Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Night2Fire
sage

Reged: 05/27/07

CGE Sale Price new
      #5731805 - 03/14/13 08:57 AM

Hey all,
I'm looking to sell my CGE mount with Tripod but some of the offers I got seem low. What would be a good price for a indoor kept CGE with very little use and works Great? I don't really want to get cheated.

Thanks in advance..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: Night2Fire]
      #5731856 - 03/14/13 09:33 AM

Well, it is worth what it will sell for and you won't know that until you put a price out there.

In my opinion, the CGE has a few shortcomings but it is still an excellent mount.

And if it is in excellent shape, I would think that based on the cost of new mounts, it should still bring a reasonable price.

A quick search turned up several recent listings that ranged from about $1600 ("Quick Sale!") to about $2300 (Hypertuned!).

Somewhere between sounds reasonable to me. $1800 to $2000 for sure.

If the mount is super pristine and of recent manufacture (last 3 years), I would lean to the high side.

If it is an older mount (cone shaped rear bearing cap on RA axis housing) maybe at the bottom end of this range ($1800).

If you have any accessories like a Carry Case for the head, I would consider selling that by itself rather than include it.

Be patient. I have sold some things over the years at a bit above going prices, but if it was in excellent condition and something that was not every-day like an eyepiece, it usually sold in time for my asking price.

One day, someone will want a CGE mount and yours will be out there at $100 more than the last one, and they will say "Well, I could wait and maybe find one for $100 less, but gee, Here is one that I can have right now!"

Being a consumer, I know consumers.. Sometimes we feel like a nut, sometimes we don't. And sometimes we will wait for a deal, and other times we won't.

Good luck.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5731911 - 03/14/13 10:07 AM

Eddgie

I sort disagree a little with you as I am right now thinking about plunking down about $2k for a mount. As you know celestron is running sales on the Cgem and Cgem+ for 1300&1750$ respectively. Also we have the ieq45 and the new ieq45 altAz and the eq8 or whatever. Plus we have NEAF in a month. Sure the CGE can do 60lbs and frankly that is the only reason anyone would pay over $1k for it at this point given the better electronics an ergonomic issues of the newer mounts out now. Moreover if Its an older CGE it will need a new HC and the polar alignment issues are a big PITA.

So would I consider an excellent condition CGE? Yea. But first it would have to be local. Then it would need to be in excellent shape and it would have to be cheaper than a brand new Cgem+. So top end for me would be $1500. To be a compelling buy pre NEaF it would have to be less than that. Moreover if celestron comes out with an improved Cgem+ and pushes the weight capacity to 60lbs or so (which I think they are given the recent introduction Of the vx.). Then at a $2k price point and older CGE would be worth even less. And so would older cgems and Cgem DX+

Its a good time to be a buyer in this price segment I think over the next 3 to 6 months. Better products and lower prices

Just my 2c

Al

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #5731978 - 03/14/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

celestron is running sales on the Cgem and Cgem+ for 1300&1750$ respectively. Also we have the ieq45 and the new ieq45 altAz and the eq8 or whatever. Plus we have NEAF in a month. Sure the CGE can do 60lbs and frankly that is the only reason anyone would pay over $1k for it at this point given the better electronics an ergonomic issues of the newer mounts out now.

"Anyone" may be too broad a specification; it doesn't apply to me. I would certainly pay more for a CGE than for any of those econo import mounts you mention even if capacity were not an issue. Performance, precision, and build quality cost money and some folks are willing to pay more for those. Eddgie's price bracket is about right in today's market - and at that price a CGE is a terrific bargain.

corpusse
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5731991 - 03/14/13 10:46 AM

I don't really think stored indoors is a big deal. Most people keep heavy mounts outside. Despite the fact you didn't the buyer probably will.

About 6 months ago I bought a used CGE I paid $1600 cnd it did not come with a tripod (didn't need it anyway). I was desperate for a mount in that price range and did not want to buy another cgem. 60LBS means I can put a 14" on when I'm ready. The mount had great go to's and 20 minute subs were not a problem. Then shortly after the cables started going crazy. It now needs the cable upgrade.

If it has the original cables I think the price should be lower but if it has the upgrade higher should be okay since it's going to work for a long long time. I don't think it was the sellers fault, as it took a little while to experience problems, just one of those things it was a ticking time bomb.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5731998 - 03/14/13 10:48 AM

Ok. Speaking for myself then as a buyer in the marketplace right now... This is how I see it. Spending this much sight unseen I would not do in any case.

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5732012 - 03/14/13 10:55 AM

A newer CGE that has been hypertuned and has the Bennett cable modification would make a reliable mount. I've had two of them. One I had to replace the Dec board, but that's because of the cable problem. With the Bennett mod, you wouldn't have this problem. I consider the CGE a step above the CGEM/CGEM DX. A CGE as above is worth $2000+.

David

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5732031 - 03/14/13 11:03 AM

The problem you'll run into is this. When Celestron discontinued this mount, they dumped a bunch of inventory through one of their resellers, who sold scores of brand new, last-run CGEs for $2600. Folks who bought at that level and resell now, are selling the newest (in production terms) units in the $1600-1800 range, often with Pelican hard cases, ADM knobs and sometimes Gary Bennett cable mods, which kind of caps the used market value of these mounts.

On the other hand, it's a much nicer mount than the newer CGEMs and CGE Pros. It's the last US-made Celestron anything. It's weaknesses are well-known and relatively easily correctable. Nexstar firmware is lightyears ahead of Synscan and whatever iOptron uses, and it has decent capacity. So it's not a bad mount and, in fact, is probably the finest EQ mount Celestron ever produced and will ever produce, which explains why it holds its value a lot better than the problem-prone CGE Pro, for example.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (03/14/13 11:08 AM)

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5732033 - 03/14/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

A newer CGE that has been hypertuned and has the Bennett cable modification would make a reliable mount.

It's worth remembering that the vast majority of CGE mounts out there are in stock condition and work very well. That makes it hard to be sure of the effect on price of those alterations. Personally, I'd pay more for a pristine mount that hadn't been modified (the ones I owned didn't need such things); some might pay more for a modified mount.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
      #5732082 - 03/14/13 11:34 AM

The advise you are getting is all over the place. Like most things, I'd pick a price that I think is fair and list it. A little high if you are not in a rush to sell or a little low if you want to move it quickly. You can always reduce the price if it does not sell fast.

jbalsam
sage

Reged: 07/06/12

Loc: Darnestown, MD
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5732145 - 03/14/13 12:15 PM

I bought mine used off of A-mart. It was hypertuned and in good condition, and I got it (shipping included) for $2,000. It came with two counterweights and in original (numerous) boxes.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5732207 - 03/14/13 12:53 PM

Ed,

I'm with you on all your points except "If it is an older mount (cone shaped rear bearing cap on RA axis housing) maybe at the bottom end of this range ($1800)."

I have one of the late model mounts (late 2008) that Jim mentioned in his post and it has the cone shaped bearing cap. So that on it's own doesn't appear to be an indicator of the age of the mount.

herrindude
sage

Reged: 07/25/10

Loc: Fairhope Alabama
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5732999 - 03/14/13 09:06 PM

I bought a "used one time only" that was three years old for 1900 dollars and have been very pleased. I upgraded the latitude adjuster and did the Gary Bennett mod and have had no problems since. I would happily pay 2000 for another no questions asked. So if you have an opportunity to get one, jump on it, do the upgrades, and enjoy.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: herrindude]
      #5733196 - 03/14/13 10:55 PM

I just sold a CGE mount. I had it listed both here an AM for quite several months. My asking price was $2000.

I received a number of offers of ridiculously low prices. One person thought that $700 was fair. I asked why, and they commented that it sold new for $1500, and as an older mount, they figured their offer.

It was at that point that I realized that people were confusing the mount with a CGEM. I politely explained that the CGE is a much more substantial mount than a CGEM. In the discussion, they told me how they planned to use the mount, and it turned out that a CGEM would work fine for them, so I recommended that they pass on my CGE.

I eventually did sell it for $1900 to someone for whom it will be a good fit.

My advice is to be patient and be polite to all offers. CGEs in good shape should bring at least $1800 from a buyer familiar with them. As seen above, not everyone will pay this. I'd say that someone not willing to go over $1500 is unlikely to end up with one in today's market unless they find a desperate seller.

-Wade

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5733316 - 03/15/13 12:15 AM

Agreed, I think the CGE @ 2000 is a great deal.

It really escapes me why somebody would buy a new non-Gemini G11 for $2100.

Night2Fire
sage

Reged: 05/27/07

Re: CGE Sale Price new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5733540 - 03/15/13 07:02 AM

My mount is coming up to 5 years old and was good to me the few times I used it until last year when I took it out and found out I had a bad motor. I replaced the motor and used it once the past year to really test it. Now it just sits due to me not having time to use it. Thanks all for the info..

dfender

Reged: 04/04/10

Re: CGE Sale Price [Re: Night2Fire]
      #5733738 - 03/15/13 09:52 AM

Hi Sage

So, what have you decided? I am very interested in buying a used CGE. Are you ready to discuss the details yet. I am not in the US right now and will not return until May. thus there is no hurry on my part.

Cheers
Dan

Pages: 1

Extra information
25 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 610

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics