Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
PitchHitter

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Southern Sierras
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5724575 - 03/10/13 07:32 PM

If you don't photograph it you can't prove it....;)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: PitchHitter]
      #5724855 - 03/10/13 10:36 PM

I saw it tonight, on a very clear evening here at 7400' elevation, 36 deg N latitude. 30 min. after sunset, it was 3 degrees above the horizon against a blue background.

Though my 10x50, the fanned out tail looked around 1/2 degree long, and appeared streaky or divided. The head was a uniformly bright white ball of light. I was too taken aback to estimate a magnitude, but it must pretty bright, since I didn't notice any stars nearby.

My wife had her 8.5x42, and we oohed and ahhed. See it if you can. It's a real beauty!

Ron

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ronharper]
      #5724897 - 03/10/13 10:58 PM

I caught it tonight in my Fuji 10x50s from 40° N. There was a cloud bank over the mountains to the west that extended maybe 4° up. We first saw it when it was 6.5° up so we had about 10 minutes to look at it. As Ron said, tail was about 0.5° long. I didn't have any reference for estimating magnitude, but it was fairly obvious once seen.

It is going to be fun watching this one's apparent brightening as it moves away from the Sun.

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: btschumy]
      #5725074 - 03/11/13 01:20 AM

Its a very tough lower power binocular object. Below 15x its going to be very difficult to detect and appreciate. 20x and above seems much more practical. Ive seen it for 3 nights now. The first with my 6" F/5 refractor at 28x using a 26 Nagler and tonight using my 180mm F/6 refractor. Tonight I spotted it with my 31 Nagler at 35x, then walked up the magnification to 154x using my 7 nagler. Its a tough object to find because its very low in the sky. Tonight I caught it at about 5 degees above the horizon at 7:38pm, and had about 20 minutes of viewing time before it dipped below some very low dark clouds. Best views were with my 22 Nagler at 50x at about 1.6 deg actual field of view.
PannStarr really needs some magnification to really appreciate its beauty. Its a magnificent object to observe, its just very difficult to pick out of the low sky. It has a beautiful bright coma and a wide tail that seems to fan out very nicely. I'm estimating tonight it was it was about 30 to 40 arc minutes long in the twilight light I was observing it in. At higher magnifications you can just tell this object is screaming through our solar system and ballistic speeds in how it appears at magnifications approaching 100x.
I have 25x100 binoculars but PannStarr really needs more magnification to really see it and appreciate the beauty of how magnificent is really is.

...Ralph
38 deg latitude,
Sacramento.

PitchHitter

#5725092 - 03/11/13 01:34 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

I was looking for it last night and didn't see it. I bought the land out there east of San Diego then turned it back and SDAA bought it. It is a lousy place to view from and there are 6,000 ft, mountains between you and the horizon... Actually about a 8,000 ft. looking south of West.

Tonight a few of us met above Walkers Pass about a mile high and spotted it with my 20x100s. It could not be seen naked eye and the guy with the 7x35s had no luck. It looks like a neon "V" or check mark actually. The head was very bright and the tail was interesting but dim. In the 20x100s it was plain that this was one tail with a wispy center though some what shaped like Hale Bopp which had two distinct tails, one left a particle trail the other was an blue ion tail. See my photos on file with NASA or Cal Tech. -Rick Crockett

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
      #5725192 - 03/11/13 03:42 AM

It is hard for me because I have only one night a week to observe and rest of the week I work overnight. hope, I will see it on my night off if not cloudy.

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5725736 - 03/11/13 12:23 PM

Clouds are not letting me see it, and I'm only 4 deg North...

PitchHitter

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5725949 - 03/11/13 02:13 PM

If I may,following contrail occurs when Jet fuel (20%) water is compressed and then exhausted in the engine wake. It decompresses causing ice crystals a little ways behind the air craft and depending on weather conditions lasts for a few seconds before dispersing. While in that short crystalline state just after sunset (for the aircraft) the trail diffracts the back-light of sunset. Because it is not smoke, it forms behind the aircraft and then dissipates making it look like a moving dark comet trail. If the plane is still in the sunlight then it looks bright white. Comet PanStarrs does not look like a contrail as described by a guy trying hard to claim to be the first from the United States in over 20 publications. He should be so embarrassed because the comet does not have a "straight tail" and it does not look anything like a "jet contrail". So I question the claim from Florida (highest point is what? 85 feet above sea level) that he pulled it out on the 7th. when I am up in the Sierras (1 mile plus) and can't see it until the 10th. Sure I am 10° farther north but his description is too far off. We could see six jets in a ten minute period all 50 to 100 miles away. They each did as I described and not one looked like this comet.

PitchHitter

#5726061 - 03/11/13 03:08 PM

As far north as you are, you should see it quite well before it gets too dim. It will be an all night telescope object for you before the end of April and well above the horizon.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5726077 - 03/11/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

If I may,following contrail occurs when Jet fuel (20%) water is compressed and then exhausted in the engine wake.

For what it's worth, I think that contrails are caused primarily by physical disturbance of air that's nearly saturated with water vapor rather than from the vapor in the jet exhaust itself. You can often see them forming off wing tips and other surfaces that aren't putting out any water vapor.

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5726272 - 03/11/13 04:32 PM

Some interesting information on contrails; exhaust contrails vs. aerodynamic contrails:

http://contrailscience.com/

http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/contrail-edu/science.html

Rich

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5726304 - 03/11/13 04:45 PM

Tony,
Wonderful links. That is why I stressed that it was neither contrail nor a Comet I saw.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

#5726319 - 03/11/13 04:49 PM

" I bought the land out there east of San Diego , then SDAA bought it..." Is that adjacent to the main site at Tierra Del Sol? Or a parcel somewhere else?

Yes, TDS is not what it was before the growths of Tecate, Mexicali, and the unshielded yellow lights of the CERESO Mexican Government prison at El Hongo, as well as Tijuana and San Diego.

But it is not a "lousy" place, compared with what many readers have realistically available.

What is that about 6000 foot mountains to the west, or 8000 foot mountains to the southwest?? Look at a topographic map. There are no 8000, nor even 7000, foot features within astroviewing relevant distance.

Mt. Laguna is the only nearby feature with 6000 feet, and it is at a bearing which would only perhaps be applicable much later in the comet apparition.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5726323 - 03/11/13 04:50 PM

Everyone knows that contrails are nefarious and engineered by dark forces to disseminate mind controlling substances and diseases( I kid you not! web page ).
Seriously, though, it make sense that they are of two types: burned exhaust and supersaturated vapors condensing.
Marco

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: rydberg]
      #5726889 - 03/11/13 09:20 PM

I saw it, maybe, or at lest something
west at 260 degrees, maybe 2-3 degrees above the horizon,
1/4-1/2 degree long- oblong,
with 8x56 zeiss dialyts
may have been the comet,
maybe reflection,
maybe averted imagination
7:30-40 CDT or 00:30-40UT

maybe

will try to confirm in the next few days/weeks

edj

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5727300 - 03/12/13 01:25 AM

Another update:

I saw it again tonight.. picked it up about 7 degrees above the horizon with my 80mm F/7 WO FD. The tail seems to be growing more apparent. I noticed that it's track is definitely moving north.

After I spotted it with the scope, I saw it with my wonderful, newly acquired ($9 with a senior discount at the Goodwill store) 7x35 Sears Widefield Instantafocus Japanese Binoculars. I pulled out my old 11 x 80 too... I need to make a bracket so I can mount the darn things on my Bogen 3050 with the 3047 head.

Jon

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5727308 - 03/12/13 01:35 AM

congratulation Jon...... I am not working on saturday night so I will try it with my 25x100.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5727535 - 03/12/13 06:50 AM

Here has been cloudy and raining...
Let's hope for tonight.
Marco

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5727910 - 03/12/13 11:19 AM

Quote:

congratulation Jon...... I am not working on saturday night so I will try it with my 25x100.

Jawaid:

Thanks... if it's clear, those 25x100s should provide you with wonderful views.

My motivation in posting is to provide some data points for those looking for Pan-Starrs L4. It's low on the horizon when I see first see it, no more than 7 degree elevation. It's easy to give up but hang in there, don't give up until there is no hope.

Normally I am 100% Starhopper but for digging difficult targets out of the sunset, I am use a digital level on my scope and Sky Safari (Pro) to get my elevations. For Pan-Starrs, once spotted and centered, the level and the Sky Safari agree to 0.1 degree...

Jon

PitchHitter

Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5727988 - 03/12/13 11:59 AM

That wingtip vortex contrail is from compression effect as portions of the air reach supersonic speeds. This happens when the aircraft is subsonic but near the boundary. To disturb the air as you suggest is not possible with a plane flying 100 knots below the boundary. It is produced exactly as I said. While it is not smoke, it will stop the moment a jet engine shuts down. We are specifically discussing a following contrail. I am sure what you are thinking of is a vapor contrail that is seen for 10s of miles behind a jet and give no appearance of moving along with it. Still it is produced by the water component (about 20%) of the fuel and not because of disturbing the air.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12890

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics