Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
Attaching OTA on a 6SE new
      #5718002 - 03/07/13 09:45 AM

Hi folks. I just received my new Celestron 6SE and after unpacking and starting the assembly process using the quick start guide I'm at the point of attaching the OTA to the mount.

This may seem like a pretty dumb question, but, is the black knobbed "thumbscrew" that tightens down on the dovetail the only thing that holds the OTA to the mount? I don't know that I'm comfortable trusting one screw to hold such a valuable piece of optical equipment in place.

I only say this because it doesn't seem to have a "stop" that would keep it from sliding out the bottom of the mount if the screw somehow came loose.

Which brings me to my next question.

How do I know where on the mount to stop the OTA in the slot? Isn't there a point where it should stop on it's own?

Sorry if these seem obvious, but this is my first scope in a long time, and a lot of money invested so don't want to take any chances.

Thanks.

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: Jammer53]
      #5718019 - 03/07/13 09:58 AM

I had a 4 SE and that was the knob that holds it intact and worked great, and you just have the ability to slide OTA further up or down for your preferance.

Thanatos78621

Reged: 05/09/12

Loc: Elgin, TX
Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5718169 - 03/07/13 11:06 AM

Jim:

Both are good questions. It's only the screw holding it on but once it's tight it'll be fine. My 8SE was the same way and that single dovetail locking screw held it perfectly even after adding a DSLR and T mount..

As for where to position the telescope, the further back on the OTA you mount, the less likely you are to have the diagonal hit the base when pointing nearly straight up. With that said its better to find a point so that OTA is balanced at the center of the arm. That'll help with tracking and reduced the stress on the gearing. There have been several threads in past for this forum that cover how to balance the SE OTA.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #5718176 - 03/07/13 11:08 AM

Be sure the knob is on the underside as that's the most secure position. Make sure the vertical arm is on the left viewed from the rear. Depress the elevation dovetail to about -30 degrees and slide the scope into the slot then tighten the knob. View it from the front to assure that the rail is totally in the slot.

Jammer53

Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5718627 - 03/07/13 03:02 PM

Thanks guys.

Here's what I did. There are two "arrow" stickers that when you turn the axis with the dovetail slot almost perfectly level, then the arrow lines up perfectly with the arrow on the top of the mount arm above the hand controller. I haven't installed the 1 1/4" diagonal (45?) yet nor the 32mm Celestron Plossl.

I bought this from the original owner so it was very lightly used. I think he got it as a gift, messed with it for a month or so, and then sold it to me.

As a separate issue, there is some dust and what looks like a smudge about 5" long on the front lens. What's the best way to clean this? I have a microfiber cloth that I use to clean all of my electronics such as a monitor or flat panel tv. You get it soaking wet with warm water, wring it out as much as possible and then wipe it down. The little bit of moisture left behind will dry almost immediately without leaving any residue. Kind of like a chamois.

Would this be safe to use on the lens without causing any issues with damaging the coatings?

Thanks.

Jim

Edited by Jammer53 (03/07/13 03:08 PM)

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: Jammer53]
      #5719134 - 03/07/13 07:23 PM

Hi Jim:

First, the front lens is called the corrector plate, and some dust and a smudge will probably not hurt the views at all. If you feel you need to clean it, I'd follow the instructions here on Dr. Clay's Arksky site:
http://www.arksky.org/asoclean.htm

If you don't have all the ingredients for the solutions, just use the recommended alcohol and distilled water. The main part of the instructions are the technique of how to clean it gently so you don't damage the coatings.

-Dan

Jammer53

Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5719404 - 03/07/13 09:29 PM

Thanks Dan. If a I could use an infant's aspirator to gently blow away any dust particles. You know, the little rubber ones we used to suck the snot out of our kids noses. But in reverse. LOL.

Seems that Dr. Arksky isn't too keen on cleaning the corrector unless it's absolutely necessary, which I don't think it is in my case.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re: Attaching OTA on a 6SE [Re: Jammer53]
      #5719919 - 03/08/13 07:13 AM

Just make sure there isn't any snot in it first !

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 449

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics