Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
tomatohead

Reged: 11/21/10

Remote Desktop Problem
      #5722376 - 03/09/13 01:48 PM

I hope someone can help me with this. I want to use a small laptop with XP hooked to my 125 running Autostar Suite for control of the scope and my webcam software to view what is in the eyepiece. Outside I'm running Remote Desktop. Inside I have a windows 8 machine running Remote desktop to access the outside machine.
Now the problem:
Everything works fine with Autostar Suite and control is perfect but when I try to see the video I get kicked of my LAN.
Drivers are all current I have a Linksys wireless router and the correct ports are forwarded.
One other thing, I can transfer files from the xp machine while it is outside ok.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Texano78704
journeyman

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Houston, Texas
Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: tomatohead]
      #5722384 - 03/09/13 01:52 PM

I'm not that familiar with using Remote Desktop, but it may be that the video is just requiring too much data to send over the LAN. Had you tried adjusting the color depth of the remote session?

tomatohead

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: Texano78704]
      #5722405 - 03/09/13 02:03 PM

thanks for the reply.
I can transfer data files over the LAN @ 4GB in 20 minutes in the same direction over the same machines. The webcam is a 3com home connect with a CCD sensor @ 640x480 15 fps. Even lower resolutions still kicks me me off my LAN.

Texano78704
journeyman

Reged: 01/23/13

Loc: Houston, Texas
      #5722550 - 03/09/13 04:10 PM

The resolution does make a difference, but the color depth does too. Sending video at 32 bit color depth is going to be a lot more data than sending at 24 bit or 16 bit. What do you mean by getting kicked of the LAN? Is this over an ethernet (wired) or WiFi (wireless) connection?

Daniel Queen
journeyman

Reged: 02/18/13

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: Texano78704]
      #5722554 - 03/09/13 04:12 PM

Are the graphics drivers up to date on both machines?

tomatohead

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: Daniel Queen]
      #5722617 - 03/09/13 04:39 PM

Yes graphic drivers are up to date and I am trying to operate inside my LAN (wireless). Even 8 bit disconnects.
Both machines simply disconnect from my router on video or any fast transfer with remote desktop.
For example: A file transfer in remote desktop I get disconnected but a simple file transfer while sharing doesn't.
I can stay connected indefinitely on remote desktop as long as I don't transfer quickly like video or large files. But if i simply use file sharing to transfer files I have no problems.

Daniel Queen
journeyman

Reged: 02/18/13

#5723743 - 03/10/13 11:53 AM

Sorry, I missed that you said the drivers were up to date. You might try switching the QoS setting on the router and seeing if that helps. Also, you should not have to forward any ports on the router to connect the two machines on the LAN.

tomatohead

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: Daniel Queen]
      #5725905 - 03/11/13 01:51 PM

I fooled around with the QoS settings but no change.
I forgot to mention this:
Sometimes just having to draw the desktop background image (Radiance in windows XP) was too much and I would get kicked off the LAN. Of course I changed Remote Desktop settings to not show the background and that stopped THAT problem.

Graytalon

Reged: 02/05/13

#5726341 - 03/11/13 04:58 PM

Instead of using Remote Desktop, try Remote Assistance. Remote Desktop you are basically using the desktop of your system as the desktop of the remote system. It can require A LOT of pipe to stream graphics. Remote Assistance is more of a browser based application. It's going to be "choppy", but it will allow you to control it.
I would also test the Remote Desktop connection wired. You might be better off running a cable out there. You will have 99m before you run into signal loss problems.

GT

tomatohead

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: Graytalon]
      #5726594 - 03/11/13 06:47 PM

I'm beginning to think that this may not be a problem with remote desktop but mabe remote desktop, even when its working correctly, can't do what I want to do.
Is anyone else doing this with remote desktop?

scott4comp

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Boston, MA
      #5729118 - 03/12/13 09:57 PM

try UVNC ?

tomatohead

Re: Remote Desktop Problem new [Re: scott4comp]
      #5730267 - 03/13/13 12:32 PM

Problem solved, I changed my wireless security to WPA2 and it works great.
Thanks for the suggestions.

caheaton
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5735250 - 03/15/13 11:15 PM

Funny how things that on the surface seem unrelated can have an affect. At work I was banging my head on a Java application that kept hanging (randomly and only on certain machines) while it was drawing it's menu's. Gave me fits...tried updating Java, clearing all cache, etc. but still the problem persisted. Discovered by chance that if I disable the print spooler while the program was launching the problem went away...even though the program didn't use printing! Ended up writing a little batch file to stop the spooler, launch the app and then restart the spooler and made that the program used to launch the app!

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1081

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics