Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Erix]
      #5730551 - 03/13/13 03:31 PM

I caught it again this evening with my 8x42 and 15x60 binoculars some distance below the spectacular lunar crescent.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5730610 - 03/13/13 04:11 PM

I'm still sitting under a sky filled with clouds.

ianatcn
sage

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5730650 - 03/13/13 04:25 PM

I picked it up here in the UK from my garden at 18:30 and followed it until 19:00 ut. I swept it up and got my best view through Zeiss 20x60s, as the sky darkened it was visible in 10x50 Fujinon.

The comet was a lovely sight with the crescent moon above showing earthshine. The coma was reasonable large with no central condensation. I could follow the tail about 0.25 degrees back. It had a lovely yellowish orange colour due to the high wispy cloud backlit by the sun that it was shining through.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5730683 - 03/13/13 04:49 PM

Breaking a rule I made to myself several years ago,which is to refuse to subject my body to the outdoor atmosphere in temperatures below 2 degrees Celsius, unless I'm being paid for it,through our south west facing skylight window, craning my neck around 60 degrees to the right ,from around 7pm.local time,the crescent moon looked stunning through my 20x90 and 10x42,,but I wasn't sure exactly where the comet was in relation to it.

Given the sky was unusually clear right down to the horizon,I can only assume the reason I failed to see it was due to the house roof obscuring the area immediately below the moon.

An hour later, the moon had set, and the sky still so clear that I had the instinctive impression any comet ought to have been a naked eye sight,but still couldn't find it through the binoculars.

If I wasn't feeling so tired after three days of intensive examinations,and the temperature hadn't dropped to freezing point I would have ventured out to a higher local vantage point just to satisfy my curiosity and enable myself to add my name to the growing list of successful forum sightings,but decided to report this tragically disappointing failure anyway.

Kenny

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5730712 - 03/13/13 05:02 PM

Kenny
You are not only one that has not seen. I myself unlucky so far but I will see if not today then tomorrow (my boss change my schedule for couple of days )

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5730866 - 03/13/13 06:35 PM

Kenny, last night the comet was directly to the left of the Moon, not below it. Maybe you had the binoculars the wrong way round?
I knew I was in trouble last night when after the Sun went down, I couldn't even see the Moon! I then realised that the only part of Caesar's Palace that was above the horizon from where we are, was blocking the view! (I was hoping to be the first Forum Member to see it from a Las Vegas Hotel!)
Then when the sky was almost dark the Moon appeared from behind the tower, but the windows here must be so thick and dirty, that I couldn't even see the Earthshine. Just before the Moon set, I could just about make out the comet as a tiny smudge.
I had wanted to drive out into the desert to get a better view but S.W.M.B.O. nixed that idea!

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: brentwood]
      #5731067 - 03/13/13 08:33 PM

Saw it tonight - finally. Its definitely a binocular object as it moves behind trees, I needed to run around the yard and then eventually run inside to the second floor to get the last moments as it set behind the trees.

It was brighter than I expected, easily saw it and found it first with the wide field of the 10x42 Canon IS, then with larger 20x60 binoculars got a closer view. Stabilizer binoculars were the winners for me as lugging the tripod around just wasn't convenient.

ngc 9999
sage

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jae]
      #5731100 - 03/13/13 08:49 PM

Today I finally saw the comet with my garretts 10x50. I first used the Moon as a reference point and since the comet should be midway between the moon and the horizon I panned for a while, and ten minutes later I saw a smokey object with a starlike head pointing to where the sun sets. At that time it was like 7:40 PM when I glimpsed it, and I calculated it was about 11 to 13 degrees from horizon.

When I found it I ran quickly to grab my improvised tripod and came back to take another look. When the comet was at its brightest I could estimate its ''nucleus'' to be about magnitude 1 comparing it to the star sirius, with a progressively fading coma, the total lenght of the comet was about 60% to 80% the size of the moon.

The session ended at about 8:20 when the comet was setting behind a roof and was starting to get cloudy, the clouds made the search challenging and funny.

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jae]
      #5731104 - 03/13/13 08:52 PM

Good view from Florida tonight with my Nikon 10X50's. Had to ride my bicycle to get a view of the horizon. About 2nd magnitude I'd say with a bright stubby tail. Nice!
Bill

ngc 9999
sage

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Bonco]
      #5731108 - 03/13/13 08:53 PM

It is my second comet after Garradd.

Don Taylor
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ngc 9999]
      #5731191 - 03/13/13 09:42 PM

Watched it for about 25 minutes starting at 1955 cdt - wispy clouds to the west interfered.

However. Easily detected in twilight about 15 deg west and 2 deg north of the moon. Through high clouds nucleus very bright and condensed. Nucleus seemed elongated 2x NS to SE not in line with tail. Head maybe 2x wider than bright nucleus and spread out away from nucleus but very short - maybe 1/4 degree probably due to brightness of high clouds. Tail maybe tipped 10 deg from vertical. Could not estimate brightness as no stars visible through cloud.

Looked like M13 through high cirrus.

All observations tonight with 20x60 Pentax on tripod.

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5731213 - 03/13/13 09:54 PM

Kenny,
You and me not anymore togather BINGO saw it with my 20x60 handhald.

The Nucules was quite bright and the tail was about 1/2 degree.

It will be very bright in 25x100 so I will check with my 25x100.

Thanks to MOON that I was able to find in mearly one minute.

ngc 9999
sage

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5731279 - 03/13/13 10:33 PM

Is Cartes du ciel a reliable software for locating Panstarr?

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ngc 9999]
      #5731339 - 03/13/13 11:08 PM

CdC should darn well be reliable.

It is best to update orbital elements frequently. If you don't, the risk that position will be wrong increases.

Right click on the comet icon in the Objects Bar:

1. Choose the Load MPC File tab
2. Then choose "Load MPC format file"
3. Press Download.
4. Finally, press Apply and OK.

Edited by Man in a Tub (03/13/13 11:10 PM)

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5731435 - 03/14/13 12:14 AM

Friday Mar 13, 2013 Sunset to 8:45PM K. Anderson Observing w/ Binos looking unsucessfully for Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4. Perfectly clear with absolutely noclouds again.

Spent most of the time panning western sky for Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 with handheld Blueplanet Optics 2.3x40 28 deg TFOV galilean opera glass binos, Orion Expanse 7x32 14 deg TFOV & Vixen Ascot 10x50 8.5 deg TFOV binos; or garett
pistol grip monopod orion mini giant 9x63mm 5 deg tfov and 15x63mm 3.7 deg tfov binos (standing) without sucess in finding the very low comet. Closest thing I saw looking like a comet was a dark contrail with a bright nucleus/airplane. The thin crescent moon helped guide my overlapping views.

Naked eye:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*Search for but couldn't find Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 (either with sun up and paper blocking out sun in upper right corner, or sun below horizon observing from sunset till 8:45PM fully dark).
*Hyades/M45/Jupiter

Blue Planet Optics 2.3x40 28 deg TFOV:
*Complete Orion Hourglass/Col 70/Sword/M42
*Perseus A Cluster
*Hyades/Jupiter/M45 in same view (Best view of evening)
*Complete Auriga Pentagon/Mel 31
*Thin Crescent Moon
*Search for but couldn't find Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4
*first noticed Bright nucleus(plane) w/ dark contrail potentially loking like comet from upstairs window

Orion Expanse 7x32 14 deg TFOV:
*Thin Crescent Moon

Vixen Ascot 10x50 8.5 deg TFOV:
*Thin Crescent Moon

orion mini-giant 9x63 5 deg TFOV mounted on Garrett monopod:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*confirmed Bright nucleus was plane w/ dark contrail and definitely not the comet from outside

orion mini-giant 15x63 3.7 deg TFOV mounted on Garrett pistol grip monopod:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*confirmed Bright nucleus was plane w/ dark contrail and definitely not the comet from outside (wanted to see it at higher power)
*watched a herron in flight

Since I was dressed for work with just one jacket and no facemask it was very cold and windy, that I did have to break observe inside from upstairs to both briefly warm up and attempt to see lower closer to the horizon (than trees would allow from driveway and rest of front yard, and up the street.

Ken

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5731438 - 03/14/13 12:17 AM

We went out for comet hunting this evening. We had very warm weather today, high was 86 degree. Thanks to warm temperature, marine layers didn't come early evening.

We spotted it with 7x36 Zenray and then 10x42 Canon. I took a few shots of Panstarr with 400mm f/5.6 telephoto lens.

Nice after sunset:

The Moon:

Marine layers were coming our way but not yet

Now Panstarr:

Tammy

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5731475 - 03/14/13 12:43 AM

Nice photos of Panstarrs!

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: faackanders2]
      #5731580 - 03/14/13 02:57 AM

Great reports and photos!

However,there would appear to be a little conflicted detail regarding the position of the comet.

Brentwood mentioned it being directly to the LEFT of the moon,while Don mentioned seeing it 2 degrees north(RIGHT).

Which was correct?

Kenny

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: KennyJ]
      #5731635 - 03/14/13 05:05 AM

Most frustrating last few days here. Clear all day (and I maen ALL day) for the last 3 days then just at sundown the sky has clouded over in the west and south west. Then all three days, after darkness has fallen completely the sky clears! Unbelievable.

Maybe tonight. It's a very clear morning here today.

ianatcn
sage

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: brentwood]
      #5731651 - 03/14/13 05:40 AM

From the UK the comet was almost directly below the moon and to the right. I was surprised that there was only a window of half an hour between the sky being dark enough to pick it up and the comet setting behind trees on the horizon. Knowing exactly where it is in relation to the moon really helps in picking it up early. We have three cloudy days to look forward to here in the south so it will have moved quite a bit by the time I next get to see it. Keep looking Kenny!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Greyhaven, Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12889

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics