Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Matt Wallin

Reged: 01/29/12

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: DIY dewshield tips anyone? What have you used? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5734710 - 03/15/13 07:03 PM

Danny, looks good,what material did you use on your shield? Also, it looks like you have about 2 diameters there for length, I imagine that has been pretty effective, has anyone had dewing problems with slightly shorter ones, say about 1.5 diameters long?

Edited by Matt Wallin (03/15/13 07:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
1Old Timer
journeyman

Reged: 01/13/13

Loc: Loveland, CO
Re: DIY dewshield tips anyone? What have you used? new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5734746 - 03/15/13 07:23 PM

"DEW" What is DEW? Here in Colorado we have "Mountain Dew". Dew is rarely a problem as our humidity here on the Front Range is seldom above 20%. It does form occasionally, especially on my finders and eyepieces. My scopes are reflectors so primary and secondary mirrors are somewhat protected. The main problem here is not having stable air for good seeing due to the close proximity to the 10-14,000 foot mountains we have. Good seeing comes around 1:00AM when the atmosphere finally settles down over the mountains that are West of me. The cold air in the mountains flows down hill mixing with the warmer air where I am thus making for lots of turbulence. DEW does occur when the humidity is around 20-30%. It's not uncommon for the temp. here to drop 20 or so deg F after sunset, summer or winter.

For eyepieces, I cover the one that I'm using in the focuser with an large old pill container. For the eyepieces I'm not using, I just put a Hothands handwarmer in my eyepiece case thus keeping them warmer than the ambient dewpoint. Works for me. I have occasionally taped one to the main tube opening while I'm waiting for the scope to thermally stabilize.

Maybe this should be posted somewhere else as it doesn't provide much information on setups for dew prevention. Sorry!

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: DIY dewshield tips anyone? What have you used? [Re: Matt Wallin]
      #5734766 - 03/15/13 07:35 PM

kydex, its 12in long, left over stock from a uta I was building. But its overlapping the entire cell so it's really only 7in passed the glass.

txairman

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: DIY dewshield tips anyone? What have you used? new [Re: Matt Wallin]
      #5739719 - 03/17/13 09:51 PM

I used craft foam sheet of black color and velcro strips. It made professionally looking dew shields with good flocking and excellent portability. For transporting I just roll them out and pack in the OTA box flat.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1215

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics