Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade Computerized Telescopes

Pages: 1
MattS

Reged: 02/24/13

Calling all LX90 ACF Owners!
      #5733986 - 03/15/13 12:00 PM

Calling all LX90 ACF owners

This scope (the 8" version) features high on my shortlist as a potential replacement for my ETX90.

Can any of you confirm what the build quality of the drive train is like on the latest ACF models; specifically are the gears plastic (nylon?) and do they suffer from the same amount of backlash and slop that the ETX series does? What are your experiences when drive training and when tracking objects, GOTOs etc?

In other threads I've asked owners to compare this scope to the LS equivalent, as the latter scope has a metal gear train, albeit on a single fork arm (which wobbles a bit when focusing but is otherwise very solid).

Thanks in advance, Matt S

(I posted a similar thread in the astronomyforum.net site)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
pk759

Reged: 07/30/10

Loc: Below Rigel
Re: Calling all LX90 ACF Owners! new [Re: MattS]
      #5734426 - 03/15/13 04:11 PM

I have the 8" lX90 ACF. I can't tell you about the gears or compare to ETX or LS scopes since I have never used one. I can tell tell you I am very happy with the scope. I bought it new about 4 years ago. The original software had a tracking problem but I was able to upgrade and have not had a problem since. I'm not at home know so I can't tell you what the upgrade version is.

Most of the time the Go-to and tracking is accurate. If I see it starting to slip I go through the train drive and calibrate sensors routine and everthing works great again. This is a simple process (5 minutes)that I probably should do each time I set up, but I'm usually anxious to start seeing things. I usually go 3 or 4 sessions before I notice any problems

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 506

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics