Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
psu_13
sage

Reged: 05/30/10

CG-5 Keypad Problem new
      #5733588 - 03/15/13 08:04 AM

I have a CG-5 that's a couple of years old that I only use occasionally now since I got a newer and shinier mount.

Anyway, I set it up last night to do some quick comet hunting and to my chagrin I can't make the Enter key on the keypad respond to presses. I assume this sort of thing must have happened to others. Short of just replacing the keypad what's the easiest thing to try to fix this?

The mount has been stored in the garage for the last year so it's always cold, and it gets used once every few months at the most. So I guess I should remember to exercise the keypad once in a while in the future.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: CG-5 Keypad Problem new [Re: psu_13]
      #5734097 - 03/15/13 12:59 PM

Quote:

I have a CG-5 that's a couple of years old that I only use occasionally now since I got a newer and shinier mount.
Anyway, I set it up last night to do some quick comet hunting and to my chagrin I can't make the Enter key on the keypad respond to presses. I assume this sort of thing must have happened to others. Short of just replacing the keypad what's the easiest thing to try to fix this?
The mount has been stored in the garage for the last year so it's always cold, and it gets used once every few months at the most. So I guess I should remember to exercise the keypad once in a while in the future.

This kit from Scopestuff worked wonders on several of my Meade Autostar controllers. Should do the trick, if you're comfortable taking your controller apart to do the repair.

FaronD
sage

Reged: 03/25/10

Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario
Re: CG-5 Keypad Problem [Re: psu_13]
      #5734127 - 03/15/13 01:15 PM

I had the same issue years ago with my Meade HC. I used a product similar to what Dave mentioned and it was better than ever afterwards. It replaces the graphite contacts on the rubber keys. It's very simple to do. You can also try building up a layer with a pencil but it isn't nearly as effective. Check your local electronics store, you may find something similar for less.

Faron

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 285

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics