Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
Looking for PANSTARR
      #5723051 - 03/09/13 09:54 PM

At around 7:00pm due west around 15 to 20 degree; I saw something "NEW" ??????

Since no cold weather, Clear sky, dark sky, clean horizon and no moon in Yardley,PA and just 5 minutes drive from my house; I decided to try the comet.

I setup my P-mount on the tripod and 12x60mm (recently sold by Meade for $19) binocular and swing to west at about 15degree and as soon I looked through my binocular; BINGO... I saw something like comet !!!!

After watching about or over 20 seconds; I realized that It does not look like COMET instead it has a fat tail but very dark in colour like smoke and the body was reddish type. It was going down like setting in the west but very very slow (not like any sat or plane)

I just do not know; what was it or it was a Comet ???

ANYONE WHO WATCHED TODAY DUE WEST FOR COMET HAS SEEN IT?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5723060 - 03/09/13 10:04 PM

That doesn't sound right. That sounds more like a contrail from an airplane, still high enough above the Earth to catch a bit of the setting sun.

By 7pm in your area, C/2011 L4 should have already set.

J A VOLK

Reged: 05/24/06

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5723089 - 03/09/13 10:25 PM

A friend and I went to a lookout in the foothills North of Los Angeles, eleveation about 1300 ft. - we had a good horizon, clear with the usual horizon haze. We are experienced observers and had 11x80 and 10x50 binos - we could not see Panstarrs.

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5723090 - 03/09/13 10:25 PM

No, that was no air plane for SURE but what was it, I just do not know.
Just for the information is that the CONTRAIL can be seen as white or grey in orange and white zone as I have seen several times and not in black colour.

RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
      #5723119 - 03/09/13 10:50 PM

I don't know where you watch your contrails from, but I've seen them every color from bright white to almost black (including all shades of brown, orange and red), depending on the S-O-T angle...

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#5723139 - 03/09/13 11:05 PM

Jawaid, your description simply corresponds to a distant jet con trail. Reflecting the light of either the already set (for ground observers) Sun, or the twilight glow itself, con trails can take on a wide variety of colors, just as RedlionNJ indicates.

Unfortumately, there have been a rash of mistaken comet sighting posted over the past few evenings, all corresponding to folks seeing distant con trails. So far PanSTARRS itself has remained lost in the twilight for mid northern latitude observers.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (03/09/13 11:08 PM)

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5723195 - 03/09/13 11:42 PM

Absolutely, a dark jet contrail. I was seeing the same thing close to the horizon while looking for Panstarrs this evening. I also didn't see it with my binoculars.

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5723224 - 03/10/13 12:08 AM

As I already have mentioned in my very first post that I have not seen the comet. Instead, it was something else.

The SMOKE that I mentioned it was "going with it" and only about 2 degree long so I know it was no contrail.

That smoke like a part of a thing..

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #5723225 - 03/10/13 12:08 AM

As I already have mentioned in my very first post that I have not seen the comet. Instead, it was something else.

The SMOKE that I mentioned it was "going with it" and only about 2 degree long so I know it was no contrail.

That smoke like a part of a thing..

jonathanCR
sage

Reged: 07/02/07

Loc: Costa Rica
      #5723320 - 03/10/13 01:43 AM

Panstarr visible from Costa Rica with 12x binos. Very faint with 7x35 binos and looks amazing with telescopes. I saw it from 5:35pm to almost 7pm central time.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: jonathanCR]
      #5723412 - 03/10/13 06:14 AM

I have to agree with some of the other posters, that what you saw was definitely a jet contrail. That's what they look like in early twilight.

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5723461 - 03/10/13 07:23 AM

Patience panstarrs is coming, it will be unmistakable if anything like what I saw

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5723495 - 03/10/13 08:28 AM

Quote:

Patience panstarrs is coming, it will be unmistakable if anything like what I saw

what is this patience
thing you are talking
about

guangtou
sage

Reged: 03/27/10

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5723536 - 03/10/13 09:09 AM

These SH folks are starting to get on my nerves with their Comets Lovejoy and Lemmon and Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. They may have even gotten the better part of Panstarrs. Hey, we got the North Star!

mercedes_sl1970
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/02/05

Loc: Canberra, Oz
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: guangtou]
      #5723572 - 03/10/13 09:47 AM

Quote:

These SH folks are starting to get on my nerves with their Comets Lovejoy and Lemmon and Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. They may have even gotten the better part of Panstarrs. Hey, we got the North Star!

Panstarrs was terrific through 18x70s the other evening (yes, that was a gloating tone!).

Andrew

ps wouldn't mind your North Star for quicker polar alignment...

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: mercedes_sl1970]
      #5723694 - 03/10/13 11:20 AM

Just a note for PanSTARRS observer wannabes--until it gets a little higher in a darker sky, you will want to use big binoculars. Observers in California who have reported seeing it with telescopes say that it was not visible with 7x or 10x binoculars. See the PanSTARRS thread in the Solar System Observing forum for more details.

I have looked the past two evenings with my 12x36 IS II's with no success. I probably should have been using the 15x70's.

BTW, be prepared to see many, many contrails on the western horizon.

GamesForOne
sage

Reged: 09/29/09

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5723935 - 03/10/13 01:39 PM

Contrails can have all sorts of crazy optical effects. I've seen them look like dense black smoke and I once even observed and photographed one that projected a shadow on the cloud deck which the plane looked to be flying through!

---
Michael Mc

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: GamesForOne]
      #5724365 - 03/10/13 05:35 PM

Three Cheers for the first Northern Obserber to "See" comet Panstarr. Letthe contest begin

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5724382 - 03/10/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Contrails can have all sorts of crazy optical effects. I've seen them look like dense black smoke and I once even observed and photographed one that projected a shadow on the cloud deck which the plane looked to be flying through!

---
Michael Mc

Mike,
The photograph is indeed a contrail and in the photograph the contrail is a long streak while I observed a nearly 2 degree tail which was travelling with the thing and the thing was moving super super super slow . Please note I use the movement is super slow like a star but only 25 percent faster.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5724449 - 03/10/13 06:27 PM

Quote:

Observers in California who have reported seeing it with telescopes say that it was not visible with 7x or 10x binoculars.

My buddy Kau and I spotted it last night (Saturday) from out private site in the mountains about 70 miles east of San Diego along the US-Mexico border. I spotted it with my ST-80 fitted with a 2 inch focuser and a 31mm Nagler when it was about 3 degrees above the horizon. Once we knew where it was, Kau was able to see it in his 10 x 50 Action Extremes.

Jon

PitchHitter

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Southern Sierras
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5724575 - 03/10/13 07:32 PM

If you don't photograph it you can't prove it....;)

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: PitchHitter]
      #5724855 - 03/10/13 10:36 PM

I saw it tonight, on a very clear evening here at 7400' elevation, 36 deg N latitude. 30 min. after sunset, it was 3 degrees above the horizon against a blue background.

Though my 10x50, the fanned out tail looked around 1/2 degree long, and appeared streaky or divided. The head was a uniformly bright white ball of light. I was too taken aback to estimate a magnitude, but it must pretty bright, since I didn't notice any stars nearby.

My wife had her 8.5x42, and we oohed and ahhed. See it if you can. It's a real beauty!

Ron

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ronharper]
      #5724897 - 03/10/13 10:58 PM

I caught it tonight in my Fuji 10x50s from 40 N. There was a cloud bank over the mountains to the west that extended maybe 4 up. We first saw it when it was 6.5 up so we had about 10 minutes to look at it. As Ron said, tail was about 0.5 long. I didn't have any reference for estimating magnitude, but it was fairly obvious once seen.

It is going to be fun watching this one's apparent brightening as it moves away from the Sun.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: btschumy]
      #5725074 - 03/11/13 01:20 AM

Its a very tough lower power binocular object. Below 15x its going to be very difficult to detect and appreciate. 20x and above seems much more practical. Ive seen it for 3 nights now. The first with my 6" F/5 refractor at 28x using a 26 Nagler and tonight using my 180mm F/6 refractor. Tonight I spotted it with my 31 Nagler at 35x, then walked up the magnification to 154x using my 7 nagler. Its a tough object to find because its very low in the sky. Tonight I caught it at about 5 degees above the horizon at 7:38pm, and had about 20 minutes of viewing time before it dipped below some very low dark clouds. Best views were with my 22 Nagler at 50x at about 1.6 deg actual field of view.
PannStarr really needs some magnification to really appreciate its beauty. Its a magnificent object to observe, its just very difficult to pick out of the low sky. It has a beautiful bright coma and a wide tail that seems to fan out very nicely. I'm estimating tonight it was it was about 30 to 40 arc minutes long in the twilight light I was observing it in. At higher magnifications you can just tell this object is screaming through our solar system and ballistic speeds in how it appears at magnifications approaching 100x.
I have 25x100 binoculars but PannStarr really needs more magnification to really see it and appreciate the beauty of how magnificent is really is.

...Ralph
38 deg latitude,
Sacramento.

PitchHitter

#5725092 - 03/11/13 01:34 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

I was looking for it last night and didn't see it. I bought the land out there east of San Diego then turned it back and SDAA bought it. It is a lousy place to view from and there are 6,000 ft, mountains between you and the horizon... Actually about a 8,000 ft. looking south of West.

Tonight a few of us met above Walkers Pass about a mile high and spotted it with my 20x100s. It could not be seen naked eye and the guy with the 7x35s had no luck. It looks like a neon "V" or check mark actually. The head was very bright and the tail was interesting but dim. In the 20x100s it was plain that this was one tail with a wispy center though some what shaped like Hale Bopp which had two distinct tails, one left a particle trail the other was an blue ion tail. See my photos on file with NASA or Cal Tech. -Rick Crockett

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5725192 - 03/11/13 03:42 AM

It is hard for me because I have only one night a week to observe and rest of the week I work overnight. hope, I will see it on my night off if not cloudy.

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogot - La Calera / Colombia
      #5725736 - 03/11/13 12:23 PM

Clouds are not letting me see it, and I'm only 4 deg North...

PitchHitter

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5725949 - 03/11/13 02:13 PM

If I may,following contrail occurs when Jet fuel (20%) water is compressed and then exhausted in the engine wake. It decompresses causing ice crystals a little ways behind the air craft and depending on weather conditions lasts for a few seconds before dispersing. While in that short crystalline state just after sunset (for the aircraft) the trail diffracts the back-light of sunset. Because it is not smoke, it forms behind the aircraft and then dissipates making it look like a moving dark comet trail. If the plane is still in the sunlight then it looks bright white. Comet PanStarrs does not look like a contrail as described by a guy trying hard to claim to be the first from the United States in over 20 publications. He should be so embarrassed because the comet does not have a "straight tail" and it does not look anything like a "jet contrail". So I question the claim from Florida (highest point is what? 85 feet above sea level) that he pulled it out on the 7th. when I am up in the Sierras (1 mile plus) and can't see it until the 10th. Sure I am 10 farther north but his description is too far off. We could see six jets in a ten minute period all 50 to 100 miles away. They each did as I described and not one looked like this comet.

PitchHitter

#5726061 - 03/11/13 03:08 PM

As far north as you are, you should see it quite well before it gets too dim. It will be an all night telescope object for you before the end of April and well above the horizon.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5726077 - 03/11/13 03:20 PM

Quote:

If I may,following contrail occurs when Jet fuel (20%) water is compressed and then exhausted in the engine wake.

For what it's worth, I think that contrails are caused primarily by physical disturbance of air that's nearly saturated with water vapor rather than from the vapor in the jet exhaust itself. You can often see them forming off wing tips and other surfaces that aren't putting out any water vapor.

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5726272 - 03/11/13 04:32 PM

Some interesting information on contrails; exhaust contrails vs. aerodynamic contrails:

http://contrailscience.com/

http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/contrail-edu/science.html

Rich

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5726304 - 03/11/13 04:45 PM

Tony,
Wonderful links. That is why I stressed that it was neither contrail nor a Comet I saw.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

#5726319 - 03/11/13 04:49 PM

" I bought the land out there east of San Diego , then SDAA bought it..." Is that adjacent to the main site at Tierra Del Sol? Or a parcel somewhere else?

Yes, TDS is not what it was before the growths of Tecate, Mexicali, and the unshielded yellow lights of the CERESO Mexican Government prison at El Hongo, as well as Tijuana and San Diego.

But it is not a "lousy" place, compared with what many readers have realistically available.

What is that about 6000 foot mountains to the west, or 8000 foot mountains to the southwest?? Look at a topographic map. There are no 8000, nor even 7000, foot features within astroviewing relevant distance.

Mt. Laguna is the only nearby feature with 6000 feet, and it is at a bearing which would only perhaps be applicable much later in the comet apparition.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5726323 - 03/11/13 04:50 PM

Everyone knows that contrails are nefarious and engineered by dark forces to disseminate mind controlling substances and diseases( I kid you not! web page ).
Seriously, though, it make sense that they are of two types: burned exhaust and supersaturated vapors condensing.
Marco

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: rydberg]
      #5726889 - 03/11/13 09:20 PM

I saw it, maybe, or at lest something
west at 260 degrees, maybe 2-3 degrees above the horizon,
1/4-1/2 degree long- oblong,
with 8x56 zeiss dialyts
may have been the comet,
maybe reflection,
maybe averted imagination
7:30-40 CDT or 00:30-40UT

maybe

will try to confirm in the next few days/weeks

edj

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5727300 - 03/12/13 01:25 AM

Another update:

I saw it again tonight.. picked it up about 7 degrees above the horizon with my 80mm F/7 WO FD. The tail seems to be growing more apparent. I noticed that it's track is definitely moving north.

After I spotted it with the scope, I saw it with my wonderful, newly acquired ($9 with a senior discount at the Goodwill store) 7x35 Sears Widefield Instantafocus Japanese Binoculars. I pulled out my old 11 x 80 too... I need to make a bracket so I can mount the darn things on my Bogen 3050 with the 3047 head.

Jon

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5727308 - 03/12/13 01:35 AM

congratulation Jon...... I am not working on saturday night so I will try it with my 25x100.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5727535 - 03/12/13 06:50 AM

Here has been cloudy and raining...
Let's hope for tonight.
Marco

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5727910 - 03/12/13 11:19 AM

Quote:

congratulation Jon...... I am not working on saturday night so I will try it with my 25x100.

Jawaid:

Thanks... if it's clear, those 25x100s should provide you with wonderful views.

My motivation in posting is to provide some data points for those looking for Pan-Starrs L4. It's low on the horizon when I see first see it, no more than 7 degree elevation. It's easy to give up but hang in there, don't give up until there is no hope.

Normally I am 100% Starhopper but for digging difficult targets out of the sunset, I am use a digital level on my scope and Sky Safari (Pro) to get my elevations. For Pan-Starrs, once spotted and centered, the level and the Sky Safari agree to 0.1 degree...

Jon

PitchHitter

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5727988 - 03/12/13 11:59 AM

That wingtip vortex contrail is from compression effect as portions of the air reach supersonic speeds. This happens when the aircraft is subsonic but near the boundary. To disturb the air as you suggest is not possible with a plane flying 100 knots below the boundary. It is produced exactly as I said. While it is not smoke, it will stop the moment a jet engine shuts down. We are specifically discussing a following contrail. I am sure what you are thinking of is a vapor contrail that is seen for 10s of miles behind a jet and give no appearance of moving along with it. Still it is produced by the water component (about 20%) of the fuel and not because of disturbing the air.

PitchHitter

#5728004 - 03/12/13 12:09 PM

Was disappointed last night. Om the 10th Panstarrs was quite bright and looked like a neon √ but even though last night was even clearer Panstarrs looked more like a horseshoe crab and a bit duller too! Still has a very bright coma but too small to be seen well unaided. Possibly some of the problem is it has moved into some of the strongest Zodiacal light I have seen.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PanSTARRS new [Re: PitchHitter]
      #5728338 - 03/12/13 02:56 PM

Saw the comet tonight together with my son. The 24 hour old Moon was a very convenient guidepost and was itself a quite nice sight, a very thin line, not yet a half circle. Picked up the comet in my 8x42 binoculars about 45 minutes after sunset. It looked like a very bright point with a coma and a tail extending to the upper left. The 15x60 gave a better view but didn't really show any more detail. My son used his 7x35 and saw it well. I didn't expect the comet to be so tiny.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Looking for PanSTARRS new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5728645 - 03/12/13 05:28 PM

Kudos to you,Mark!

I'd no idea it would be even visible yet from so far north!

Kenny

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PanSTARRS new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5728683 - 03/12/13 05:43 PM

Try to spot it tomorrow evening, Kenny. It will be halfway between the Moon and the horizon. Here's a link to an image taken today from Northern Ireland. It may take a second or two to spot the comet.
http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=77693

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5728709 - 03/12/13 06:01 PM

Thanks for that,Mark.

Last night was VERY clear just after sunset.

Inspired by your sighting,I rushed out to check the western horizon tonight an hour after sunset, and of course,typically, it was too cloudy to even see any sign of the setting moon!

Kenny

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PanSTARRS new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5728725 - 03/12/13 06:13 PM

Too bad, Kenny. Don't give up yet, the comet will be there for a while. It will be better placed later this month, but fainter.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #5728938 - 03/12/13 08:35 PM

Finally got it tonight through a lot of haze, 10x42's.

KeithC

Reged: 08/23/06

Loc: Atlanta GA
Re: Looking for PanSTARRS new [Re: Paul G]
      #5728966 - 03/12/13 08:52 PM

Finally got a view of it in 1/2 of a 10x50. I live on the eastern side of Metro Atlanta so the comet is setting into a white zone and it was very faint. Impossible to see without optics.

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5729014 - 03/12/13 09:13 PM

Quote:

I saw it, maybe, or at lest something
west at 260 degrees, maybe 2-3 degrees above the horizon,
1/4-1/2 degree long- oblong,
with 8x56 zeiss dialyts
may have been the comet,
maybe reflection,
maybe averted imagination
7:30-40 CDT or 00:30-40UT

maybe

will try to confirm in the next few days/weeks

edj

Got it tonight in 8x56s
Bright core, fan tail approximately 1/8 degree long
about 4 degrees left of beautiful thin moon
seeing poor close to horizon
looking forward to better seeing

in retrospect, above post doubtful

edj

aa5te
Genial Procrastinator

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: Clinton, TN
      #5729042 - 03/12/13 09:21 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

I located it in 10x50s just a few minutes before it dipped below the hills. The nucleus was bright and "twinkly" in the 10x50s and 25x100s. I took a 64 second exposure of it at ISO200:

aa5te
Genial Procrastinator

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: Clinton, TN
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: aa5te]
      #5729045 - 03/12/13 09:22 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Color adjusted to sort of show the tail better:

Don Taylor
sage

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: South TEXAS
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: aa5te]
      #5729078 - 03/12/13 09:38 PM

Got it tonight with my 25 year old Steiner 7x50's. Had some bands of high clouds that would cause it to wink in and out. Obvious nucleus and maybe 1/2 to 1 degree tail tipped about 20 deg to the south. The western horizon here is over downtown abt 7 miles away and the worst direction for light pollution.

Still, a very pleasing view!

I'll try tomorrow evening with the Pentax 20x60s.

Edited by Don Taylor (03/12/13 09:40 PM)

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Don Taylor]
      #5729090 - 03/12/13 09:47 PM

Found it right away tonight with my 16x80 and my 25x100. It was super clear so by the time it set the tail was quite extended. Quite a grand sight, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow...

gwd

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: DC
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: SMark]
      #5729365 - 03/12/13 11:36 PM

Tonight 2013-03-12. It was easy to see in 10x50 binocs from DC near the zoo. Very comet like. 20x would have been better but the 10x50s showed the tail. Reminded me of watching rocket launches from cape Canaveral. It looked like the point after one stage falls away and the next stage just kicks in, when the rocket is too far away to see but the blast isn't. Except this comet wasn't moving as a rocket does.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: gwd]
      #5729433 - 03/13/13 12:20 AM

http://cs.astronomy.com/asy/astro_imaging/f/38/t/56615.aspx

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5729737 - 03/13/13 06:23 AM

Quote:

Got it tonight with my 25 year old Steiner 7x50's.
.....................................................................................
Still, a very pleasing view

yes it is-very pleasing

edj

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
      #5729748 - 03/13/13 06:39 AM

lovely and clear here today in the land of clouds - hoping it holds into the evening.,..

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: RichD]
      #5729884 - 03/13/13 09:00 AM

Quote:

lovely and clear here today in the land of clouds - hoping it holds into the evening.,..

It's moving north and looking better and better each night.

Jon

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
      #5729903 - 03/13/13 09:11 AM

Saw panstarr last night very faint, had to have binos if you wanted to see it, not really a naked eye object. I viewed it throught my 10x50 bino and 20x80 bino which give nice views. Also viewed it through a 8 inch Meade sct which give a very nice view. Will try again to night with my Eon 120 ed refractor.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: George Methvin]
      #5730529 - 03/13/13 03:12 PM

I finally had success last night, thanks to the Moon as a reference point. After observing the comet with my 15x70s, I was able to see it sans the tail with unaided eye.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Erix]
      #5730551 - 03/13/13 03:31 PM

I caught it again this evening with my 8x42 and 15x60 binoculars some distance below the spectacular lunar crescent.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Reged: 11/26/03

Loc: Frederick, MD
      #5730610 - 03/13/13 04:11 PM

I'm still sitting under a sky filled with clouds.

ianatcn

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Scott Beith]
      #5730650 - 03/13/13 04:25 PM

I picked it up here in the UK from my garden at 18:30 and followed it until 19:00 ut. I swept it up and got my best view through Zeiss 20x60s, as the sky darkened it was visible in 10x50 Fujinon.

The comet was a lovely sight with the crescent moon above showing earthshine. The coma was reasonable large with no central condensation. I could follow the tail about 0.25 degrees back. It had a lovely yellowish orange colour due to the high wispy cloud backlit by the sun that it was shining through.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ianatcn]
      #5730683 - 03/13/13 04:49 PM

Breaking a rule I made to myself several years ago,which is to refuse to subject my body to the outdoor atmosphere in temperatures below 2 degrees Celsius, unless I'm being paid for it,through our south west facing skylight window, craning my neck around 60 degrees to the right ,from around 7pm.local time,the crescent moon looked stunning through my 20x90 and 10x42,,but I wasn't sure exactly where the comet was in relation to it.

Given the sky was unusually clear right down to the horizon,I can only assume the reason I failed to see it was due to the house roof obscuring the area immediately below the moon.

An hour later, the moon had set, and the sky still so clear that I had the instinctive impression any comet ought to have been a naked eye sight,but still couldn't find it through the binoculars.

If I wasn't feeling so tired after three days of intensive examinations,and the temperature hadn't dropped to freezing point I would have ventured out to a higher local vantage point just to satisfy my curiosity and enable myself to add my name to the growing list of successful forum sightings,but decided to report this tragically disappointing failure anyway.

Kenny

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5730712 - 03/13/13 05:02 PM

Kenny
You are not only one that has not seen. I myself unlucky so far but I will see if not today then tomorrow (my boss change my schedule for couple of days )

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
      #5730866 - 03/13/13 06:35 PM

Kenny, last night the comet was directly to the left of the Moon, not below it. Maybe you had the binoculars the wrong way round?
I knew I was in trouble last night when after the Sun went down, I couldn't even see the Moon! I then realised that the only part of Caesar's Palace that was above the horizon from where we are, was blocking the view! (I was hoping to be the first Forum Member to see it from a Las Vegas Hotel!)
Then when the sky was almost dark the Moon appeared from behind the tower, but the windows here must be so thick and dirty, that I couldn't even see the Earthshine. Just before the Moon set, I could just about make out the comet as a tiny smudge.
I had wanted to drive out into the desert to get a better view but S.W.M.B.O. nixed that idea!

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/13/06

Loc: New England
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: brentwood]
      #5731067 - 03/13/13 08:33 PM

Saw it tonight - finally. Its definitely a binocular object as it moves behind trees, I needed to run around the yard and then eventually run inside to the second floor to get the last moments as it set behind the trees.

It was brighter than I expected, easily saw it and found it first with the wide field of the 10x42 Canon IS, then with larger 20x60 binoculars got a closer view. Stabilizer binoculars were the winners for me as lugging the tripod around just wasn't convenient.

ngc 9999

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Jae]
      #5731100 - 03/13/13 08:49 PM

Today I finally saw the comet with my garretts 10x50. I first used the Moon as a reference point and since the comet should be midway between the moon and the horizon I panned for a while, and ten minutes later I saw a smokey object with a starlike head pointing to where the sun sets. At that time it was like 7:40 PM when I glimpsed it, and I calculated it was about 11 to 13 degrees from horizon.

When I found it I ran quickly to grab my improvised tripod and came back to take another look. When the comet was at its brightest I could estimate its ''nucleus'' to be about magnitude 1 comparing it to the star sirius, with a progressively fading coma, the total lenght of the comet was about 60% to 80% the size of the moon.

The session ended at about 8:20 when the comet was setting behind a roof and was starting to get cloudy, the clouds made the search challenging and funny.

Bonco
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/17/06

Loc: Florida
      #5731104 - 03/13/13 08:52 PM

Good view from Florida tonight with my Nikon 10X50's. Had to ride my bicycle to get a view of the horizon. About 2nd magnitude I'd say with a bright stubby tail. Nice!
Bill

ngc 9999

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Bonco]
      #5731108 - 03/13/13 08:53 PM

It is my second comet after Garradd.

Don Taylor
sage

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ngc 9999]
      #5731191 - 03/13/13 09:42 PM

Watched it for about 25 minutes starting at 1955 cdt - wispy clouds to the west interfered.

However. Easily detected in twilight about 15 deg west and 2 deg north of the moon. Through high clouds nucleus very bright and condensed. Nucleus seemed elongated 2x NS to SE not in line with tail. Head maybe 2x wider than bright nucleus and spread out away from nucleus but very short - maybe 1/4 degree probably due to brightness of high clouds. Tail maybe tipped 10 deg from vertical. Could not estimate brightness as no stars visible through cloud.

Looked like M13 through high cirrus.

All observations tonight with 20x60 Pentax on tripod.

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

#5731213 - 03/13/13 09:54 PM

Kenny,
You and me not anymore togather BINGO saw it with my 20x60 handhald.

The Nucules was quite bright and the tail was about 1/2 degree.

It will be very bright in 25x100 so I will check with my 25x100.

Thanks to MOON that I was able to find in mearly one minute.

ngc 9999

#5731279 - 03/13/13 10:33 PM

Is Cartes du ciel a reliable software for locating Panstarr?

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ngc 9999]
      #5731339 - 03/13/13 11:08 PM

CdC should darn well be reliable.

It is best to update orbital elements frequently. If you don't, the risk that position will be wrong increases.

Right click on the comet icon in the Objects Bar:

1. Choose the Load MPC File tab
2. Then choose "Load MPC format file"
3. Press Download.
4. Finally, press Apply and OK.

Edited by Man in a Tub (03/13/13 11:10 PM)

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5731435 - 03/14/13 12:14 AM

Friday Mar 13, 2013 Sunset to 8:45PM K. Anderson Observing w/ Binos looking unsucessfully for Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4. Perfectly clear with absolutely noclouds again.

Spent most of the time panning western sky for Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 with handheld Blueplanet Optics 2.3x40 28 deg TFOV galilean opera glass binos, Orion Expanse 7x32 14 deg TFOV & Vixen Ascot 10x50 8.5 deg TFOV binos; or garett
pistol grip monopod orion mini giant 9x63mm 5 deg tfov and 15x63mm 3.7 deg tfov binos (standing) without sucess in finding the very low comet. Closest thing I saw looking like a comet was a dark contrail with a bright nucleus/airplane. The thin crescent moon helped guide my overlapping views.

Naked eye:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*Search for but couldn't find Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 (either with sun up and paper blocking out sun in upper right corner, or sun below horizon observing from sunset till 8:45PM fully dark).
*Hyades/M45/Jupiter

Blue Planet Optics 2.3x40 28 deg TFOV:
*Complete Orion Hourglass/Col 70/Sword/M42
*Perseus A Cluster
*Hyades/Jupiter/M45 in same view (Best view of evening)
*Complete Auriga Pentagon/Mel 31
*Thin Crescent Moon
*Search for but couldn't find Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4
*first noticed Bright nucleus(plane) w/ dark contrail potentially loking like comet from upstairs window

Orion Expanse 7x32 14 deg TFOV:
*Thin Crescent Moon

Vixen Ascot 10x50 8.5 deg TFOV:
*Thin Crescent Moon

orion mini-giant 9x63 5 deg TFOV mounted on Garrett monopod:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*confirmed Bright nucleus was plane w/ dark contrail and definitely not the comet from outside

orion mini-giant 15x63 3.7 deg TFOV mounted on Garrett pistol grip monopod:
*Thin Crescent Moon
*confirmed Bright nucleus was plane w/ dark contrail and definitely not the comet from outside (wanted to see it at higher power)
*watched a herron in flight

Since I was dressed for work with just one jacket and no facemask it was very cold and windy, that I did have to break observe inside from upstairs to both briefly warm up and attempt to see lower closer to the horizon (than trees would allow from driveway and rest of front yard, and up the street.

Ken

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5731438 - 03/14/13 12:17 AM

We went out for comet hunting this evening. We had very warm weather today, high was 86 degree. Thanks to warm temperature, marine layers didn't come early evening.

We spotted it with 7x36 Zenray and then 10x42 Canon. I took a few shots of Panstarr with 400mm f/5.6 telephoto lens.

Nice after sunset:

The Moon:

Marine layers were coming our way but not yet

Now Panstarr:

Tammy

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5731475 - 03/14/13 12:43 AM

Nice photos of Panstarrs!

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5731580 - 03/14/13 02:57 AM

Great reports and photos!

However,there would appear to be a little conflicted detail regarding the position of the comet.

Brentwood mentioned it being directly to the LEFT of the moon,while Don mentioned seeing it 2 degrees north(RIGHT).

Which was correct?

Kenny

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

#5731635 - 03/14/13 05:05 AM

Most frustrating last few days here. Clear all day (and I maen ALL day) for the last 3 days then just at sundown the sky has clouded over in the west and south west. Then all three days, after darkness has fallen completely the sky clears! Unbelievable.

Maybe tonight. It's a very clear morning here today.

ianatcn

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: brentwood]
      #5731651 - 03/14/13 05:40 AM

From the UK the comet was almost directly below the moon and to the right. I was surprised that there was only a window of half an hour between the sky being dark enough to pick it up and the comet setting behind trees on the horizon. Knowing exactly where it is in relation to the moon really helps in picking it up early. We have three cloudy days to look forward to here in the south so it will have moved quite a bit by the time I next get to see it. Keep looking Kenny!

ianatcn

#5731654 - 03/14/13 05:55 AM Attachment (92 downloads)

Kenny, I took this photo at the same time of the moon and comet. I don't know if you will see much of the comet as I had to reduce the image considerably to get it to load in Cloudy Nights. It is the small bright object just to the right of the dark cloud mass close to the horizon.

Don Taylor
sage

#5731668 - 03/14/13 06:39 AM

Quote:

Great reports and photos!

However,there would appear to be a little conflicted detail regarding the position of the comet.

Brentwood mentioned it being directly to the LEFT of the moon,while Don mentioned seeing it 2 degrees north(RIGHT).

Which was correct?

Kenny

Both: Was directly to the left of the moon the evening of 3/12 and ~ 15 deg west (below) and ~2 dEg north (right) the evening of 3/13, mostly due to the lunar orbital motion.

The comet's position at same local time only changed by about 2 or 3 degrees between 3/12 and 3/13.

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

#5731695 - 03/14/13 07:07 AM

Very useful photo Ian, thank you.

Special Ed
Postmaster

#5732019 - 03/14/13 10:58 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

...The comet was a lovely sight with the crescent moon above showing earthshine. The coma was reasonable large with no central condensation. I could follow the tail about 0.25 degrees back...

ianatcn,

Nice report. I have yet to observe the comet myself but from what I gather reading recent comet observation reports, the coma is strongly condensed (degree of condensation or DC=7/ in some reports). When the coma is strongly condensed it can reach out and make the edge of the coma almost invisible and appear like there is no central condensation.

I saw something like this when I observed C/2006 P1 (McNaught). I'd never seen such a bright coma. I thought the coma was not condensed because I couldn't see any central condensation--actually the coma was almost completely condensed. The DC probably equaled 8/. Here's my sketch:

Special Ed
Postmaster

#5732028 - 03/14/13 11:03 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Here is a DC chart. The BAA also has a good DC chart here.

Edited by Special Ed (03/14/13 11:23 AM)

ianatcn

#5732181 - 03/14/13 12:36 PM

Special Ed,

Thanks for the observation. I believe you are right and the coma was just very bright. I will try the 40x80 on it next opportunity I get to see if that teases out any detail. there are gaps in the clouds here at the moment with a front coming in later. I may get a chance tonight.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5732273 - 03/14/13 01:33 PM

Thanks for posting that photo,Ian.

I can see the comet clearly in the photo.

The comet location confirms my original suspicion that it was so much closer to the horizon than the moon ( considerably more so than I'd imagined ) that the house roof I mentioned WNW of our house would definitely have obscured it from my view.

I did see a distinctive lone star that by my estimations ought to have appeared to the right of and below the moon in your photo,somewhere near where that uppermost dark cloud is.

Kenny

Bonco
Post Laureate

#5732498 - 03/14/13 04:14 PM

13 Mar In Florida at sunset it was below the moon about 1/2 way to the horizon.
Bill

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
      #5732526 - 03/14/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for posting that photo,Ian.

I can see the comet clearly in the photo.

The comet location confirms my original suspicion that it was so much closer to the horizon than the moon ( considerably more so than I'd imagined ) that the house roof I mentioned WNW of our house would definitely have obscured it from my view.

I did see a distinctive lone star that by my estimations ought to have appeared to the right of and below the moon in your photo,somewhere near where that uppermost dark cloud is.

Kenny

I too have been expecting the comet to be next to the moon although the cloud has never allowed a chance of spotting it.

Rich_W

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Simon S]
      #5732954 - 03/14/13 08:38 PM

That's very helpful. I too had been expecting it to be next or near to the moon. Failed to find it tonight with my 15 x 50's and now I know why. Although it wouldn't have mattered as so close to the horizon it wouldn't have been visible from this urban location due to the western light glow. I'll have to try to get out of town if I get another clear night.

It was a nice night with the moon anyhow!

Bonco
Post Laureate

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Rich_W]
      #5732960 - 03/14/13 08:42 PM

14 March at sunset, Florida. PS was brighter than last night due to better transparent air. About 15 deg above the horizon, barely visible with naked eye. Nice in the 10X50's. Coma looks elongated on east/west axis. I still estimate about 2nd magnitude. Bill

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
      #5733011 - 03/14/13 09:13 PM

just got in from seeing it at the local resevoir with the club president,, we were looking to close to the moon.. it was further down and to the north

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: skinnyonce]
      #5733026 - 03/14/13 09:25 PM

Kenny,
If you see the lone star; go to right 10 degree estimated and about 10 degree down and you will not miss it unless you have a bad light pollution to your western sky.

It is bright enough even in the 7x35 will show you if you are at a very dark site like yellow zone. I have looked already now with 7x35, 12x60 and 25x100.

I wish that I could check with my 12" dob but it is damn heavy to lug into my tiny car.

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5733035 - 03/14/13 09:30 PM

seen with 25x150s tonight

not that much different from 8x56s 2 nights ago, except tail about 1/2 degree long in a fan shape

note-got a glimpse of comet naked eye (after viewing with binoculars and knowing where to look) but not enough to positive ID alone.

edj

gwd

#5733185 - 03/14/13 10:48 PM

We saw it from in front of the Capitol building looking out above the dome of the natural history museum. couldn't see it naked eye but had the 20x60s. At first it looked pale yellowish when it was up to the south of the museum dome as it sank to the horizon it got more red and moved to the north of the dome. I mention these landmarks in case you want to see the azimuthal directions on google earth. We were right in the middle of the Capitol west side between the two sets of steps.

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
      #5733585 - 03/15/13 07:56 AM

Quote:

not that much different from 8x56s 2 nights ago

edj

I have to agree with Ed. The weather cleared here and I've seen it the last three nights. The view of the comet in 10X50, 16X70, 20X80, 14X100, and in an 11 inch scope at low power are not that much different. I was hoping that larger aperture would show a lot more tail, and I see a little more tail with increasing aperture, but not a lot. Perhaps the position of the comet in the twilight sky doesn't create enough contrast between the dimmer part of the tail and the sky to allow seeing more tail with increasing aperture. Two nights ago I looked at it with three other observers and we all liked how it looked through binoculars better than the view in the 11 inch scope.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: kcolter]
      #5733595 - 03/15/13 08:08 AM

Weather conditions in my area are not helping...
I tried last night but the heavy haze killed any chance of seeing it.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5733966 - 03/15/13 11:45 AM

Still no joy here. We're in a "Pineapple Express" weather pattern that's bringing upper-level moisture from the eastern Pacific over the high desert and Colorado Plateau. It was wonderfully clear last night everywhere in the sky except for the west. It's been like that for the last three nights. Ugh.

gwd

#5733979 - 03/15/13 11:55 AM

Frederick MD isn't that far from DC and it was easy to spot with binoculars from downtown the early evening of March 14th. This morning one of those freebee newspapers had a photo of PANSTARRS from New Mexico. My wife who is basically a non-stargazer remarked "It didn't look like that. It looked better, we could see more." What she meant is the 30 second exposure didn't show the contrast between the central condensation and the tail, nor the variations in brightness in the tail. So often we think that the photos show more than we see with our eyes but if you really look the view though our binos actually show a wider range of intensities than you get in a photo.

Scott BeithAdministrator
SRF

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: gwd]
      #5734050 - 03/15/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Frederick MD isn't that far from DC and it was easy to spot with binoculars from downtown the early evening of March 14th. This morning one of those freebee newspapers had a photo of PANSTARRS from New Mexico. My wife who is basically a non-stargazer remarked "It didn't look like that. It looked better, we could see more." What she meant is the 30 second exposure didn't show the contrast between the central condensation and the tail, nor the variations in brightness in the tail. So often we think that the photos show more than we see with our eyes but if you really look the view though our binos actually show a wider range of intensities than you get in a photo.

The sky near zenith was nice, but a heavy haze covered the 1/3 of the sky nearest the horizon in Frederick.
I will try again if the weather cooperates.

George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

#5734217 - 03/15/13 02:14 PM

It is wonderful to have a comet nicely visible from the inner city. I was not expecting it to look that good (I was using 15x50 binoculars). Moon was pretty, too.

Bonco
Post Laureate

#5734388 - 03/15/13 03:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

not that much different from 8x56s 2 nights ago

edj

I have to agree with Ed. The weather cleared here and I've seen it the last three nights. The view of the comet in 10X50, 16X70, 20X80, 14X100, and in an 11 inch scope at low power are not that much different. I was hoping that larger aperture would show a lot more tail, and I see a little more tail with increasing aperture, but not a lot. Perhaps the position of the comet in the twilight sky doesn't create enough contrast between the dimmer part of the tail and the sky to allow seeing more tail with increasing aperture. Two nights ago I looked at it with three other observers and we all liked how it looked through binoculars better than the view in the 11 inch scope.

That's been my experience with almost every comet I've observed. Bino's are usually the optic of choice. For me the exception is very dim comets around 8th or dimmer magnitude. A telescope in that case delivers needed light gathering power. Bright comets like Hale-Bopp are beautifully viewed in almost any resonable quality bino.
Bill

ngc 9999

#5735145 - 03/15/13 10:28 PM

Viewed the comet tonight again. It moved about 8 degrees to the northern horizon since two days ago.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: George9]
      #5735607 - 03/16/13 07:29 AM

Quote:

It is wonderful to have a comet nicely visible from the inner city. I was not expecting it to look that good (I was using 15x50 binoculars). Moon was pretty, too.

I agree
most of the recent comets have been small, faint
should I say "boring" with binoculars
good to have a pretty one-and bright also

*should be a hit with the outreach folks

edj

Edited by edwincjones (03/16/13 07:31 AM)

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

#5736728 - 03/16/13 05:44 PM

constant, unremitting rain here. Can't even play golf this weekend either as my local course is closed due to waterlogging. I am actually quite pleased it isn't a spectacular comet as I would be gutted to not even catch a glimpse of it. If ISON in november is as bright as they are predicting and the weather is as bad, i'm quitting astronomy and golf and taking up an indoor hobby that is not weather dependent. Tiddlywinks perhaps.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: RichD]
      #5736749 - 03/16/13 05:52 PM

I must admit,the typically terrible weather we tend to get so much of here in the north of England is the main reason I fell away from stargazing as a pastime.

Over the past ten year or so,whenever anything extraordinary has been viewable in the night sky, the clouds or rain or both have prevented me from seeing any of it.

Rich V.
Post Laureate

#5736918 - 03/16/13 06:59 PM

You make a good point, Kenny.

Even from my high desert location that typically does have a lot of clear nights, I've been skunked for over a week now with high, thin clouds over the Sierras to my west.

I'm just glad PanSTARRS didn't turn out to be "the comet of a lifetime" as I'd be pulling out what little hair I still have left!

Rich

TonyTowe
sage

Reged: 07/21/09

Loc: North Georgia, USA
      #5737411 - 03/16/13 09:40 PM

I was able to see the comet for the first time this evening. I'm fortunate to live about a mile from the highest point in the county that I live in, which provides a good clear view in all directions. Got there about 8:00pm local time, and the W/NW horizon was still somewhat bright. There were a few other folks already there who had not had any luck in spotting it. After sweeping the sky around 280deg NW with my 12x63 Mini-Giants, I was starting to get discouraged, when all of a sudden the comet seemed to jump into view around 8:30pm. I was surprised at how bright it was. I have to admit I was on cloud nine after being the first to spot it. We watched it for the next 20 minutes as it slowly sank into the haze above the horizon. Awesome experience!

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: TonyTowe]
      #5737472 - 03/16/13 10:14 PM

Great going Tony.

Don Taylor
sage

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: panhard]
      #5737521 - 03/16/13 10:46 PM

been cloudy the last 3 nights here - glad I saw it 3/12 & 3/13.

Sonomajfk

Reged: 06/30/12

Loc: northern CA, USA
      #5737985 - 03/17/13 03:37 AM

Finally, tonight, after days of generally clear skies but banks of clouds to the west, we got a perfectly clear western horizon. My view to the west from our backyard has trees and a ridge of hills, but I was lucky enough to catch sight of the comet before it set behind the hill! I watched it for about 15 minutes in my 15 x 70's; it was larger and more extended than I expected... glad I finally got to see it for myself.
John.

rodnocjolly

Reged: 10/13/12

Panstarr from the Alps in Italy new [Re: Sonomajfk]
      #5738033 - 03/17/13 05:20 AM

Two days ago I saw it at 1500 meters high location in the Alps in Italy.
The comet was disappearing behind the trees.

Pictures were taken with a Fuji Xpro1 and a 60mm (equiv. 90mm on full frame).

I saw it clearly with a Canon 12x36 IS II

Edited by rodnocjolly (03/17/13 05:24 AM)

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: Panstarr from the Alps in Italy new [Re: rodnocjolly]
      #5738121 - 03/17/13 07:56 AM

SpaceWeather.com has an image that shows (?) that the comet may be fragmenting (or at lest one fragment).

edj

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Panstarr from the Alps in Italy new [Re: rodnocjolly]
      #5738338 - 03/17/13 10:25 AM

Here is March 16th around 20:00 PDT at frontyard of our house, Panstarr was over neighbor's roof. It was taken with full frame camera (Canon 1DX) and 90mm (TSE 90) lens, ISO 800, f/2.8, 2.5 second exposure.

Looking through Canon 10x42, the 100% crop below was just like one through binoculars.

100% crop:

Tammy

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Panstarr from the Alps in Italy new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5739986 - 03/18/13 01:55 AM

Friday Mar 17, 2013 Sunset to 1:30PM Island Lake Spring Mill Pond on top of hill at beginning of parking lot K. Anderson Observing w/ Binos w/ Greg Kleneklian, (Did not take 17.5" f4.1 dob with wheel barrel wheels up the very large hill; just left it in the car ). Hazy with light scattered clouts mostly near western horizon. Cold and windy, but I was well dressed for it (almost sweating), but thanks for the hot choclate Greg! Windy and cold on top of the hill.

Spent most of the time panning western sky for Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 with Garett pistol grip monopod orion mini giant 15x63mm 3.7 deg tfov binos with sucess in finding the less than 10 deg (or one fist high) comet. Earlier I was 98% convinced I saw the bright (non-naked eye) comet during twighlight with 25x100mm binos with both straight and curved/arced tails before getting lost in the hazy clouds. For the most part I kept the 25x100s locked on that position with the bottom edge being the trees, while I searched with 15x63mm binos on monopod. When Greg arrived, he said that was too low, so we panned up higher. As it got darker I aimed at a dim spot it in the sky and shouted I found it, a very bright vertical straight comet 5 times longer than the narrow nucleas pointing down (tail up). Then we lost it trying to find it in 25x100s. Greg later found it in his 80mm 45 deg 1.25" Vixen binos. From then on we observed the comet continously till it set in a thin lower gap in the trees across the pond. Most the time the commet appeared 4 times longer than the brighter nucleus, sometimes when it was dim in the haze only two times longer. It was fun watching it set and I had to move my garret monopod to the opposite side of greg, since my 25x100 binos had the comet set to the right side of the tree gap notch, and he was luckily centrally positioned. Best view was initially with 15x63 when it was brighter above clouds and longer and I was most excited, and then next best was with 25x100 binos at 4x length of nucles and slightly in haze.

Appogee 25x100mm 3 deg TFOV on camera tripod fully extended up:
*Initialy 98% convinced I saw the bright (non-naked eye) comet during twighlight wth both straight and arced/curved to the right tails, so kept it locked at thispart of sky. Greg later informed me this was NOT the comet, but I was still not convinved (it wasn't) till I found the larger but not as bright real comet up to 30 min later est.)
*Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 - Vertical bright nucleus pointed down with upward wider tail up to 4x length of nucleus. Tied best view of evening & Comet!!!!!!
*Sword/iota/M42/NGC1977/NGC1981 - 2nd best view of evening, filled the view vertically
*C14 Double Cluster looked like dragon fly & Stock 2
*Hyades had to pan
*Almost 1st quarter/Crescent Moon (bottom left) and Jupiter/moons (upper right) near edges of same view
*M45 - looked like cartoon rat in dress (Greg could recognize it also after I explained it to him).

Greg's 80mm 45 deg Vixen binos with 3 different powr 1.25" eyepieces:
*Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 - Vertical bright nucleus pointed down with upward wider tail up to 3x length of nucleus. Tied best view of evening & Comet!!!!!. Enjoyed lowest and mid powers better than highest power.
*Sword/iota/M42/NGC1977/NGC1981 - not as bright as in 25x100s, but still a very nice view.
*M45 - looked like cartoon rat in dress (Greg could recognize it also after I explained it to him).

Orion mini-giant 15x63 3.7 deg TFOV on garrett pistol grip monopod:
*Initialy 98% convinced I saw the bright (non-naked eye) comet during twighlight wth both straight and arced/curved to the right tails. Greg later informed me this was NOT the comet. Continued to pan for comet when I (thought I) lost it.
*Comet C/2011 Panstarrs L4 - Vertical bright nucleus pointed down with upward wider tail up to 2-5x length of nucleus. Tied best view of evening & Comet (initally 5x and very bright but lost it after switching to 25x100s)!!!!!!
*Sword/iota/M42/NGC1977/NGC1981
*Col 70 (w/o S in haze)
*C14 Double Cluster looked like dragon fly & Stock 2 (Greg could see it also after I explained it to him)
*Hyades/Moon/Jupiter with almost 1st quarter/crescent moon directly in between - Tied 2nd best view
*M45 - slightly looked like cartoon rat in dress
*Perseus A Cluster had to pan

Blue Planet Optics 2.3x40 28 deg TFOV:
*Complete Orion Hourglass/Col 70/Sword/M42
*Perseus A Cluster dim in haze
*Hyades/Moon/Jupiter/M45 in same view (Tied 2nd best Best view of evening - put everthing in perspective!)
*C14 Double Cluster looked like dragon fly
*Comet Panstarrs had already set before I took these out to show Greg.

Ken

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5740744 - 03/18/13 01:42 PM

The clouds that have been obstructing the comet for over a week finally cleared up last night during the "blue hour". I picked up the comet with my 10x35s when it was about 15 degrees above the horizon. The lower 5 or so is obstructed by the mountains. I watched the comet drop behind a band of translucent thin clouds and set behind the pine trees of the Sierras. Nice! It looked just like the photos that have been all over the web.

Since the clouds dissipated rather quickly, I only had the chance to get out the 10x35s and my 80mm refractor. The most pleasing view was with the binos but the scope at 23x80 showed the comet's central brightening of the coma better. Cranking up the mag to 48x didn't help see any further extension of the comet's tail; 23x was better, IMO.

If I'm lucky enough to be cloudless again tonight, I'll try the 16x70s or 22x70s; maybe even 33x100s. I've found the 16x70s to be excellent for viewing comets in the past.

Rich

J. Barnes

Reged: 04/11/09

Loc: Kalispell, Montana
      #5741057 - 03/18/13 04:12 PM

Finally! After months of clouds and a cancelled public viewing by our club, a "sucker hole" opened up to reveal it in my 16x70's. It seemed to magically appear around 8:30. After seeing it through the bins, my reluctant to stargazing wife was impressed and was able to pick it out naked eye. Might have been my only chance. Forecast: Clouds till June.

EricP
sage

Reged: 11/09/07

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: J. Barnes]
      #5741399 - 03/18/13 06:48 PM

I saw it for the first time on March 12th. Weather has not cooperated since. Last night, around dusk, the sky looked perfectly clear. Finally, another chance to see it. You guessed it - the only clouds in the sky was a band right across the western sky.

Don Taylor
sage

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: EricP]
      #5741892 - 03/18/13 10:01 PM

Saw comet again tonight. No western clouds for once but twilight seemed to last a long time. Finally saw it about 10 degrees above the horizon and ~15 degrees north of west. Very bright condensed nucleus and short, broad tail brighter on the north edge. Appeared longer as the sky darkened but I never saw it more than 1/2 degree long. Could make out some structure in the tail. Seeing not very steady and looking through lots of atmosphere.

As it got to about 5 deg above the horizon it was dark enough that I could see it naked-eye. Barely but clearly visible.

Still, a bit better than it looked last Wednesday.

Best view and notes above with Pentax 20 x 60 on tripod

Sent from my iPhone

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5742080 - 03/19/13 12:03 AM

We finally saw PANSTARRS tonight. We almost didn't.

I've been trying for more than a week, but the weather hasn't been cooperating. Last night it was perfectly clear and I went out for a while, but it turns out I went out too early and didn't have a good horizon from my back yard. I was kicking myself all day for not going somewhere else, especially when it started to cloud up this afternoon.

Looking to the west tonight, I almost decided the clouds were going to be a show-stopper, but I said, "What the heck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained." We piled a couple of pairs of binos and a tripod into the car and took off for the City water plant, which is a few hundred feet above the valley floor and has a decent western horizon. Decent for here, anyway. The valley floor is 4600 feet and the Uncompaghre Plateau tops out at about 6500 feet to the southwest. We figured that at worst, we would get skunked by the clouds again like we did Friday night, but at least we would be outdoors looking at the sky.

Sure enough, when we got up high, there was some clear space between the clouds and the horizon. We decided it wouldn't cost us anything to wait, so we'd give it until 8:30 or so.

We watched a beautiful sunset and began scanning the horizon; me with my recently-acquired $20 Meade 12x60s and Cheryl (my wife) with our lovely old Asahi Pentax 7x50s. Nothing. But we figured that all we had to do was stay put and it would eventually drop below the clouds.

At about 8:20, I said, "I've got it." Cheryl said, "You do? Where?" and I told her where. It was right off the end of a big black cloud--easy to navigate to. She had no trouble seeing it in the 7x50s. Glutton for punishment that I am, I took a tiny little pair of Minolta 8x20 roof prism binos out of the glove compartment and I could see it in those too. At one point, I could see it naked eye, but just barely. It's one of those things that if you know exactly where to look, you can sort of see it, but you'd never find it naked eye if you didn't know where to look.

Then a local homeowner came over to see if we were drug dealers or something. It turned out to be a guy I used to work with 20 years ago. We told him what we were doing and he went and got his own binos and tripod.

We watched it for about a half hour. It set behind the cliffs of Colorado National Monument at exactly 8:50 local time.

So, next clear night we'll be out again now that we know where and when to look. I'll bring the 20x80s.

It had a very condensed nucleus and lovely V-shaped tail, which extended maybe 1/2 degree. Not a bad binocular comet at all. You just have to wait for it to get dark.

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: rdandrea]
      #5742373 - 03/19/13 07:37 AM

Observed the comet through several binos last night. I was particularly fond of the Tak 22X60 image.

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5743217 - 03/19/13 03:23 PM

Thanks for the report rdandrea!

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Stacy]
      #5748594 - 03/21/13 09:45 PM

Finally got some clear skies here in Kentucky and took advantage to observe Panstarr. Unusually cold for this time of year but that helped with some very clear skies and also with where I did my observing.

There is a large lake only about a ten minutes drive from my home and that is where I went to observe. There is about a 1 mile section of the lake that runs east to west and I observed from a boat ramp on the east looking west/northwest. Very cold after dark so didn't have to contend with any boat traffic and of course there were absolutely no street lights, etc. to interfere with my observations.

Viewing conditions were superb, only minutes out of getting out of the car (about 8:40 PM) I could easily make out the Seven Sisters naked eye. My wife was waiting in the car due to the cold so I began looking using her favorite binocular (7x42 EDG). I started on the horizon looking to the W/NW and spotted the comet when I panned up in the sky about 15 or so. Very easily seen with the tail pointing strait up. Viewing condition were excellent and I'm not sure if it was due to some reddish tones left over the sunset but to me the comet had a slight yellow cast.

I went back to the car to get my wife and also brought back my 12x50 SEs and the comet really looked nice at this increased image scale. I had my Silva compass with me and took a bearing (little hard to do in the dark) but estimated the direction at very close to 300. Due to very bad weather lately this is the first chance I've had a Panstarr but it's well worth the effort and with good viewing conditions extremely easy to find.

Steve

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5748789 - 03/21/13 11:43 PM

We saw it again tonight too. Picked it up at 8:04 local time about 1 degree northwest of 54 and 55 Psc and watched it set at 8:55. It definitely has a yellowish cast. It was yellowish on Monday also. It has moved quite a bit north since Monday.

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #5749021 - 03/22/13 03:37 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Observed PANSTARRS for the first time last evening. It was the first really clear evening sky in a long time. Took out my 3 binoculars and drove to a lakeside 2 miles from home with a clear horizon view.

After a short scan of the Andromeda/Pegasus region I found the comet in my Zeiss FL 7x42 bino. A magic moment. I saw a bright comet floating in the evening sky around 12 degrees above the horizon. It had a dense, starlike nucleus, nice widening tail pointing straight up with a sharper edge on the west (right) side and distinctly yellow in color. Brighter than M31 and a striking color difference. I estimated PANSTARRS' brightness at Mv 3.0.

I continued observing with my Nikon 18x70. A stunningly beautiful sight. More brightness, detail and refinement in the image of the comet and the surrounding stars. Again and clearer the beautiful yellow color of the nucleus and tail. Difference in delineation of the east and westside was seen more easily. Length of the tail a little less than in the Zeiss 7x42. These 2 bino's showed a tail length of about 1 degree.

I also observed with my Zeiss FL 10x32. Sharp but dim image. Less tail and no color visible. Just grayish.

All in all a great and easy to observe comet, displaying filigran beauty and showing the mystic and wonder of our dynamic solar system to all who observe it in person.

Included is a snapshot of a quick sketch I made of Comet PANSTARRS as observed with the 18x70 bino yesterday-evening.

H.S.

Reged: 06/26/07

Loc: Terre Du Lac, MO
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5749205 - 03/22/13 08:37 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

For descriptions of binocular views I like sketches better than photos and I like the one you did here.
I can't draw so I took a few photos.
Harry

steve@37n83.9w
sage

#5749258 - 03/22/13 09:18 AM

Nice sketch Eric. Expecting clear skies again tonight so I'm going back to the lake again where the view to the W/NW is superb. I'm planning on taking three or four binos to compare the view in several different magnifications, and I'm definitely taking my 18x70.

I want to see the comet at greater magnification to better assess the color. Seemed to have a very pronounced yellowish tint last night which was more noticeable at 12x than 7x.

Steve

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

#5749384 - 03/22/13 10:20 AM

Steve,

You will love the views and yellow color in your 18x70. I know I did. It is a very nice piece of comet observing kit. I use the FL 7x42 as a finder and saw some very faint extensions of the tail with it. For detail, brightness and sheer image quality, the 18x70 is awesome.

Weather here will prevent me observing this beauty in the coming days

As soon as weather permits, I'll bring out the bigger guns to observe PANSTARRS !

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: H.S.]
      #5749395 - 03/22/13 10:24 AM

I can't draw either but try nevertheless to support my own ever too short memory

Love your photo Harry! Nice resemblance of low power views and the atmosphere of standing outside in the cold observing this comet low above the horizon.

desertlens
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
      #5749808 - 03/22/13 02:07 PM

This comet has been a very nice binocular target. I've managed to see it a half dozen evenings beginning Mar. 12. A poor naked eye object, this one comes into its own with the binos, both 10x50 and 20x80. It has been interesting to watch its magnitude diminish. Last night was a bit of a wash. It was windy all day yesterday and around here that means dust in the air. Visibility came and went. I'm already looking forward to ISON later in the year.

richsvt
sage

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: North Shore of Boston
Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: desertlens]
      #5750101 - 03/22/13 04:26 PM

I have been trying see it since it became visible and have not seen it even once. I have lots of stuff in the way in the west and then lots nasty weather. I may have to wait until it climbs in the sky some. How much dimmer will it get by next week or so? I had been using 10x50s with no luck. Maybe time to pull out the GBT100s...

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: richsvt]
      #5750149 - 03/22/13 04:48 PM

Rich,

10x50 are easily enough to find and observe this comet.

desertlens
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/10

Loc: 36N 105W
      #5750173 - 03/22/13 04:58 PM

I agree with Erik. PanSTARRS is easily visible with 10x50s. The comet is diminishing at this point but should be visible for a bit longer. Be sure to wait late enough. Too much remaining twilight makes things difficult. I've been able to pick it up only after 8:00 PM MST.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: desertlens]
      #5750304 - 03/22/13 06:05 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

This was 2 days ago, easily visible with low power binoculars of any size. I start with 7x42 to find it as it gets dark and then zero in on it with 16x70 and 20x60. They all provided very nice views.

Taken with 300mm telephoto on a D7000, cropped slightly.

Jae

Jae
Pooh-Bah

#5750327 - 03/22/13 06:11 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Taken at 70mm, uncropped with same camera.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5750328 - 03/22/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

What was your f/stop, exposure time, and ISO?

Jae
Pooh-Bah

#5750532 - 03/22/13 08:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What was your f/stop, exposure time, and ISO?

1.3 sec, f5.6 iso 1000. 280mm

Second pic was:

Same except f4.5, 70mm

I tried iso 5000 and 1/4 sec and 6400 iso but got better results at 1000.

All tripod mounted of course.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5750565 - 03/22/13 08:37 PM

Quote:

1.3 sec, f5.6 iso 1000. 280mm

Second pic was:

Same except f4.5, 70mm

I tried iso 5000 and 1/4 sec and 6400 iso but got better results at 1000.

All tripod mounted of course.

Thanks. Will try those as starting point settings next time out (rain for the next 2 or three nights).

QS3000

Reged: 02/21/09

Loc: Southern California
      #5752560 - 03/23/13 07:45 PM

I am a little late to the party; I simply wanted to say that the $20 Meade 12x60 binoculars we discussed here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5667815/page...

did an excellent job on March 13th magnifying the comet in So Cal. I live about 40 miles east of LA and during that evening (around 7:20pm) everything was in the right place for me to observe the comet from my yard with bare eyes as well. I kept following it for about 25 minutes before it vanished behind my neighbor's wall of trees.

I also observed our little friend with my heavily modified DS2090 that does an excellent job on the Orion Nebula, the moon and the planets but the view through the binoculars was way better. I have not been able to see the comet since due to clouds and tall trees that block the view on the west side of my yard but I am always hoping for one more session.

DrF

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: QS3000]
      #5752655 - 03/23/13 08:38 PM

+1 for the $20 Meades and PANSTARRS, although I think I could have seen it with 2x opera glasses--it was that bright.

richsvt
sage

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: North Shore of Boston
      #5759093 - 03/26/13 08:27 PM

Finally, the weather cooperated and I got a view of the comet. Damn cool. I know a little late to the party here but it was cool. Got to share with some neighbors and they seemed delighted.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

#5759184 - 03/26/13 09:06 PM

It's never too late when you finally see something you have wanted to see for a while. It's even better that you got to turn other people on to it.

yashi

Reged: 11/15/11

#5759550 - 03/27/13 03:55 AM

ive no clue how you guys are able to see it

i tried between 19-20. After that hes probably much to low anyways. But between 19-20 the sky is still so bright i can not even see the Pegasus stars which are right next to the comet and much brighter.

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: yashi]
      #5759561 - 03/27/13 04:17 AM

In which country are you?

yashi

#5759666 - 03/27/13 07:33 AM

germany

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5759715 - 03/27/13 08:12 AM

Oh well then it should be visible just like here in Belgium. One and a half hours after sunset it is at about 10 altitude in the northwest.

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

#5759719 - 03/27/13 08:15 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Hi Yashi,

You can find the comet easily in a medium size binocular (around 30-40mm) at low power (7-8x) around the top left corner of the great Pegasus square. I did so last evening and made a few pictures as well. The comet is brighter than M31 and once you have found M31, move your bino 1-2 fields to the horizon and you will see PANSTARRS. Best time is between 19.45 and 20.15. The earlier, the higher the comet in the sky, the later the darker the sky background. Go for it, it's wort it.

Edited by Erik Bakker (03/28/13 06:28 AM)

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

#5759724 - 03/27/13 08:17 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

And here is an overview from 2013-3-26 at 20.15 hrs with M31 at the top of the frame and PANSTARRS just behind the top of the trees at lower left. This picture is taken 10 minutes later than the previous one shown above.

You do need a very low and clear horizon view as you can see.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5759761 - 03/27/13 08:42 AM

No joy yet from NY...7x50's. How many degrees away from the sun?

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: t.r.]
      #5759808 - 03/27/13 09:12 AM

This evening the comet is 28 from the Sun, t.r.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5759890 - 03/27/13 10:00 AM

Thanks.

DonsDob

Reged: 05/21/12

Loc: CT
      #5759892 - 03/27/13 10:03 AM

Although I saw it briefly (for a minute between clouds) a week ago on 3/19, last night 3/26 was the first really clear western horizon in weeks here in CT. Panstarrs was visible thru my 8x56 from about 19:50 to 20:20. It formed the lower point of a triangle with (I think) delta and epsilon Andromeda.

yashi

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: DonsDob]
      #5760658 - 03/27/13 03:51 PM

thanks erik, i will give it another try as soon as possible.

sadly ive got a lot of "low horizon" clouds recently :/

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5761073 - 03/27/13 07:10 PM

For some reason it's got to the stage where I'm not sure I even WANT to see this comet now.

To me, it's become a bit like a woman playing a bit TOO hard to get.

Life's too short to waste too much of it chasing something so stubbornly elusive.

If it's going to appear so high in the sky as to become a target TOO easy to see any time soon from our windows or backyard,I'm considering erecting a large canvas sheet or something to block it from view.

Just my way of saying to it " sod you " ! :-)

Kenny

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5761084 - 03/27/13 07:16 PM

Quote:

For some reason it's got to the stage where I'm not sure I even WANT to see this comet now.

To me, it's become a bit like a woman playing a bit TOO hard to get.

Life's too short to waste too much of it chasing something so stubbornly elusive.

If it's going to appear so high in the sky as to become a target TOO easy to see any time soon from our windows or backyard,I'm considering erecting a large canvas sheet or something to block it from view.

Kenny

oh Kenny,
can you not remember the "thrill of the conquest"?
go for it-she's/it's worth it

edj

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
      #5761372 - 03/27/13 09:41 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

It's dimmed a lot in 2 weeks, it's also not very high. Saw it tonight again but I am not going to try again, it's not that impressive. I used the 15x50mm Canon IS.

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5761373 - 03/27/13 09:41 PM

You can just make it out in the image it in the center. Needed a 15 second exposure to capture it

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5761762 - 03/28/13 05:59 AM

Quote:

Kenny

Don't worry Kenny, it's getting dimmer every day and I can guarantee it will not ruin your dark adaptation. I don't think you could spot it now without some effort even in binoculars.

Erik Bakker
Carpal Tunnel

#5761772 - 03/28/13 06:26 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Yo guys are making this comet far more difficult to observe than it really is.

Last evening from 19.45 - 20.30 , I observed it easily in my 7x42 bino with a starlike nucleus and a beautiful wide dust tail. I glimpsed it with the naked eye. In the 18x70 bino it was a majestic sight. In the 102 f/8 fluorite at 40x, less tail was visible than in either of the binoculars. In the 16"f/5 at 100x in the 20 N T2 it was absolutely superb.

Included is a 1/2 sec handheld(!) picture I made with my Nikon D300 S, 70-200mm VR II Nikkor working at 200mm, f/2.8 and IS on at ISO 1600.

steve@37n83.9w
sage

#5761900 - 03/28/13 08:21 AM

Quote:

Yo guys are making this comet far more difficult to observe than it really is.

Last evening from 19.45 - 20.30 , I observed it easily in my 7x42 bino with a starlike nucleus and a beautiful wide dust tail. I glimpsed it with the naked eye. In the 18x70 bino it was a majestic sight. In the 102 f/8 fluorite at 40x, less tail was visible than in either of the binoculars. In the 16"f/5 at 100x in the 20 N T2 it was absolutely superb.

Included is a 1/2 sec handheld(!) picture I made with my Nikon D300 S, 70-200mm Nikkor working at 200mm, f/2.8 and IS on at ISO 1600.

Erik

I'm sure sky conditions must be a factor in how difficult Panstarr is to find/view. I observed on two occasions and like you thought it very easily found and a beautiful sight. I used my 7x 42EDG and 12x50 SE the first night and my 8x30 Habicht and 18x70 Astroluxe at my other observing session.

It's a shame that many of our forum members haven't managed this one yet due to bad sky/viewing conditions. I love comets and can't wait for ISON, if it's half as good as expected I can't imagine anyone not being able to see it.

Steve

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

#5761981 - 03/28/13 09:26 AM

2 weeks ago the comet was easy. Its not so much any more. Its faint and it never went really high. Overall not as impressed as I thought it would be. I saw it 3 times and I can say that its brightness has decreased by a lot.

Sonomajfk

Reged: 06/30/12

Loc: northern CA, USA
      #5762516 - 03/28/13 02:39 PM

Steve, I agree, local viewing conditions are the determining factor. Last night, we had very good conditions as a front had just blown through the area. I was able to walk out on our back deck and immediately pick up the comet in 15 x 70's.
Other nights I had no or very limited success depending on the atmosphere and cloud cover. If you haven't seen it, keep trying!
John.

Jae
Pooh-Bah

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Sonomajfk]
      #5763839 - 03/29/13 08:32 AM

I agree, it's worth the effort. A friend of mine told me that he finally found it but it was further North than he thought. Rather than searching around where the sun sets, start there and move northwards.

I have the Boston skyline in the background and I can still see it with low power binoculars, quite easily. With binoculars, if you can see a couple of stars in the region, then you can see the comet. The comet still stands out more easily than many of the stars visible.

GamesForOne
sage

Reged: 09/29/09

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5764006 - 03/29/13 09:31 AM

Quote:

With binoculars, if you can see a couple of stars in the region, then you can see the comet. The comet still stands out more easily than many of the stars visible.

I have the opposite opinion as I can find stars quite easily, but have had more difficulty spotting the comet over the last week.

The latest spaceweather.com post says estimates of mag +2.3 -- I'd estimate it more like mag +5. I observed the comet last night at ~9 deg elevation and found the diffuse core was fainter than pi Andromedae (mag +4.3) -- closer to the brightness of nearby HJ5451.

It was difficult to spot against the horizon glow in 25x100's. I could also spot it with my handheld 15x70's once I knew where to look, but it was more easily seen with averted vision in the 15x70's and was not very bright with direct vision.

---
Michael Mc

johndgaul

Reged: 05/19/11

#5771683 - 04/01/13 08:57 PM

Perfectly clear crisp skies in South Norfolk (52 degrees N), UK, this evening. Not a cloud to be seen.

Spectacular view of the comet against the starfield through Nikon 20x120s.

A lot dimmer than when seen from Central London in the twilight back on 13 March, but brilliant contrast against the darker sky, showing a beautiful fan tail. Brighter than the Andromeda Galaxy a bit more than a binocular field (3 degrees) higher up.

Also easily spotted in 8x32s (as was the AG).

Mark9473
Postmaster

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: johndgaul]
      #5772150 - 04/02/13 04:25 AM

You've wetted my appetite to have another try this evening, John, if this beautiful weather keeps up.

ianatcn

#5772328 - 04/02/13 08:35 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

John, I was out last night in the south of UK. I have attached a copy of photo I took as it most closely resembles the view of both objects through 10x50 binoculars.

This was the first time since 13 March that the weather has allowed me to view the comet.

I was using 15x60 Zeiss to sweep it up in twilight and it was easier to see initially than the AG. I then had my 40x80 Docter in action on its new UA T-Mount light. That showed the considerable tail and the condensed nucleus very well.

The night was so good that that I spent the next couple of hours sweeping through Perseus, Auriga, Taurus, Gemini and finished in Leo. The Leo triplet was a lovely sight in the Docter, as where the four galaxies of the Leo 1 group. NGC3628 and 3384 being the most difficult but easily held at 40x.

This comet has been a real tonic after a bad winters weather. I have also enjoyed this thread immensly. It is great to hear what others are doing in terms of practical observing with their binoculars.

johndgaul

Reged: 05/19/11

#5773284 - 04/02/13 04:34 PM

Mark, yeah go for it! I'd almost said goodbye to PANSTARRS, but I wanted to show my family I was staying with over Easter, so got out and glimpsed it through gaps in low-lying cloud on 31 March. But yesterday was much better, a beaut, so clear - what a surprise!

Ian, thanks for sharing that fantastic photo, and your story. The picture perfectly captures the view.

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5773376 - 04/02/13 05:06 PM

We didn't get a repeat of yesterday's nice clear sky; it was more the usual drab semi-clear sky and the only thing fooling me into some moderate optimism was the Winter Constellations' higher number of bright stars. In the direction of the comet, beta And was the only star visible to the naked eye.

Nevertheless I got to see the comet this evening between 21:30 and 22:00 local time, with my 15x60 binoculars and with my 107mm apo at 20x magnification. In both instruments it (barely) shared the FOV with the slightly dimmer Andromeda Galaxy. The comet had a very bright nucleus and a fan shaped tail.

It should have been a very nice view, but unfortunately it was largely ruined by low altitude haze reflecting a large amount of orange light pollution. Still happy that I saw it!

Edited by Mark9473 (04/02/13 05:08 PM)

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5773591 - 04/02/13 06:04 PM

My daughter just texted me from Oxfordshire telling me she just got a few photos of PANSTARR alongside the Andromeda Galaxy.

I told her she must be short of something useful to do! :-)

Kenny

Space Dragon

Reged: 02/19/12

Loc: Scotland UK
      #5774695 - 04/03/13 04:07 AM

Our Western horizon had been consistently cloudy for weeks, enough to prevent me from seeing the comet.
Last night, however was clear and I was surprised at how easy it was in my TS Marine 15x70s.
With Andromeda above and a line of trees below it was a great sight and with averted vision the tail was maybe just under 1.
A satisfying find.

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Space Dragon]
      #5775065 - 04/03/13 09:44 AM

I am glad you British Isles guys are finally getting some clear sky. Special thanks to Ian for that stunning photo with M31 and a meteor trail too! Since a couple of good early views, conditions have been rotten here in Merry Olde New Mexico.
Ron

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: ronharper]
      #5775449 - 04/03/13 12:26 PM

Finally, a clear night after a month of waiting! Saw it and M31 in the same field of my Bresser 10 x 50 Xtrawide clone. It's a least a magnitude brighter than M31. Once found, I could see it in the Minolta 6 x 18UC in spite of the industrial murk.

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5775524 - 04/03/13 01:07 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

My daughter just texted me from Oxfordshire telling me she just got a few photos of PANSTARR alongside the Andromeda Galaxy.

If you meant that she had TAKEN those photos, then please post them here Kenny.

As for yourself, it looks like it's clearing over the UK at the moment, Kenny. Go for it! Here's a chart where to look about 1.5 hours after sunset.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776027 - 04/03/13 05:33 PM

Mark,

Thanks for that very clear chart.

I've only just back home for musical rehearsals so missed the opportunity on what must be the clearest night I've seen here for many years.

My daughter sent me a link to that photo she took :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spicey_spiney/8614934866/in/photostream/

Kenny

Mark9473
Postmaster

#5776061 - 04/03/13 05:49 PM

That's an excellent photo; wish my view yesterday was as impressive.

Kenny, if you are ever going to see it, get up tomorrow morning 1,5 hours before sunrise and look in the North-East.
If you do have the clearest night in years, and a very good horizon, go out right now and look for it; the comet is circumpolar at our latitudes.

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776137 - 04/03/13 06:25 PM

I will go out in a few minutes and take a look before retiring for the night.

Presumably around North North Westerly direction now ?

1.5 hours BEFORE sunrise will be around 5am -- too early even for me when I'm working all day!

Cheers,
Kenny

KennyJ
The British Flash

#5776159 - 04/03/13 06:44 PM

No joy,Mark.

I'd momentarily forgotten what a poor direction that horizon is for viewing from here,with the city lights of Preston 4 miles NW and NNW washing out the sky.

The NE horizon is even worse,with tall trees and lights from a 24 hour operational industrial Brewery and a British Aerospace factory.

Not to worry,it's a bit like "After the Lord Mayor's Show" syndrome anyway now,given how much more prominent the comet was three weeks ago.

If it were truly meant to have been seen from our house,I'd have seen it before now,but it wasn't to be.

Farewell,PANSTARR - bon voyage!

J. Barnes

#5777517 - 04/04/13 12:03 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Finally a break in the clouds and got a good view around 4:30 this morning. This image is pretty close to what I saw through my Fuji's.

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogot - La Calera / Colombia
      #5777736 - 04/04/13 01:27 PM

great photo!

Tamiji Homma
Carpal Tunnel

#5781279 - 04/06/13 08:33 AM

You have much nicer photo.

We woke up at 4:30am and no dense fog so we decided to check out Panstarr.
It was easy to spot it with Kowa Highlander 21x but we have a street light toward NE unfortunately.

So image was damaged by street light glare.

Here is crop, close to hill M31 is visible under Panstarr:

Here is whole view:

Tammy

J. Barnes

Re: Looking for PANSTARR new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5781625 - 04/06/13 11:41 AM

Thanks alot. I mounted my camera on top of my old C8 for the tracking and used the telephoto lens. I have a brighter stacked image that is also processed to eliminate the orange glow from the lumber mill below, but this single shot better shows what I actually saw through my bins.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12711

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics