Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1
Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/20/07

Scorpius / Libra Wide-Field 2 Panel Mosaic
      #5724593 - 03/10/13 07:38 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

The region of eastern Libra, northern Scorpius and southern Ophiuchus taken on an early morning on March 22, 2012.

This is a two panel Mosaic using the Pentax 67 and 165 f/2.8 @ f/4.8 and 45 minutes exposures on Kodak E200 transparency film developed N+1.5.

Scanning was done with an Epson V600. Images were combined and post processing were done in Photoshop.

Notice how this frame details the Milky Way's central bulge tapering off into space and entering the galactic halo region, home of globular clusters. Can you spot globular cluster NGC-5897 in the right side of this image? Click on the larger image link below and look sharp!

Larger image: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59003880/March%2022-2012.jpg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
THEPLOUGH
ELEVEN Grandchildren; FIVE Ducklings

Reged: 01/11/08

Loc: Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND
Re: Scorpius / Libra Wide-Field 2 Panel Mosaic new [Re: Nightfly]
      #5724621 - 03/10/13 07:53 PM

Michal1
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe
Re: Scorpius / Libra Wide-Field 2 Panel Mosaic new [Re: THEPLOUGH]
      #5725641 - 03/11/13 11:36 AM

Nightfly, thanks for sharing. Is the sky significantly worse in these southern regions than in the zenith from you location? It is at my site. Even though there is not much LP towards the southern horizon, the sky is usually somewhat hazy and MW becomes featureless. You live only 5 degrees to the south than me, but this might be a matter of climate. I'm going to image these southern parts of the sky for the firts time this year, so I'd like to know what I can expect.

Nightfly
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/20/07

Re: Scorpius / Libra Wide-Field 2 Panel Mosaic new [Re: Michal1]
      #5726510 - 03/11/13 06:10 PM

Hi Michal. Yes, there are occasions that this area, this low declination is just too murky, but living on the Atlantic coast, there is no light pollution over my meridian and the air quality is good most of the time.

If you look carefully you can see that the bottom half of the frame above does show a slight gradient. This is especially noticeable on the right half of the frame.

Visually I lose about a full magnitude near the horizon versus the zenith. I often do a visual to decide if I will shoot low or aim somewhat higher for a particular night. Scutum is a good example.

I shoot as low as I can and I am limited by a tree line right now at about -32 degrees. Sky glow often appears at my horizon and can bother a session and often is not seen until the film comes back.

Here is an example of sky glow on my SSE horizon.

Airglow Captured! by Nightfly Photography, on Flickr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mitchell Duke, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 509

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics