Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
ianatcn

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5731654 - 03/14/13 05:55 AM Attachment (92 downloads)

Kenny, I took this photo at the same time of the moon and comet. I don't know if you will see much of the comet as I had to reduce the image considerably to get it to load in Cloudy Nights. It is the small bright object just to the right of the dark cloud mass close to the horizon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Don Taylor
sage

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
      #5731668 - 03/14/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

Great reports and photos!

However,there would appear to be a little conflicted detail regarding the position of the comet.

Brentwood mentioned it being directly to the LEFT of the moon,while Don mentioned seeing it 2 degrees north(RIGHT).

Which was correct?

Kenny

Both: Was directly to the left of the moon the evening of 3/12 and ~ 15 deg west (below) and ~2 dEg north (right) the evening of 3/13, mostly due to the lunar orbital motion.

The comet's position at same local time only changed by about 2 or 3 degrees between 3/12 and 3/13.

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5731695 - 03/14/13 07:07 AM

Very useful photo Ian, thank you.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5732019 - 03/14/13 10:58 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

...The comet was a lovely sight with the crescent moon above showing earthshine. The coma was reasonable large with no central condensation. I could follow the tail about 0.25 degrees back...

ianatcn,

Nice report. I have yet to observe the comet myself but from what I gather reading recent comet observation reports, the coma is strongly condensed (degree of condensation or DC=7/ in some reports). When the coma is strongly condensed it can reach out and make the edge of the coma almost invisible and appear like there is no central condensation.

I saw something like this when I observed C/2006 P1 (McNaught). I'd never seen such a bright coma. I thought the coma was not condensed because I couldn't see any central condensation--actually the coma was almost completely condensed. The DC probably equaled 8/. Here's my sketch:

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5732028 - 03/14/13 11:03 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Here is a DC chart. The BAA also has a good DC chart here.

Edited by Special Ed (03/14/13 11:23 AM)

ianatcn

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5732181 - 03/14/13 12:36 PM

Special Ed,

Thanks for the observation. I believe you are right and the coma was just very bright. I will try the 40x80 on it next opportunity I get to see if that teases out any detail. there are gaps in the clouds here at the moment with a front coming in later. I may get a chance tonight.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
      #5732273 - 03/14/13 01:33 PM

Thanks for posting that photo,Ian.

I can see the comet clearly in the photo.

The comet location confirms my original suspicion that it was so much closer to the horizon than the moon ( considerably more so than I'd imagined ) that the house roof I mentioned WNW of our house would definitely have obscured it from my view.

I did see a distinctive lone star that by my estimations ought to have appeared to the right of and below the moon in your photo,somewhere near where that uppermost dark cloud is.

Kenny

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
      #5732498 - 03/14/13 04:14 PM

13 Mar In Florida at sunset it was below the moon about 1/2 way to the horizon.
Bill

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
      #5732526 - 03/14/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting that photo,Ian.

I can see the comet clearly in the photo.

The comet location confirms my original suspicion that it was so much closer to the horizon than the moon ( considerably more so than I'd imagined ) that the house roof I mentioned WNW of our house would definitely have obscured it from my view.

I did see a distinctive lone star that by my estimations ought to have appeared to the right of and below the moon in your photo,somewhere near where that uppermost dark cloud is.

Kenny

I too have been expecting the comet to be next to the moon although the cloud has never allowed a chance of spotting it.

Rich_W

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Simon S]
      #5732954 - 03/14/13 08:38 PM

That's very helpful. I too had been expecting it to be next or near to the moon. Failed to find it tonight with my 15 x 50's and now I know why. Although it wouldn't have mattered as so close to the horizon it wouldn't have been visible from this urban location due to the western light glow. I'll have to try to get out of town if I get another clear night.

It was a nice night with the moon anyhow!

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Rich_W]
      #5732960 - 03/14/13 08:42 PM

14 March at sunset, Florida. PS was brighter than last night due to better transparent air. About 15 deg above the horizon, barely visible with naked eye. Nice in the 10X50's. Coma looks elongated on east/west axis. I still estimate about 2nd magnitude. Bill

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Bonco]
      #5733011 - 03/14/13 09:13 PM

just got in from seeing it at the local resevoir with the club president,, we were looking to close to the moon.. it was further down and to the north

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: skinnyonce]
      #5733026 - 03/14/13 09:25 PM

Kenny,
If you see the lone star; go to right 10 degree estimated and about 10 degree down and you will not miss it unless you have a bad light pollution to your western sky.

It is bright enough even in the 7x35 will show you if you are at a very dark site like yellow zone. I have looked already now with 7x35, 12x60 and 25x100.

I wish that I could check with my 12" dob but it is damn heavy to lug into my tiny car.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5733035 - 03/14/13 09:30 PM

seen with 25x150s tonight

not that much different from 8x56s 2 nights ago, except tail about 1/2 degree long in a fan shape

note-got a glimpse of comet naked eye (after viewing with binoculars and knowing where to look) but not enough to positive ID alone.

edj

gwd

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: DC
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5733185 - 03/14/13 10:48 PM

We saw it from in front of the Capitol building looking out above the dome of the natural history museum. couldn't see it naked eye but had the 20x60s. At first it looked pale yellowish when it was up to the south of the museum dome as it sank to the horizon it got more red and moved to the north of the dome. I mention these landmarks in case you want to see the azimuthal directions on google earth. We were right in the middle of the Capitol west side between the two sets of steps.

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5733585 - 03/15/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

seen with 25x150s tonight

not that much different from 8x56s 2 nights ago

edj

I have to agree with Ed. The weather cleared here and I've seen it the last three nights. The view of the comet in 10X50, 16X70, 20X80, 14X100, and in an 11 inch scope at low power are not that much different. I was hoping that larger aperture would show a lot more tail, and I see a little more tail with increasing aperture, but not a lot. Perhaps the position of the comet in the twilight sky doesn't create enough contrast between the dimmer part of the tail and the sky to allow seeing more tail with increasing aperture. Two nights ago I looked at it with three other observers and we all liked how it looked through binoculars better than the view in the 11 inch scope.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: kcolter]
      #5733595 - 03/15/13 08:08 AM

Weather conditions in my area are not helping...
I tried last night but the heavy haze killed any chance of seeing it.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5733966 - 03/15/13 11:45 AM

Still no joy here. We're in a "Pineapple Express" weather pattern that's bringing upper-level moisture from the eastern Pacific over the high desert and Colorado Plateau. It was wonderfully clear last night everywhere in the sky except for the west. It's been like that for the last three nights. Ugh.

gwd

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: DC
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5733979 - 03/15/13 11:55 AM

Frederick MD isn't that far from DC and it was easy to spot with binoculars from downtown the early evening of March 14th. This morning one of those freebee newspapers had a photo of PANSTARRS from New Mexico. My wife who is basically a non-stargazer remarked "It didn't look like that. It looked better, we could see more." What she meant is the 30 second exposure didn't show the contrast between the central condensation and the tail, nor the variations in brightness in the tail. So often we think that the photos show more than we see with our eyes but if you really look the view though our binos actually show a wider range of intensities than you get in a photo.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
Re: Looking for PANSTARR [Re: gwd]
      #5734050 - 03/15/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Frederick MD isn't that far from DC and it was easy to spot with binoculars from downtown the early evening of March 14th. This morning one of those freebee newspapers had a photo of PANSTARRS from New Mexico. My wife who is basically a non-stargazer remarked "It didn't look like that. It looked better, we could see more." What she meant is the 30 second exposure didn't show the contrast between the central condensation and the tail, nor the variations in brightness in the tail. So often we think that the photos show more than we see with our eyes but if you really look the view though our binos actually show a wider range of intensities than you get in a photo.

The sky near zenith was nice, but a heavy haze covered the 1/3 of the sky nearest the horizon in Frederick.
I will try again if the weather cooperates.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12721

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics