Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1
SACK

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: TX
wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge
      #5727915 - 03/12/13 11:22 AM

Howdy,
For you electrical guru's,I am getting ready to wire up a scope.
On this scope there will be 3 fans, servo cat jr, sky commander powered by 12volt, and secondary mirror heater.
Any advantage to solid over stranded, where there is no movement or flexing needed?
What gauge, I am considering 16gauge or 18gauge for this application. Thanks for sharing!!
Jonathan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stmguy
sage

Reged: 10/11/12

Loc: Western NH
Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: SACK]
      #5728083 - 03/12/13 12:36 PM

I'd use stranded as it is more flexible , have to know the current draw for the gauge

Norm

polaraligned
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/26/08

Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: stmguy]
      #5728249 - 03/12/13 02:06 PM

If there is no flexure, solid is fine. The phone company overhead wires are solid and withstand decades of wind, etc. 16 ga sounds a bit heavy. Sky commander is just a DSC? The 18 ga should be more than enough.

SACK

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: TX
Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: stmguy]
      #5729289 - 03/12/13 11:02 PM

It will be drawing 1.5 to 2 amps max.
Thanks you.

polaraligned
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/26/08

#5732284 - 03/14/13 01:43 PM

Go with the 18 ga. Plenty.
Your concern as the wire gets thinner is the voltage drop. It will act like a resistor between your battery and device. You will be happy with the 18 ga.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5732728 - 03/14/13 06:52 PM

If you are making cables with those RCA connectors, use stranded wire. Solid wire used where connections can experience flexing will fatigue and break. That is why stranded wire and cable only is used to hook up electric motors. Also, if you are making heater strips, don't solder the heater strip to the lead, use butt splices that are crimped on, and cover each conductor with heatshrink tubing, then cover both with another layer of heat shrink. Connections of solid to stranded wire tend to break also. Strip enough of the stranded wire to solder the resistors in a ladder configuration to make your heater strip.

Taras

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: polaraligned]
      #5740234 - 03/18/13 08:36 AM

polaraligned,
Telephone wires don't get that much flex in them & they still break, that's what you see with those overhead splice enclosures.

Jonathan,
Stranded wire if there is any flex in your cabling. More smaller wires allows for more flex without breakage and still be able to carry your current draw.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: Startraffic]
      #5740246 - 03/18/13 08:47 AM

Stranded wiring. The finer the better. There are usually two different strandings. I like the silver plated Teflon coated stuff, but is sucks if you have to buy a bunch. Nobody really uses solid for hook up wire. In fact, it isnot recommended for any application like a fan.

Edited by bremms (03/18/13 08:49 AM)

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5740299 - 03/18/13 09:23 AM

Where in Texas are you? I have A LOT of aircraft-grade wire which I use for any and every electrical project. It is light, unbelievably durable, and highly conductive. Just let me know how much you need and pay for the postage (which should be dirt cheap for a few feet of wire).

obin

don clement
Vendor (Clement Focuser)

Reged: 02/02/11

Loc: Running Springs, California
Re: wiring question for scope? Solid/Stranded/Gauge new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5740644 - 03/18/13 12:45 PM

It depends on how much voltage drop you can tolerate for given current requirement. Considering only steady state conditions (no switching transients e.g. starting motors, switching electromechanical relays, high speed switching circuits like PWM controllers) the IR voltage drop will be current draw times the resistance of the wire. The wire resistance will be rho times wire length divided by area of wire cross-section, where rho is the resistivity of the wire material (typically copper), and the area of the wire cross-section is the wire gage. So the larger the wire gage the lower the resistance. Remember the lower the wire gage number, the larger the wire cross-section. The longer the wires, the more the resistance and the larger the voltage drop.

Also switching transients like starting motors or electromechanical relays can induce voltage spikes in high impedance wires (i.e. small gage, long length wires) which may interfere with sensitive low voltage electronics like CCD cameras. IMO: the larger the wire gage and the shorter the wire length the better. Ferrite beads can help here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

I always use stranded wire for connecting wiring as stranded wire resists bending much better than solid. BTW my personal favorite hook up wire is Teflon insulated stranded silver plated copper conductor.

The bottom line is you will have to try out connecting wire size for your application.

Don Clement

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 580

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics