Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/13/08

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
So which do you like better? new
      #5720327 - 03/08/13 11:31 AM

Ok, a quick poll. I've typically been posting embedded images that link to the associated webpage like so:

but I could be posting them so that they take you directly to the full sized image, bypassing the web page and the extra step, like so:

The only disadvantage there is that in bypassing the website, viewers don't get to see other images that may be related but not posted here. On the other hand, it's a much quicker way to get to the full sized image. So I'm just curious how many people typically click on the linked images here and which concept you prefer.

Thanks,

Beo

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Lord Beowulf]
      #5720578 - 03/08/13 01:42 PM

I prefer the link to the web page. In most cases, I just view the image here in your post and don't click on it to follow any link. But when I DO click on it, it's because I want to see more. If it links to the website, I have the option of seeing more related images or seeing more by clicking again to get a larger image.

-Dan

Tom and Beth
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/08/07

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5720689 - 03/08/13 02:50 PM

Just a note that if I set up my equipment to take a shot like that, I would soon have the Government knocking on my front door.

I'm just a few minutes (by air) from the local airport and an Air Force Base.

It's still a neat pic. I prefer the option to click again for full resolution images if they interest me enough.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5720770 - 03/08/13 04:07 PM

I like to be able to click on them to go to the web site.

mikey cee
Postmaster

Reged: 01/18/07

Loc: bellevue ne.
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: 1965healy]
      #5720984 - 03/08/13 06:30 PM

I prefer both!

Goodchild
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/08

Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: mikey cee]
      #5721158 - 03/08/13 08:42 PM

Skip the link is my vote.

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Goodchild]
      #5721305 - 03/08/13 10:12 PM

I would also prefer to go to the full-size page.

stkoepke
sage

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Abilene, Texas
      #5721360 - 03/08/13 11:03 PM

I like both options however I would probably choose another option personally....

Place a note under the image to "Click on the image for a larger view" or "for original view".

So many images that are posted on CN do not have either option.
I personally would not know I had an option if I didn't see a note letting me know.

And...

Put 2nd link in your signature line for the astrophotograghy images. If someone wants to see more.

I need to learn how to link images like this myself sometime....have to add that to my to do list.

NICE image BTW.

roscoe
curmudgeon

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: stkoepke]
      #5721742 - 03/09/13 08:05 AM

Until right now, I had no idea that I could sometimes click on peoples' photos and get taken to websites!
Jeez.....learn something every day!!!!
Russ

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: roscoe]
      #5721935 - 03/09/13 10:10 AM

Another consideration is people with slow dial-up.

Bob Moore
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/07/06

Loc: New York
Re: So which do you like better? [Re: mich_al]
      #5721954 - 03/09/13 10:21 AM

Why link it at all, they look just fine posted here on cloudy

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Tom and Beth]
      #5725556 - 03/11/13 10:43 AM

Here here! Apparently 7-8 people a week are visited by the police for this in Tucson. Of course, my understanding is the bulk of those are doing it on purpose. But besides being under the pattern for a military airbase, I'm also under the path for a hospital's medivac, and I have a fireman neighbor who is friends with the PD's helicopter patrol who think they are being nice by lighting the alleys with the night sun, from time to time.

-Rich

Quote:

Just a note that if I set up my equipment to take a shot like that, I would soon have the Government knocking on my front door.

It's still a neat pic. I prefer the option to click again for full resolution images if they interest me enough.

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5727381 - 03/12/13 02:54 AM

Thanks to all! Generally you've echoed my thoughts and concerns (except for the side discussion on lasers! ), so I'm thinking of doing something like this:

Visit Orion Ranch Observatory web page.

That gives both options and makes it clear that there's a link to something. I notice that IE puts a blue border around the images so it's apparent that they're links while Chrome does not.

The other thing I like about linking directly to the image is that you get the real image and can zoom in or out with your browser. With the Gallery 3 webpage, clicking on the image brings up the image full screen, but not full size, in some sort of javascript viewer. There's a download full size option, but that goes to a file and requires two steps to get there.

Thoughts?

Beo

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
      #5727676 - 03/12/13 09:04 AM

I personally like the option to do either as you have it above. Most of the time, but not always, if an image captivates me, I would like to go to the web page to see more.

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5728704 - 03/12/13 05:58 PM

this is done because not enough people turn on their 4-1200 watt outside lights at night
Quote:

Here here! PD's helicopter patrol who think they are being nice by lighting the alleys with the night sun, from time to time.

-Rich

Quote:

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
      #5728712 - 03/12/13 06:02 PM

If Im going to click on something I will stay and brouse around awhile

Lord Beowulf
Pooh-Bah

Re: So which do you like better? new [Re: skinnyonce]
      #5859009 - 05/14/13 12:25 AM

Ok, I've decided the extra text link is a bit of a pain and that I can do something a bit nicer. While I haven't settled on the actual icon style, here are the two alternatives now. For the first, clicking the image will give the full sized image and clicking the link icon will go to the linked web page (the format I've been using lately), while on the second, clicking the image goes to the page and the zoom icon will go to the full sized image. Thoughts? Of course I guess I could have BOTH icons, but that gets busy!

Beo

Well, nevermind. I wanted to have the icon to the right of the image like below, but try as I might there appears to be no way to get two image links on the same line! I can put two images, but not with links. Carol, presumably that's some oddity with the code. Any chance that could be fixed?

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5859257 - 05/14/13 07:34 AM

I like the link icon better.

Clicking the image is a "hidden" feature - there's no real indication that clicking it will do anything. But, if you notice that the cursor turns into a finger over the picture, and you do decide to click it, well since you're clicking an image, you should get an image - just larger. Again, there's no indication in the UI that it will do anything different.

The icon, on the other hand infers a specific action will happen. Plus sign indicates a zoom, link indicates a link to something like a web page.

So it just seems more clear to me to click the image to get to a larger image, while the link takes me to a web page. The plus sign makes it clear that you should get a larger image, but there's no clue as to what clicking the image will do in that case.

-Dan

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Joe C, Mr Greybush 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1535

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics