Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1
Chaz659
sage

Reged: 12/08/12

Loc: Islip, NY
An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new
      #5718690 - 03/07/13 03:32 PM

Short recap - I have a Celestron 127 SLT. Purchased the NI5 about 2 weeks ago. Received it last week. Between purchase and delivery another member here posted having some difficulties with this camera. Replies to his post revealed an issue with the NI5 and AMD processors. Lo and behold, my laptop uses and AMD Phenom Dual Core 3 GHz processor. The iCap software would not work.

Other members directed me to HandyAvi and SharpCap. SharpCap has worked so far, only one attempt because of poor Long Island weather.

In the meantime I contacted Celestron support. I notified them that trouble between NI5 and AMD's has been discussed here and other forums for months! How could this be news to them!? After hours on the phone and half a dozen emails, they replied with a new driver update BUT for a different processor than mine, suggested I use only the lowest frame rate, or try an USB 3.0 board in the ExpressCard slot of the computer.

*BLEEP*!? Wrong processor?! Lowest frame rate?!

I shot off another, ummmm, less than friendly email reply after that and now the issue has been pushed up the chain to the Senior Operations Manager. Much apologies, etc., etc.

Now, we are all working together (Celestron, Image Source, and newbie ME) to resolve this so hopefully no one else in the future has to endure this problem. I let them know I was not very happy, that the majority of information and helpful tips and direction came from other sources than them. I told them the most useful info so far came from members on CN. They were kinda shaken by that, "People are talking about this on Cloudy Nights?", they asked. "They sure as hell are..several hundred views and a lot of comments on posts regarding this problem." I replied. They seem a lot more motivated since I informed them of that.

Wish me luck. Next comes uninstall, reinstall, firmware update (which I was told about here, not by customer support), driver update and one more shot at their software.

If it doesn't work, it's back to sharpCap (thanks Tel).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chaz659
sage

Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Chaz659]
      #5718724 - 03/07/13 04:01 PM

One other thing. Thank you to ALL of you that have offered suggestions and tips. You have been great to this newcomer.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5719113 - 03/07/13 07:16 PM

When a company neither designs nor manufactures a product they sell issues like these are inevitable.

Good on ya for actually letting them know about the problem(s)!

I just sold my Neximage 5.

Another issue I could point out is the drivers will cause Windows 8 crashes if you have a plug-in that allows Windows Media Player to play FLV's.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5719120 - 03/07/13 07:18 PM

Chaz:

Thanks for the update and for following up with this with Celestron! It always amazes me that people in these larger companies (Celestron, Meade, Orion, etc.) don't hang out on these forums to see what problems, suggestions, etc. members are talking about. They could learn a lot and improve their customer relations dramatically.

Many of the smaller vendors DO hang out on CN and are very helpful when problems crop up. They end up with a great reputation!

-Dan

Chaz659
sage

Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5719292 - 03/07/13 08:34 PM

Quote:

Chaz:

Thanks for the update and for following up with this with Celestron! It always amazes me that people in these larger companies (Celestron, Meade, Orion, etc.) don't hang out on these forums to see what problems, suggestions, etc. members are talking about. They could learn a lot and improve their customer relations dramatically.

Many of the smaller vendors DO hang out on CN and are very helpful when problems crop up. They end up with a great reputation!

-Dan

Gotta say, when I mentioned how much it was being discussed here the reply was really very funny. "Wait. People are talking about this on Cloudy Nights? Oh, I'm going to have to take this up to the next level." His voice actually kinda quivered like it frightened him. He tried very hard to fix this. Much better reponse than others have had from what I have read here.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5720949 - 03/08/13 06:11 PM

I've just tried it on my AMD Athlon desktop PC and it seems fine, 2500 frames acquired in 60 seconds. The PC is running Vista 32 bits.

This doesn't help your but it does show how difficult this sort of thing is, it could be some sort of dependency of the exact version of PC you have, maybe even the version of silicon.

Chris

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28 N, 81 W
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5721016 - 03/08/13 06:45 PM

All reports, positive or negative, are valuable. Now that Celestron is aware that people are discussing the issue on Cloudy Nights they can learn from such reports (if they're smart they are reading this). This helps them figure it out.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5721476 - 03/09/13 12:57 AM

All: From the Terms of Service :

Quote:

Vendor disagreements should be dealt with via the vendor - we don't want to be used as leverage. Attempts to use the forum in such a fashion will be subject to immediate removal at moderator discretion.

Fortunately, this situation has turned from a disagreement with a vendor to one of cooperation to solve a common problem. I'm glad to hear that Celestron was at least attempting to solve the problem before the discussion here was mentioned.

Chaz659
sage

Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5721534 - 03/09/13 02:41 AM

It never even occurred to me that posts here could possibly be used as "leverage". I informed them of the posts here and elsewhere so they would understand that others were experiencing the problems for quite some time, and I was very surprised they were aware of neither the problem nor the discussions. I have willingly cooperated with them, not only for resolution of my own issue, but also that others won't have to experience the same problems many have already. If my intention was to leverage this forum, I surely wouldn't be reporting it to everyone here. I have requested nothing more than assistance from them and expect nothing more in return for my cooperation than a functional NI5. I understand the need for this portion of the terms of service and don't believe I have violated them in any manner. I do appreciate your vigilance WaterMaster, and I hope no one was offended by my mentioning the CN posts to Celestron. My apologies.

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
      #5726442 - 03/11/13 05:44 PM

No apologies necessary, Chaz, and I don't believe you've violated the ToS in any manner (obviously if I did, I would have disappeared the thread). I was just hoping to use your experience as a 'teaching opportunity', to show others the right way to address these kinds of problems.

I must admit, I was a little surprised that Celestron wasn't aware of the problem, or the discussions here in the NexStar forum (it's been my experience that most of the vendors in our hobby pay attention to what's going on here).

rg55
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/02/08

Loc: western US
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5728341 - 03/12/13 02:59 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

This is good. While I've been enjoying my NI5, there are questions and problems I still have with it, and I've been less than impressed with Celestron's efforts to provide support and answers. You can find a slow accumulation of FAQs on their website, but it's not systematic and is frankly inadequate. I hope that they start stepping up to this. I even mentioned that in a review I did for Amazon.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: rg55]
      #5728779 - 03/12/13 06:44 PM

Very nice, Richard! If I'm not mistaken those two foreground craters are Atlas and Hercules. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Really good job, regardless.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Skip]
      #5729704 - 03/13/13 05:25 AM

Great capture Richard.

There's STRONG evidence that you are correct Skip.

Regards. Peter

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5730266 - 03/13/13 12:32 PM

Quote:

[sigh] I know, I know, Peter. I was trying to NOT sound like a know-it-all.

[whisper] Actually, I had to look it up in my copy of Thierry Legault's "New Atlas of the Moon". [whisper]

Edited by Skip (03/13/13 12:34 PM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Skip]
      #5730398 - 03/13/13 01:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[sigh] I know, I know, Peter. I was trying to NOT sound like a know-it-all.

[whisper] Actually, I had to look it up in my copy of Thierry Legault's "New Atlas of the Moon". [whisper]

I promise not to tell a soul.

Regards. Peter.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: An update to MY struggle with NexImage 5 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5730443 - 03/13/13 02:11 PM

Now your just name dropping.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1041

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics