Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Tab 2 versus Note 2???
      #5730526 - 03/13/13 03:10 PM

My HTC Incredible has done yeomen duty but it's starting to get long in the tooth and the time has come to make a decision.

A friend has the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone. It's quite nice, a 5.7 inch 1280 x720 Super AMOLED display. 1.6 GHz Quadcore with 2GB of ram and 16GB of storage. It's not cheap, when all is said and done, it will cost close to $400.

A Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch Tablet is only about $200. Those of you who have 7 inch Tablets and are running Sky Safari Pro, how is well is it working for you? I am mostly concerned about the size, I want something I can keep in a pocket and have with me at all times. The Note 2 is a nice size in that regard, the 7 inch Tablets seem just a little too big to be handy...

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
D_talley
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Richmond VA
Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5731730 - 03/14/13 07:49 AM

I have the Galaxy Note 2 and would not think about putting Sky Safari Pro on it. I run SSPro on my iPad because it gives me more screen to work with when planning a night session. But that is just me.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: D_talley]
      #5732328 - 03/14/13 02:16 PM

Quote:

I have the Galaxy Note 2 and would not think about putting Sky Safari Pro on it. I run SSPro on my iPad because it gives me more screen to work with when planning a night session. But that is just me.

I have an 8 inch Tablet for that. Out under the sky, I want something that fits in my pocket, that I can have with me right at the eyepiece.

I also hear that the AMOLED screens are blacker...

???

Jon

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5735767 - 03/16/13 09:28 AM

I'd only use my phone with SS in a pinch.. My preference is also that 7" is ideal.. I def need a table but I'm used to that as sometimes use paper/book charts. I have an iPad too but got the 7" android just for skysafari. I haven't seen an amoled but from what I read it is the way to go for charts:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/amoled-vs-lcd-which-screen-is-best-for-yo...

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5735770 - 03/16/13 09:30 AM

ANSI can't WAIT to here how it works in comparison to your backlit LCD. It may not need red film!

Bob Griffiths
Getting Grouchy

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Frederick Maryland
Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5751464 - 03/23/13 09:58 AM

TABLETS :
I have Ipad as well as a 7 inch Kindle Fire (original one) I actually use the kindle much more then the Ipad because I can carry it in my front pocket of my pants ... The ipad is much more versatile (and better) but that does me no good since I normally do not have it handy..

PHONES:
My Contract expires in 8 or 9 days (appropriately on Aprils fools day) and I will be replacing my OLD HTC EVO 4 G ... The Galaxy S3 just feels dirt cheap (PLASTIC) so I have no interest in the new S4 as it is plastic also.....the HTC One is nice ..its aluminum,well built and designed but has no SC card or removable battery..So I'm lost... The Note 2 is a possibility but again plastic and a hair larger then I like a Phone yet smaller then a useful tablet...

I do not use either for astronomy.. I have an old XP desktop in my observatory for that

Oh well...

Bob G

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: Bob Griffiths]
      #5751917 - 03/23/13 01:34 PM

Have you considered one of the Samsung galaxy players ,they have a 4in and a 5in model.. they have a lot of the same features of cell phones without the radios.. under $250.. the only issue i have with them is they have kind been left behind on the Android update front, they still run Gingerbread(2.3.5).. if you're looking for portablity this might be a way to go. Last time i was in a BestBuy they had them in with the MP3 players and what not. Check them out and remember best buy has a GREAT returns policy.. ha ha ha.
Still best bang for the buck is the Nexus7... and portability really isn't that bad... especially for mine.. at an astronomy club public event someone walked right off with it. I'm gonna wait for the next gen Nexus7 to come out in a few months before I replce it.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5752457 - 03/23/13 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the input. The earphone speaker on my Incredible just about gave up the ghost, it was so raspy that I had to use the speaker phone. I took it in to get it fixed and was told it would be $75... I figured why spend $75 when I could get a better phone for $200.

Of course that better phone really cost $550 when all is said and done so I decided to get it fixed... I took it to the guy down the street, he took it apart, cleaned it, that didn't fix it so he took it apart again, put in a new speaker... $20 and 20 minutes.

I looked at the 7 inch Nexus, the 7 inch Tab 2 and decided to go with a 7 inch generic with a 1280 x 800 screen, 1.5 ghz dual core, 1 gb and 8 gb, sdmicro, HDMI... $100 Wy the geeks, a local mail order outfit. It'll be here Monday.

Jon

skysurfer
sage

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: NL, N 52 E 6
      #5755770 - 03/25/13 10:03 AM

Skysafari and Mobile Observatory Pro run fast and flawlessly on my Galaxy Note 2.
I have installed GalacticNight (root required) which makes the screen red for *all* apps so I can use any app with my dark-adapted eyes.
And the size of the Note 2 is just large enough to read and small enough to handle easily and attach with velcro to the scope tube.
I used to have an iPad which was too large and heavy during observing.

Sean Wood

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: North Carolina
      #5756323 - 03/25/13 02:44 PM

Jon,
The only issue I foresee with a generic tab is that a lot of them don't have support or access to the official Google Playstore. To my knowledge that's the only place to be able to get SkySafari. Although you can likely find most of the other popular Apps on either the Amazon market or SlideMe market or some other variant of 3rd party app store.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Tab 2 versus Note 2??? new [Re: Sean Wood]
      #5758376 - 03/26/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

Jon,
The only issue I foresee with a generic tab is that a lot of them don't have support or access to the official Google Playstore. To my knowledge that's the only place to be able to get SkySafari. Although you can likely find most of the other popular Apps on either the Amazon market or SlideMe market or some other variant of 3rd party app store.

Sean:

Thanks for that reminder. I have been looking for a while and was aware of the Playstore access issue.

The one I purchased has Playstore access, seems to be very fast and has a nice display. It also seems to eat up the battery quite quickly. The battery life seems sufficient for astronomy but for serious websurfing, it would be a problem.

Jon

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 968

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics