Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Starry eyes

Reged: 04/30/10

Atlas Meridian Flip new
      #5724790 - 03/10/13 09:29 PM

So I'm setting up for an extended imaging run. I'm starting East of the meridian but I want to do a goto so that the OTA is on the East side... but the goto insists on going to the West side where the scope will hit the leg before the imaging run is done. So, some trick to it? I have the Orion Atlas Mount.

Help will be appreciated

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hcsceo

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Atlas Meridian Flip new [Re: Starry eyes]
      #5725029 - 03/11/13 12:40 AM

You could use ccd commander to handle the flip for you automatically. The best option would be to set an alarm for when the target will cross the meridian and go out there and run a goto that would force a flip and take the time to refocus and check on things. The only other thing I can think to do is find a target in the west then use the hand controller to slew the scope back to the east and find your target manually. That should keep your scope on the east side of the mount. If you don't care about the alignment you could goto the target and center then release the clutch and rotate the scope in Dec 90 degrees then release ra and rotate till it is back in view. Not sure what kind of scope you are using but focus and image shift could be an issue. Any way hope this helps.

Starry eyes

Reged: 04/30/10

Re: Atlas Meridian Flip new [Re: hcsceo]
      #5725052 - 03/11/13 01:00 AM

Hmmm, meybe I just fool it and say that it's next month. That would advance the perceived meridian for the computer so the mount thinks the meridian is actually 2 R.A. Hours East. I might park the mount that way too. I wonder, I'm using Sky Tools to point, change the time on the laptop? Too? Can we outsmart our computers???

shams42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: Kingsport, TN
Re: Atlas Meridian Flip [Re: Starry eyes]
      #5725648 - 03/11/13 11:38 AM

If you are using EQMOD you can use the "flipped goto" option which might work for you.

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/MovementStrategies.pdf

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 392

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics