Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In
      #5722959 - 03/09/13 08:38 PM

Several weeks ago, I cancelled my subscription to Astronomy Magazine because as part of their redesign, they reduced the text/font size. I believe that this was a huge mistake. Most print magazines are serving an older generation of readers, and text/font size is an important criteria for many of us. (However, I do miss Astronomy Magazine--I had been a subscriber for more than 30 years.)

As a result of cancelling Astronomy, I decided to subscribe to Amateur Astronomy and Astronomy Technology Today.

I found Amateur Astronomy to be a refreshing, interesting, plain Jane approach of a magazine. Sort of like when you want a chicken fried steak, heavy on the gravy, instead of a petite filet mignon. The 70 pages or so of articles are varied, interesting, and leave the reader with the sense that the editors understand the world of the amateur astronomer.

It has been said that Astronomy Technology Today is for gear heads. That is probably true. But, here is my perspective. Astronomy is the only hobby where I enjoy reading the ads as much as the editorial content. This magazine shows you the product, then takes you behind the scenes in discussing it. I found the 75 pages or so of articles to be technical, but not overly so. At least, I could understand them.

I am happy to recommend both these publications to prospective readers. Maybe the editors would send you a sample copy to read before subscribing.

Amateur Astronomy http://www.amateurastronomy.com/

Astronomy Technology Today https://www.astronomytechnologytoday.com/Default.asp

GeneT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: GeneT]
      #5723026 - 03/09/13 09:28 PM

Good choices Gene. I subscribe to both, and like them very much.

If I have one complaint, and for me, it's a minor one, its that Amateur Astronomy magazine isn't cheap for only 4 issues per year, but I'd still much rather have it than not.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5723360 - 03/10/13 04:29 AM

Both magazines are great reads... It depends on where You focus upon in our hobby...
Documentary where the "old school" amateur-astronomer meets the "21st century" amateur-astronomer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qSsuP27h0

RefractorPhill

gparkerson
Vendor (Astronomy Technology Today)

Reged: 01/21/05

Loc: Louisiana
      #5726122 - 03/11/13 03:36 PM

Gene,

Thanks, as always, for the kind words, and I agree with respect to Amateur Astronomy it remains one of my favorite publications. As too does Astronomy Magazine, by the way.

It sounds like you and I are of an age that shares the joys of diminishing eyesight, among other delights of advancing years. My strategy these days for handling text is to keep adding stronger prescriptions to the collection of reading glasses I keep at home: one for the big monitors of my workstation, another for my laptop and what I consider standard-sized printed text, yet another for the tablet I increasingly find myself using for reading digital versions of newspapers, magazines and books, and still another for reading text on my smartphone (as a last resort). What I really need is a pair of zoom-able reading glasses!

gparkerson

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5726169 - 03/11/13 03:47 PM

Hi, Rex.

While I understand and appreciate your perspective fully, now that I have some years of insight into what it costs to print and ship a stack of paper as large as each issue of Amateur Astronomy, I find myself wondering how Charlie manages to keep the price of subscription as low as he does. And like you, Id MUCH rather have it than not!

gparkerson

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5726176 - 03/11/13 03:50 PM

Phil,

Thanks much for the video link. Very entertaining and informative! Somehow, Id managed to miss it before now.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: gparkerson]
      #5726564 - 03/11/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

My strategy these days for handling text is to keep adding stronger prescriptions to the collection of reading glasses

I do this also. However, in my opinion, Astronomy Magazine went way to far in reducing the text/font size of their publication. I thought the type size was small, but acceptable before their recent changes. I sent the Astronomy editors a couple of queries, but they never answered. I served as Editor, AIRMAN magazine, the official magazine of the Air Force, and Editor, European Stars and Stripes. I never would have approved a reduction in the size of the type face that the editors of Astronomy Magazine did.

Please note--I do like and appreciate your publication!
GeneT

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5726797 - 03/11/13 08:31 PM

ATT has cost me a lot more than the subscription price! Ive ended up buying a few rather expensive items after reading a review of them in ATT.

AAM is a great publication, but I generally only read some copies from a friends subscription. Ive also purchased about a dozen old issues from the guy who sells them at NEAF. I do wish it had better quality pictures.

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: gparkerson]
      #5726811 - 03/11/13 08:36 PM

Quote:

Hi, Rex.

While I understand and appreciate your perspective fully, now that I have some years of insight into what it costs to print and ship a stack of paper as large as each issue of Amateur Astronomy, I find myself wondering how Charlie manages to keep the price of subscription as low as he does. And like you, Id MUCH rather have it than not!

You're right of course, Gary. I realize that a lot of work goes into each issue of Amateur Astronomy, and getting it all into print is small staff operation. Heck, Charlie may do it all himself, for all I know. It's always a treat to see it in the mailbox.

And the same goes for Astronomy Technology Today. Keep up the great work with it!

gparkerson

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: George N]
      #5727962 - 03/12/13 11:44 AM

Sorry, George. I understand completely, having myself succumbed to many of the same temptations.

City Kid
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/06/09

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5729238 - 03/12/13 10:43 PM

I subscribe to both also. They are my two favorite astronomy magazines. And Gene, I agree, I hate the new small print in Astronomy magazine.

Phil

k9yr

Reged: 05/21/08

Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: City Kid]
      #5730318 - 03/13/13 01:00 PM

ATT is a great full color magazine. Love the digital downloads so I use my IBooks on my iPad to save them. Recently had problems with mailed copies not getting sent, ATT promptly helped me and I received my back issues. A+ service

drakeSPR4
journeyman

Reged: 07/01/13

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: k9yr]
      #6629640 - 07/12/14 10:48 AM

I subscribed to Amateur Technology Today last April. As of July 12, 2014 I have yet to receive an issue. My credit card was charged for the subscription.

Edited by kkokkolis (07/12/14 06:20 PM)

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: drakeSPR4]
      #6629649 - 07/12/14 10:56 AM

Quote:

I subscribed to Amateur Technology Today last April.

Maybe because that magazine doesn't exist!

drakeSPR4
journeyman

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6629888 - 07/12/14 02:14 PM

Correction I subscribed to Astronomy Technology Today and have not received an issue, but the credit card was charged in April 2014.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: drakeSPR4]
      #6630660 - 07/12/14 10:54 PM

Contact them, something is amiss.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: mich_al]
      #6631125 - 07/13/14 10:38 AM

Quote:

This. Send them an email and see what's going on. I've dealt with them in the past (used to be a subscriber, but a 60% drop in income changes many things), and never had any problems.

Geo557Moderator
Astro-Scout

Reged: 10/10/07

Loc: SE GA
Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: desertstars]
      #6631255 - 07/13/14 11:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This. Send them an email and see what's going on. I've dealt with them in the past (used to be a subscriber, but a 60% drop in income changes many things), and never had any problems.

Agreed. And mistakes can happen so that's why it's best to contact them. ATT is an excellent publication and I'm sure that customer satisfaction is at the top of their list of priorities. And remember ATT is a bi-monthly publication (sent out once every two months) so the cycle for their subscription mail-outs could be the reason for the hold up. But as Tom mentioned, an email to them should clear things up.

drakeSPR4
journeyman

Re: Amateur Astronomy , Astronomy Technology Today In new [Re: Geo557]
      #6640774 - 07/18/14 01:51 PM

I paid Astronomy Tech Today $18 for a print/online subscription. A week ago I sent email using the contact page on their website. Also I sent email reply to their email message welcoming me to their website. As of 7-18-14 there has been absolutely no reply or magazine. 4 months
of nothing, except my credit card charged.

https://www.astronomytechnologytoday.com/Default.asp?page=67

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
      #6641197 - 07/18/14 06:14 PM

I met the fellow from AA at NEAF and he is a true gentleman. I suggest back issues as a way to get your astro-fix.

The big British magazines sold at Barnes and Noble are pretty agreeable. I feel like magazines are getting to be a thing of the past, though.

Glen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1807

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics