Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
RIP Tak Sky-90
      #5733491 - 03/15/13 05:33 AM

According to a dealer here in Japan the Takahashi Sky-90 will be discontinued. Time to report about your Sky-90's and why you love or hate them.

best regards
Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Paulimer

Reged: 08/08/03

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: chboss]
      #5733498 - 03/15/13 05:38 AM

My Sky90 has been with me for 10 years.
I bought it second-handed for $750, including the flattener, because its front element was scratched.

It is giving me some old age problems lately.. like black paint inside falling like powder, weird corners on 35mm format, but I still love it.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: Paulimer]
      #5733567 - 03/15/13 07:39 AM

There is only one other piece of equipment that evokes such love-hate reactions so passionatley...Brandon eyepieces! The Sky 90 in its day really was a marvel and its excellent build quality, compact design and sharp optics, while admittedly showing CA, kept up well into the present. However, now there are plenty of less expensive options and even the Asian triplets can surpass this little gem(my TMB 92L showed less coma and less CA than my Sky 90!), so it comes as no surprise it is being dropped. Still, a great scope for visual in my book (loved it), but plenty of others get wrapped up with the color it shows and scoff (hate it)! As with the FS152, I think we all will come to miss it. These scopes had virtues that get overshadowed with "latest" and "greatest" offerings. Ya know, now that it is being discontinued, perhaps there will be some clearance sale. If so, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a new one again at used prices! It is the original "Stowaway"! So, as with Brandons...YMMV!

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: t.r.]
      #5733637 - 03/15/13 08:42 AM

Quote:

It is the original "Stowaway"!

It was introduced after the Stowaway.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: Paul G]
      #5733654 - 03/15/13 08:53 AM

Okay...it is the "Stowaway" wanabee!

chboss
professor emeritus

#5733734 - 03/15/13 09:50 AM

Nice info guys.... keep them coming...

However where are the PICTURES?

best regards
Chris

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5733767 - 03/15/13 10:06 AM

It was an answer to the Stowaway, small and fast. The Stowaways were selling used for up to $10K at the time and the Sky 90 was seen as a replacement. It didn't have the color correction of the Stow but with the Extender Q its color correction matched that of the FS series. There was an extensive review in Tenmon Guide; at one time there was a translation of the review posted on the uncensored Tak group but the author pulled it after someone noted it might violate copyright. If I can find my old copy of Tenmon Guide I'll scan in the review and post a link here. IIRC, Markus Ludes had a copy of the review as well.

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
      #5735386 - 03/16/13 12:31 AM

Will miss the little guy.

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5735921 - 03/16/13 10:35 AM

The Temmon Guide review is in the Uncensored Tak Group > Files > Temmon_Guide > Sky_90_Review.

Sky 90 review

Now THAT is a review, not the puff pieces we see in the US mags.

Edited by Paul G (03/16/13 10:38 AM)

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: waso29]
      #5735941 - 03/16/13 10:46 AM

Quote:

Will miss the little guy.

I won't. I have had a Sky90IINSV with all the major accessories (FF, CAA, ext-Q, 2" adapter, etc) for almost 10 years (serial number in year 2005). It is not going anywhere but outside under the stars and doing solar with my solar filters. While it is NOT an f4.9 Stowaway, it is very close, and is always very happy coming along on vacation in the made-for-it Temba case.

northpole

Reged: 06/28/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #5736304 - 03/16/13 01:31 PM

Mine is not going anywhere either. I love the little guy. Beautifully made, great optics. I also have added the FF and extQ. This scope has come along on 4 eclipse trips. It's very portable in a Lowepro backpack.

Andre

tegea
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/29/04

Loc: France
      #5736645 - 03/16/13 04:56 PM

Quote:

The Temmon Guide review is in the Uncensored Tak Group > Files > Temmon_Guide > Sky_90_Review.

Sky 90 review

Now THAT is a review, not the puff pieces we see in the US mags.

Hummmmm, where can we find a translation of this article ?

I just acquired a used Sky90 a month ago, and I must admit that I felt in love with it !! True that in has a tiny amount of chromatism and some coma compared to the TMB 92, but it is sharper, has a superb contrast and color rendering, and the stars images are textbook ! Great little scope !!

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
      #5737688 - 03/16/13 11:40 PM

No great loss. The only way to buy that scope is used.

Fomalhaut
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/16/08

Loc: Switzerland
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: thesubwaypusher]
      #5738076 - 03/17/13 06:44 AM

Hi Chris,

I had bought one of these for spontaneously gazing at a few objects every once in a while, especially in cold winter temperatures when I normally would be too lazy to set up one of my bigger scopes.
In normal weather, it showed some CA (I wouldn't call this one a real Apo) but almost no SA: A nice little scope indeed.
However, in temperatures falling below 30F its objective lens started to show SA caused by being pinched in its lens cell obviously shrinking at a higher rate than the glass, thus deteriorating optical quality.

Since I had bought the Sky-90 especially for the cold season and due to its very obvious inferiority to my FCT100 (in every observing temperature!) it soon had to go...

As you know I'm very fond of Tak - however, in this case I considered the AP-Stowaway (which I in fact once had the opportunity to observe with) the clearly superior contender!

Chris

chboss
professor emeritus

Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: Fomalhaut]
      #5738221 - 03/17/13 09:02 AM

It is interesting to hear your report about a thermal problem with the lens cell.
Actually your report is not the first time I heard this. I wonder why the Sky-90 behaves differently than say the FS-60 or the FC-76...
May be that the larger size is no suit for the same type of cell design?

best regards
Chris

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5738264 - 03/17/13 09:37 AM

The Sky 90 has a very large air gap compared to other Takahashi doublets.

web page

fetoma
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/26/06

Loc: Southern New Jersey
      #5738295 - 03/17/13 09:52 AM

Quote:

The Sky 90 in its day really was a marvel and its excellent build quality, compact design and sharp optics, while admittedly showing CA, kept up well into the present. However, now there are plenty of less expensive options and even the Asian triplets can surpass this little gem(my TMB 92L showed less coma and less CA than my Sky 90!), so it comes as no surprise it is being dropped. Still, a great scope for visual in my book (loved it), but plenty of others get wrapped up with the color it shows and scoff (hate it)!

I'll have to agree with Tim here. I'd really like to see Takahashi focus on a larger FSQ from an imaging standpoint.

Paul G
Post Laureate

#5738301 - 03/17/13 09:55 AM

IIRC, the Sky 90 I didn't have the pinch problem but didn't hold collimation well. Sky 90 II was introduced in 2003 and had a different cell design that holds collimation well but pinches the optics when cold. It was later redesigned and a different lens fixing glue was used in 2005 to eliminate the pinch problem.

Edited by Paul G (03/17/13 10:00 AM)

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

#5738315 - 03/17/13 10:06 AM

Quote:

IIRC, the Sky 90 I didn't have the pinch problem but didn't hold collimation well. Sky 90 II was introduced in 2003 and had a different cell design that holds collimation well but pinches the optics when cold. It was later redeisgned and a different lens fixing glue was used to eliminate the pinch problem.

A friend and I bought our first ones at the same time in early 2004 and it still had the problem. Both were returned to Takahashi by TNR in late 2004. We received brand new 2005 OTAs in early 2005 which no longer had the cold pinch. It actually showed a 'snowflake' type of distortion in focus which turned to a haxagon the futher one traveled from the focal point.
It is an exceptionally nice little light telescope since the cell problem was fixed.

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: RIP Tak Sky-90 new [Re: Fomalhaut]
      #5739687 - 03/17/13 09:39 PM

Hi Chris,

Yes, I read about those problems. My gripe was very poor wide field performance, despite the relatively enormous price tag. It is well known that the Sky -90 was the weak link in the Takahashi lineup.

Thanks, Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3416

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics