/13 07:01 PM

Quote:

the AT60EDT

A few months back, after you got it, you did not seem too enthusiastic about that one. Now that some time has passed, any other thoughts about it?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: moynihan]
      #5731416 - 03/13/13 11:58 PM

It still has a hard time keeping up with any of my vintage 60mm achromats, but it is the widest TFOV instrument that I have presently, so for wide field terrestrial use, it's pretty decent.

Regards,

Jim

moynihan
Carpal Tunnel

#5731476 - 03/14/13 12:44 AM

Quote:

It still has a hard time keeping up with any of my vintage 60mm achromats,

Yes. Same with my AT66ED, in comparison to my Carton 60mm f/15, f/16.7. The latter is superb.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5736523 - 03/16/13 03:33 PM

Okay y'all. Here are some pictures and some comments after further use. First the pictures:

As for user notes, here goes. The slo-mo knobs are useful primarily for centering targets rather than tracking. It's important to take the time to properly balance the OTA(s). When balanced, smooth tracking is easier using appropriate clutch tension on the alt and az axes, and piloting the load with the panhandle. The axial movements are very smooth even loaded. The slo-mo motions aren't rough, but they aren't as smooth as when using the panhandle.

I was wrong earlier when I said you needed ringed scopes to reposition each OTA relative to the other. The requirement for a ringed OTA is if you want/need to use the counterbalance system with dual tubes (such as when you have a tiny tube and large tube mounted simultaneously).

That said, the alignment feature for aligning one OTA relative to the other is a little fussy, requiring an allen wrench and best done in daylight with a terrestrial target as a result. The fact that you can precisely align OTAs relative to one another is a wonderful plus, though, fussy or not.

Though the head is promoted as being capable of carrying a C11 and TEC 140 simultaneously, the OTA in the picture is an 11.2# 4.4" f/7 triplet. It gives you an idea of the scale of this mount head. A C11 or TEC 140 OTA are GINORMOUS compared to the shown OTA. I'm a little skeptical, but I'm also a guy who always overmounts. Later today I'm going to mount up the massive 6" f/5.9 achromat OTA to see how the mount plus counterweight system handles it. My ideal load for dual OTAs would be the AT111EDT pictured and a C8 OTA on the other side. A nice contrast in FOV and light grasp, and a very rewarding duet.

The craftsmanship is quite excellent. Raul Medina is a skilled machinist and a smart designer. I don't know how he can afford to make and sell heads of such quality for the prices he's asking, seriously.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5736583 - 03/16/13 04:21 PM

RFT anyone? Comet much? RIDONCULOUS!

That is the comical Astrotelescopes 152mm f/5.9 achromat on the DSV-3. When balanced, it actually works well. It would be better with the V-series saddle on the other side (I elected the option of both V-series and D-series saddle).

I have a DSV-1 on the way, so I may be able to move V-series saddles around between the two mounts. Also, for this "wide load" I will probably extend the tripod legs 6" to 8" to form a wider base triangle.

Pretty impressive, though, for the dimensions of the mount head, doncha think? The saggy dew shade on the 152mm is bugging me. I'm going to go out and try and shim it with some fuzzy sided Velcro tabs.

- Jim

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5736735 - 03/16/13 05:46 PM

Alright, I gotta bring it up...isn't the whole assembly tippy? The 111 looks as though it is and the 152 appears even more so? It is the only thing holding me back on this mount...the offside weight distribution. It worries me.
Beautiful mount and pics all the same however!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5736806 - 03/16/13 06:16 PM

I know the 152 is for widefield viewing but how is the vibration dampening on that scope at high mags, just for kicks.

berlebach wood legs would look so much beefier wouldn't it?

Kunama
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/22/12

Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5736846 - 03/16/13 06:31 PM

That is very impressive Jim. What encoders are in it? Do you know if they will work with Wildcards Argo Navis?

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: t.r.]
      #5736850 - 03/16/13 06:31 PM

t.r., I'll chime in here. I've used my EON 120 on this mount a quite a few times now, in a lot of different positions. I am using essentially the same tripod as Jim and I have never experienced any tendency for the set up to tip. I have had the scope hanging between two legs with the third on the opposite side with no issues. I do think the legs on my tripod may be spread more than Jim's, according to his photos. My scope weighs just under 18 lbs with diagonal, finder and medium sized eyepiece. I estimate the QBS weighs about 6 lbs. The mount itself weighs 12 lbs. The one caveat here is that I always make sure the mount is level. I've just never had any fear that it would tip. Hope this helps.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

#5736854 - 03/16/13 06:33 PM

WOW! NICE set-up!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for the pictures!!!!!!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: t.r.]
      #5736879 - 03/16/13 06:41 PM

"isn't the whole assembly tippy?"

Nope. Not even with the 152, though I do have the legs fully retracted on the tripod.

Regards,

Jim

10gauge
sage

Reged: 10/31/10

Loc: Boston
      #5736934 - 03/16/13 07:07 PM

Congratulations, Jim! Very nice alt-az setup. Fantastic photos and what a beautiful scope friendly venue!

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: Kunama]
      #5737017 - 03/16/13 07:41 PM

I bet the mount would work with Argo Navis. You can specify 10,000 tic encoders in place of the standard 7,200 tic units. I've had lousy luck with Argo Navis units, though. Two duds and poor customer service. The hardware at the time was outsourced to China and has since been brought back in house, so maybe it's better now.

Never had a hint of a problem with a Sky Commander though, and now I have two of them. For that matter, Orion's inexpensive Intelliscope DSCs have been much more reliable for me than AN.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (03/16/13 07:56 PM)

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5737027 - 03/16/13 07:44 PM

Hiya Danny.

Dunno how the 152mm will do in the vibration department. Given the svelt 12# weight of the head, I didn't think it would handle the 152mm porker. But I was wrong!

Maybe tonight I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

Jim

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
      #5737241 - 03/16/13 08:54 PM

Beautiful setup Jim!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: DSV-3 Has Landed! [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5737333 - 03/16/13 09:18 PM

Quote:

I didn't think it would handle the 152mm porker. But I was wrong!

well if I can handle my 8in ota on a dsv-1, I know that wouldn't be hard to do on your mount.

It's just that with my 8in sct when I get into high mag I have to wait a little longer than normal to have it settle down. I could put my tv gibraltar legs under then head to help...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3263

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics