Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Unidentified130

Reged: 03/11/13

Loc: Fort Collins, CO
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: butsam]
      #5743036 - 03/19/13 01:58 PM

I haven't bought anything yet. Asking as much questions that I can think of first.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Unidentified130]
      #5744207 - 03/19/13 10:53 PM

I'm mostly set on getting the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, but I need to consider an alternative just in case the eyepiece doesn't go according to plan. This zoom eyepiece caught my attention since it's about $70 cheaper but cant find any reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Deluxe-Telescope-Eyepiece-93232/dp/B006YTQ708...

Someone from astronomyforum.net mentioned that it doesn't have the click stop feature. Anyone familiar with this eyepiece? Used or owns it? Thanks.

Unidentified130

#5745349 - 03/20/13 03:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-07680-Enhanced-Dielectric-Schmidt-Cassegrain/dp/B...

Added this on my list as an upgrade for the diagonal. Any thoughts? Thanks

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5745492 - 03/20/13 03:58 PM

Looks like it's somewhat in the middle between the Baader and the lower priced Celestron. If you buy directly from Adorama, you can get a better price. The lower priced unit is about 1/4 the cost but not much less in the FOV. If you want it to scan around to find the best FL for serious viewing then this one might be the best choice. However, if this will be your main EP then the Baader might be worth the extra cost.

http://www.adorama.com/CNZEPD.html

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5745536 - 03/20/13 04:19 PM

The zoom eyepiece will be the only eyepiece i'm planning on having at least for a long while. The items on my shopping list are pretty much I believe I need right away. Something that will last for years without the need to upgrade every year or so.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5745770 - 03/20/13 05:44 PM

The Baader is probably the best choice in terms of FOV and image quality. Many people on this forum have one and report very good performance.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5746099 - 03/20/13 08:03 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Baader-Planetarium-Hyperion-8-24mm-Click/dp/B0045IZDDM/...

http://www.amazon.com/Meade-07680-Enhanced-Dielectric-Schmidt-Cassegrain/dp/B...

These 2 items are the eyepiece and diagonal combination I'm looking at. The only thing that concerns me is the both items seems to be bulky/heavy. Would that affect how the Nexstar 8SE functions?

ke4kso

Reged: 07/18/10

Loc: Chiefland Fl.
      #5746259 - 03/20/13 08:53 PM

Meade has had that diagonal and a 24mm swa eyepiece on sale I think twice in the last month for 159.95, You may want to watch their weekly deals,also They are coming up pretty often in the classifieds and ebay. http://store.meade.com/weeklydeals

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: ke4kso]
      #5746289 - 03/20/13 09:02 PM

I'll keep an eye out for those deals. Thanks.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5746905 - 03/21/13 05:25 AM

Your 11lb 8SE tube will support about another 11lbs in additional accessory weight without stress which in practice means you can add, for example, an 8X50 finder 'scope, a dew shield, a 2" diagonal and yes, a Baader 8-24mm Zoom EP with impunity.

Try though to maintain the same amount of imbalance, (these tubes require a litle fore or aft weight imbalance in order to place a load on the altitude drive gears).

You will doubtlessly find however, that you need to push the tube further forward than before along the dovetail clamp in order to prevent the 2" diagonal/EP assembly striking the mount base when appproaching the Zenith. Should this cause the altitude axis clutch to slip, you will need to make a slight, (tightening), adjustment to it. You may also be required to retune your antibacklash settings.

Best regards,
Tel

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Tel]
      #5747251 - 03/21/13 10:09 AM

Thanks for the info Tel! One less concern to worry about.

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: ben2112]
      #5752939 - 03/23/13 11:06 PM

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5752951 - 03/23/13 11:12 PM

Quote:

I know the Rigel quickfinder isn't as asthetically pleasing as the RACI, but it is quick and easy to setup and align with the scope. Easier to view through especially if you have neck issues. I use it on the 8SE as well as on a refractor telescope.

How does it perform on cold temps? If you don't mind me asking.

Tel
Postmaster

#5753382 - 03/24/13 08:32 AM

Hi Ud130,

I just though this review might be of some interest to you if you've not already seen it.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?amp;&&item_id=821

Personally I prefer an 8 or 9X50 RACI finder to these reflex types.

Being rotatable within its tube rings or tube holder, the RACI can be placed to give maximum eye comfort and, if at a later date, some guided imaging is undertaken*, they can with a little ingenuity, double up as a guide 'scope for this purpose.

* Equatorially mounted OTA.

I would confess though, that I've only ever used a Telrad once and was not sure what I was looking for, but doesn't one still have to contort one's neck and body to view through these reflex finders, in much the same way as one has to when viewing through the red dot version ?

Best regards,
Tel

Gary Z

Reged: 01/26/12

Loc: New Mexico
      #5754192 - 03/24/13 02:38 PM

I've used it during some cold nights and the battery seems to hold up...in fact the only time the battery has not held up is when I forgot to turn the quick finder off.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: Gary Z]
      #5759089 - 03/26/13 08:26 PM

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-Star...

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

Edited by Unidentified130 (03/26/13 08:30 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5759613 - 03/27/13 06:00 AM

Hi Ud130,

Having learned the hard way that in this hobby there's no single panacea or simple answer to the "Maiden's Prayer", I would advise you not to waste your time and money over trying to create real time viewing on a TV or other, monitor screen. It can of course be done and there are cheap cameras available for the purpose, (see attached), but the image quality will be disappointing.

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/pc/4/58.uts

Thus, if you want to carry out observational astronomy then use an eyepiece. Alternatively, if you want to see more than your eye can ever see in real time, then try your hand at astrophotography, initially perhaps with a simple webcam arrangement to take images of the Moon and major planets; then progressing possibly later to tackle the "Deep Space" stuff !

Of course by all means pursue both lines if you like, but don't "Mix and Match" !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5759694 - 03/27/13 07:59 AM

Quote:

I got this idea.. Instead of getting the Baader Hyperion Zoom eyepiece, would getting a camera like this work?

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Astrophotography-Cameras/Orion-Star...

I got an extra laptop that we don't use that I can hook it up to so I can use it to view and take pictures. Would this setup work?

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

rinalmj
sage

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Saxonburg, PA
Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5759766 - 03/27/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The camera you've picked is a single shot camera not a video camera. What you are trying to do is video-astronomy. Check that forum for ideas on how it's done. I think they use a cheap ~$100 security camera to get decent results.

There was a good article about video astronomy in Sky & Telescope a month or two ago that you might want to check out.

Unidentified130

Re: Purchasing advice for Nexstar 8SE new [Re: rinalmj]
      #5767184 - 03/30/13 05:14 PM

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive quick look/backup tripod mount for the 8SE OTA?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3116

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics