Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #5736134 - 03/16/13 12:05 PM

My budget's around $1600. That covers the telescope and any other required/recommended accessories that I need. If I invest on the Baader zoom eyepiece, would I need a barlow and/or a focal reducer? Or that eyepiece will be alright by itself?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5736365 - 03/16/13 02:02 PM

Again, only in my opnion, but I'd forget the Barlow. The Baader "Zoom" has enough range to make a Barlow unnecessary. Conversely, an f/6.3 focal length reducer can be used selectively to advantage.

For example, in the 20mm EP position, the Baader will give a magnification of 2000mm/20mm = X100 with a theoretical true field of view of 68/100 = 0.68 deg.

With the f/6.3 reducer in place, the magnification is reduced to 1260/20 = X63 with a consequent theoretical true field of view of 1.08 degs.

Perhaps Peter 9 wouild care to comment ? I believe he uses this combination extensively.

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

#5736392 - 03/16/13 02:19 PM

I really appreciate you answering my questions so far!!!

Another thing, any chance you know the diameter of the baader zoom eyepiece?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Accessories/Orion-...

I have this with my smartphone "Samsung Galaxy S3" to take pics. Tinkering with the stock camera app and couple of other lowlight/long exposure app, I have taken really good pics of the moon. Managed to take a pic of Jupiter and orion nebula. Even though they're not high quality like the one taken with a dslr camera, it's good enough for me. Used it with the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST Telescope that I recently managed to sell to save up for the nexstar 8se.

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/16/13 02:20 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5736487 - 03/16/13 03:10 PM

I'm sorry, but I can't help you here as I don't own a Baader Zoom.

I have a range of individual Baaders, namely the 21mm, 17mm and 13mm, but the body size of these EPs may well differ.

Presumably, and with the camera platform in mind, you're looking for the "Zoom's" maximum body diameter ?

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5736494 - 03/16/13 03:13 PM

Like Tel, I have mixed feelings regarding barlows. I do have one but apart from when observing the Moon, and in very good seeing, Jupiter and Saturn, it normally stays in the case.

Re the use of a 0.6 focal reducer, I have one on my spare 24mm x 8mm zoom. As Tel has said, it gives lower mags and a wider field. I use it when in areas that have rich star fields i.e the path of the Milky Way across the sky etc, and when looking for and at open clusters and the like. It is really nice on the eye. Fair to say thou, that I don't use it as often as did, as I now have a set of wide angle eyepieces.

When you ask about the diameter of the Baader zoom I assume you mean is it either 1.25" or 2.0". The zoom itself is a 1.5" eyepiece but it is suppied with both 1.25" and 2.0" diameter barrels.

Regards. Peter.

Edited by Peter9 (03/16/13 04:19 PM)

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Peter9]
      #5736519 - 03/16/13 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info! I can now rearrange my amazon wishlist regarding the recommendations. That's where I'm planning on buying everything since my wife has an amazon prime account. Gotta love that free 2 day shipping that comes with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-94123-UHC-LPR-Filter/dp/B00080L42K/ref=wl_it_...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Schmidt-Cassegrains-Telescopes-Except-NexStar...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93503-Vibration-Suppression-Pads/dp/B0000665V...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Telescope-Moon-Filter-94119-A/dp/B00006LSVL/r...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Telescope-Computer-Adapter-Converter/dp/B0006...

These are the other items I also plan on buying with the telescope. Need any info/opinion on them pls. Thanks!

Tel
Postmaster

#5736624 - 03/16/13 04:43 PM

Hi Unidentified130,

You really do seem to know what you want !

However, as I said at the onset, I can only give you my opinion so, if I were you I would welcome that of others before you decide to buy.

Personally, I would initially look at that which might be a more immediate need and would therefore suggest that if your climate demands it, invest in a good dew "zapping" system. There's nothing more frustrating than having your corrector plate and EPs constantly dewing up during an evening's observation session.

True the dew shield or rather the "lens shade", (as Amazon appear to call it from your link), will greatly stave off the ravages of dewing but ultimately it will almost invariably become ineffective in keeping all at bay.

Secondly, and you may well laugh, but it's important to get yourself a suitable viewing chair so that you always have a relaxed posture when viewing and thus put no strain on your body. By this means, I assure you, you will see a lot more !

As to anti-vibration pads, these work very well on wooden decking and concrete. They are significantly less effective should your 'scope be set up on grass or other relatively soft surfaces.

Hoping this helps a little further,

Best regards,
Tel

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
      #5737302 - 03/16/13 09:12 PM

I agree that you need a good chair. Nothing allows you to become immersed in the view quite like a comfortable, well postioned seat.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5737644 - 03/16/13 11:24 PM

Quote:

I agree that you need a good chair. Nothing allows you to become immersed in the view quite like a comfortable, well postioned seat.

+1 on a good observing chair. It was the best investment I made. It made viewing a whole lot more enjoyable.

I got this one.. Observing Chair - Vestil CPRO-600

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: ben2112]
      #5739610 - 03/17/13 09:15 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Rigel-Systems-QuikFinder-Compact-Battery/dp/B006IJECSI/...

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Finderscope-Bracket-High-Point/dp/B006GTC9Y4/ref=...

Finderscope replacement/addition i'm also considering. I would also like to see you guys opinions on these two. Kinda leaning on the raci finderscope for the reason that it will not be affected by the cold temperature since it requires no batteries to use. Are there any modification that needs to be done on the scope for these things to be attached?

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/17/13 09:16 PM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5740215 - 03/18/13 08:22 AM Attachment (3 downloads)

Don't know the quality of the RACI scope.. And it looks like it comes with everything. In the pic, you see the red arrow pointing at the base. That mount is what you would replace on your scope.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: ben2112]
      #5740385 - 03/18/13 10:14 AM

The RACI looks like the one offered by Orion. I own that one and the quality is good, views are sharp, and it's easy to align with the main scope. Also, it's very lightweight so it will not affect scope balance much.

-Dan

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5740406 - 03/18/13 10:26 AM

Thanks for the replies! Really helps with my decision making.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5740977 - 03/18/13 03:36 PM

I believe it's made by the same company as the GSO.

http://agenaastro.com/gso-8x50mm-right-angle-correct-image-finder.html

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5741261 - 03/18/13 05:48 PM

Looking at the reviews, seems like a solid product. Definitely keeping it on my list.

Tel
Postmaster

#5741524 - 03/18/13 07:38 PM

Hi Unidentified130,

Almost any 8x50 RACI finder of reasonable quality will do the job: after all, its major, if not entire use, will be at the alignment stage of any "GoTo" 'scope.

The main issue therefore, that I personally think you should be more seriously considering, is whether, in whatever finder you choose, its adapter dovetail plate is compatible with the fixing points on your 'scope tube !

If however you are happy and assured that those provided here will adapt, then that's OK !

Hoping this helps,

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: Tel]
      #5742543 - 03/19/13 10:03 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-8-24mm-Click/dp/B0045IZDDM/...

I pretty much decided to get this eyepiece. I like the idea of "A one eyepiece to rule them all" concept.

Should I upgrade the diagonal for a better one or is that something that can wait later in the future?

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5742929 - 03/19/13 01:14 PM

Check the specs for FOV of this EP versus other fixed FL pieces. If you're used to the 68 variety then you might not like the narrower view of the zoom at long FL values. However, it is handy as a "one size fits all" item and an improvement over the Celestron 8-24mm.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5742949 - 03/19/13 01:22 PM

The only experience I have with eyepieces are from Sirius plossls.

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepieces/Orion-125-Premium-Te...

If the baader hyperion 8-24m zoom is better than these ones, then It'll be an improvement for me.

butsam

Reged: 12/28/12

Loc: Ohio
      #5742978 - 03/19/13 01:34 PM

Another possible use of the Barlow is for planetary astrophotography. I was able to draw out some extra details of Jupiter (post-processed) using a Barlowed NexImage 5 camera that would not have come through as clearly without the Barlow.

That said, if you don't plan on doing planetary AP, you can skip the Barlow quite easily, as others have said.

I'm not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet, but you might want to consider going with 2" EPs instead for that price. I have no experience using them (on my own scope...although I've looked through other scopes with the 2" EPs), but once I finally do decide on upgrading EPs, I'm strongly leaning that way. I want to get 2-3 of the very wide FOV EPs, at 2" one day...there are some that are 82* FOV!

Edited by butsam (03/19/13 01:39 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3116

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics