Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: KevH]
      #5736893 - 03/16/13 06:47 PM

You may want to play with the auto calibrated RA and DEC values. I find that the auto set may be a bit too aggressive if you do a good job of training the PE. I am using a production mount now and the RAW PE is around 6 arc seconds. Starlock training of the PE is not quite as good as PEMPro because its just an average, PEMPro does a Fourier analysis. After generating the values watch a star in focus mode with your camera and back off if it over corrects. I am using 10% for both RA and DEC which means I have a very good polar alignment and Starlock isn't having to do much work since the drive is running so well.

Not all mounts coming off the line will be that good but no matter, with training you can get to around 5 arc seconds which is no problem for Starlock guiding.

Give us some feedback on the auto polar alignment, I didn't do much testing there, I generally use PEMPro for that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5738417 - 03/17/13 11:20 AM

Quote:

You may want to play with the auto calibrated RA and DEC values. I find that the auto set may be a bit too aggressive if you do a good job of training the PE. I am using a production mount now and the RAW PE is around 6 arc seconds. Starlock training of the PE is not quite as good as PEMPro because its just an average, PEMPro does a Fourier analysis. After generating the values watch a star in focus mode with your camera and back off if it over corrects. I am using 10% for both RA and DEC which means I have a very good polar alignment and Starlock isn't having to do much work since the drive is running so well.

Not all mounts coming off the line will be that good but no matter, with training you can get to around 5 arc seconds which is no problem for Starlock guiding.

Give us some feedback on the auto polar alignment, I didn't do much testing there, I generally use PEMPro for that.

Ok where do I start.

As a beta tester you haven't tested those things? You are coming right out and saying that the built in drift alignment, Starlock assisted PEC training and auto rate calibration routine are not good enough for you? What is the whole point of this mount again?

Also you seem to imply that Meade has sent you a good mount and that everyone else shouldn't expect to get near 6as native uncorrected PE?

Interesting. I have no doubt that Meade would make sure to hook you up with a choice mount and OTA. That just makes sense. However I can't help but wonder what the others here *recieved* received.

*fixed it for you*

Edited by Pak (03/17/13 01:43 PM)

Pak

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: mmalik]
      #5738444 - 03/17/13 11:53 AM

Quote:

Reads like "Meade"...

While I don't think that this is a Meade employee trying to pass themselves off as a genuine end user, it does however read like someone who has a special relationship with Meade (beta tester) and wrote out this mini-review and got a thumbs up from Meade to post it. Obviously I am in no position to know either way but I kinda agree here. This seems to be a dual purpose first light report.

Also while everyone has to post for the first time for some reason or another, seems suspicious that this users has only two posts on CN and both in this thread. Just sayin'..

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: Pak]
      #5738481 - 03/17/13 12:11 PM

Pak,

Are you trolling for a reason? Please stop. Some of are trying to learn about a new mount.

Pak

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: Raginar]
      #5738507 - 03/17/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

Pak,

Are you trolling for a reason? Please stop. Some of are trying to learn about a new mount.

Not trolling just providing a reality check. Before someone pays money for the honor of lacing up their Nike's and drinking the cool aid, I think a little caution is in order.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5738561 - 03/17/13 12:55 PM

Quote:

Not trolling just providing a reality check. Before someone pays money for the honor of lacing up their Nike's [ sic ] and drinking the cool aid [ sic ], I think a little caution is in order.

If I had the intense curiosity you display about a piece of gear I'd either spend a lot of time reading posts about it or go ahead and acquire one to find out for myself. Merely talking about a mount you've never used isn't going to increase knowledge about it, neither yours nor that of anyone else.

In fact, it turns out that I am quite curious about this mount so I've been reading lost of posts, and have ordered one. That seems to be a more productive use of my time and resources.

You aren't in a position to presume to have knowledge regarding what shoes I wear or what beverages I consume so I'd prefer that you be silent on those issues, too.

p.s. The plural of "Nike" does not have an apostrophe in it.

p.p.s. The correct spelling of "Kool-Aid" is Kool-Aid.

Pak

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5738606 - 03/17/13 01:21 PM

So if I am curious about something I should just buy it and see for myself? That is an interesting philosophy.

I have been reading quite a bit about the mount since the LX800 was announced. I am still waiting for something that convinces me either way.

I suppose $5,999.00 is nothing to you. Must be nice to be able to buy one to see if it will work out for you or not.

Thank you for correcting my spelling and punctuation. For someone this uptight about someones word usage and analogous choices, you don't seem to be very picky about where you spend your money.

Good luck.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5738616 - 03/17/13 01:25 PM

"Not all mounts coming off the line will be that good but no matter, with training you can get to around 5 arc seconds which is no problem for Starlock guiding."

Does give me pause. I would like to know what is to be expected as normal for this mount. My spelling and grammar is bad and I know it, so no need to correct it as it makes you look as snarky as Pak.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5738622 - 03/17/13 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thank you for correcting my spelling and punctuation.

You also misspelled "received" in post #5738417. You spelled it "recieved." Please try to remember, "i" before "e", except after "c" unless pronounced as an "a" as in neighbor and weigh."

Pak

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5738632 - 03/17/13 01:37 PM

Come on people.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5738687 - 03/17/13 02:07 PM

Sad to see a thread reduced to pointing out incorrect spelling and grammar. I think both sides have a valid point and while the delivery of those points could be made in a more productive way I don't think attacking each other and virtual high fives is the way to go.

Lets please get back on topic.

This was an interesting write up on the LX850 and 12" OTA. I wouldn't mind hearing some experiences with the visual aspects of this new F/8 OTA. I am sure it will be a while before anyone could provide apples to apples comparisons between the RCX F/8 line. We also need to get one of these up against a 14" EdgeHD for visual. Yes I know that most people will not buy these OTA's for visual, however I think that once in a while I might be in the mood to put my eye to an eyepiece.

Edit:

And yes I've had the 12" for a few months but honestly I have yet to look through it except with a target eyepiece for alignment. I was spending 99% of my time putting the mount through more than its fair share of tests and staying up to 2-3am every night (when I had clear skies). Hopefully my experiences and reports to Meade has led to a superior product that we all can be proud to own. Not having a production mount I am just as curious as others to hear back from others.

Now it is boxed up while I wait for my 14" to ship. *shakes fist at Tony*

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (03/17/13 02:12 PM)

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: ngc2264]
      #5738732 - 03/17/13 02:24 PM

ngc2264 ,
Could you post some full frame shots with no processing done?

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: TxStars]
      #5738990 - 03/17/13 04:00 PM

Yes, I have a 5DMII that I can use to take the frames. I must admit, not very accomplished at astrophotography with the 5DMII, but, am with the camera itself.

Please provide exposure times and settings that you would like to see.

Tony

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #5739283 - 03/17/13 06:06 PM

Quote:

Come on people.

My only question is why are you concerned about other member's decisions? Meade hasn't sent out an armed assassin to potential mount owners and forced them to spend their 6K on their mount. I imagine that someone spending that kind of money has more than likely read through the myriad posts about Meade's mounts. If, after their research, they decide that they want the 850, it's THEIR CHOICE.

Do you go through every section and warn members about buying scopes or cameras that you find questionable or are you fixated on this particular piece of equipment? You may not see it this way, but you have some sort of obsession with this mount and it's not in a positive way. I think I speak for many here that grow weary of your overly repeated screed warning us that when the 850 shows up that it will self destruct once the instructions are read. We get your point. After all, you've stated it enough.

David

Pak

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #5739389 - 03/17/13 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Come on people.

My only question is why are you concerned about other member's decisions? Meade hasn't sent out an armed assassin to potential mount owners and forced them to spend their 6K on their mount. I imagine that someone spending that kind of money has more than likely read through the myriad posts about Meade's mounts. If, after their research, they decide that they want the 850, it's THEIR CHOICE.

Do you go through every section and warn members about buying scopes or cameras that you find questionable or are you fixated on this particular piece of equipment? You may not see it this way, but you have some sort of obsession with this mount and it's not in a positive way. I think I speak for many here that grow weary of your overly repeated screed warning us that when the 850 shows up that it will self destruct once the instructions are read. We get your point. After all, you've stated it enough.

David

I am fixated on this mount because this mount is on my short list of considerations and I wasn't around during the teething phase of the Losmandy Gemini 2 which had just as much heated discussion. Nor was I around when the Meade RCX had its issues. I also believe the Celestron CGE-PRO had plenty of problems when it was first released.

Do you really not get it or are you just being obtuse? I have given no warnings that the LX850 will have problems. I don't know or understand why there is a repeated attempt to put words into my mouth. Please quote me where I claimed the LX850 is a piece of junk and will fall apart or cease to function.

What the heck is wrong with you people? Meade released a mount that LITERALLY fell apart. The Starlock, which was the whole point of the mount, DID NOT FUNCTION. They had to recall the whole thing. Now, because of a few posts by Jason, and a new member who registers to write a glowing review, everyone is lining up to defend Meade. Jason, who is a beta tester, who admits he didn't test some things and asks for people to report on it. Jason, who is a beta tester, who uses PEMPRO to get things set up instead of the built in functions that are a PART OF Meade's marketing on this product.

You know what? I'll go on about my business then You guys can throw your money at Meade if you want. Don't wait another second. Click that order button now! I'll get back to you in six months. Lets see how things went.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: LX850 12" new [Re: ahopp]
      #5739471 - 03/17/13 07:29 PM

I would like to see some full frame 3-5min exposures from the 12" to show stars across the field. The same from the 14" would be good too.

ahopp
sage

Re: LX850 12" new [Re: TxStars]
      #5739798 - 03/17/13 10:22 PM

OK, what ISO would you like. Also, would you prefer a DSO or a star field?

Tony

frozen.kryo

Reged: 01/28/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: LX850 12" [Re: ahopp]
      #5739832 - 03/17/13 11:27 PM

I vote for starfield, uncalibrated and unprocessed. Guided by starlock of course.

If anyone is brave enough to open up their mounts, I'd like a shot of the motors/worm block as well.

ahopp
sage

Re: LX850 12" [Re: frozen.kryo]
      #5740172 - 03/18/13 07:16 AM

Starlock guided star field got it.

Tony

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: LX850 12" [Re: Pak]
      #5740336 - 03/18/13 09:50 AM

Quote:

You know what? I'll go on about my business then You guys can throw your money at Meade if you want.

Well...after all of the typing, you finally figured it out.

David

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3687

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics