Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: dr.m]
      #5738997 - 03/17/13 04:04 PM

4" Rings from Scopestuff will work. That it what I use.
Barry

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dr.m

Reged: 03/08/12

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: bherv]
      #5739060 - 03/17/13 04:35 PM

Thanks Barry.

Dave

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
      #5739406 - 03/17/13 06:56 PM

This deal sounds interesting, I may get it as a grab and go.
What it is made of? Specifically, tube and the focuser?
What is the weight of it?

Alex

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: avarakin]
      #5739511 - 03/17/13 07:47 PM

Alex, it weights about 6-7 pounds maybe. Cheap Synta focuser (nothing special) but works pretty good. Scope is made of aluminum.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5739574 - 03/17/13 08:24 PM

Pat, is the focuser plastic or metal?

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: avarakin]
      #5740360 - 03/18/13 10:05 AM

Alex, I am pretty sure it's metal. I will check tonight after work.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5740470 - 03/18/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

I think I asked this question once before and was told it was metal. Looking at the one I saw, I believe it is metal. The typical Synta rack and pinion focuser is workable but problematic, managing to be sloppy and stiff at the same time.

I have reworked a number of them and with a little effort, they can be made into a tight, surprisingly smooth focuser that handles heavy eyepieces without slipping..

Jon

Jay_Bird
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: USA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5740571 - 03/18/13 12:02 PM

Wow, I thought that the $119 bare tube price was a good value. Half that is a good chance to get a lot of telescope. That's the trouble with timing close-outs vs. missing out entirely, oh well.

The 102 GT OTA is 102mm f/9.8, with a pretty good Synta focuser that won't need much work to match the one on my old Nighthawk 80mm. The tube is aluminum and Orion rings will also work.

The main cost compromises seem to be

1) the plastic objective cell and rather short dew shield, something easily corrected with a home-made extension. Some care in trasnport should avoid figuring how to recollimate...

2) the very short Vixen size dovetail bolted to the side of the OTA, which only balances 1.25-inch accessories. A longer dovertail (better yet rings and longer dovetail) are needed to balance 2-inch diagonal and larger eyepieces without adding weight at objective.

With a set of Orion tube rings and the stubby dovetail removed, this OTA solved the 'what to do with a sturdy old GEM' question for me; the pier-mounted GEM is too tall for easy Newtonian use and a little too light for a C-8. The Nexstar 102 will now stay on the old-school TAL mount, which has slo-mo controls to help make use of higher magnification with easy tracking in R.A..

The 102 GT shows slightly less color and more detail on the Moon and Jupiter than the very well made 80mm f/6 NightHawk achromat; a mild CA filter helps the 80mm a lot at 100x and more, but I haven't had time to try on the 102 yet and might not need it for any object except Jupiter. With cooldown a 6" Newt and C-8 show more than the C-102, as you'd expect.

This basic refractor seems to do just what a 4" achromat should. At the latest 1/2 sale price you can more easily budget for rings and longer dovetail.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Jay_Bird]
      #5743289 - 03/19/13 03:48 PM

Five left with the 2" diagonal as of now.

The most recent price cut did me in. Resistance is futile.

Tom

Terry Fowler

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Apple Valley, CA
      #5743584 - 03/19/13 05:54 PM

I picked mine up at OPT on Friday. It has a side-mounted dovetail so I just put it sideways on my AltAz mount that came with a Celestron AstroMaster 70mm. For rings, it has a 4" diameter and an outer circumference of 12.5".

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5743609 - 03/19/13 06:00 PM

I picked one of these up yesterday at the OPT store. Jay Bird's comments are spot-on. The only thing I would add is that you have to be some kind of orangoutang to use this scope on a Vixen Porta II mount (i.e. the tube is so long that you need orangoutang-like arms to reach the slow-motion controls and when the scope is pointed to the zenith you'll be sitting on the ground).

However, last night I did some quick looks at the moon under very hazy and cloudy skies and the image quality looked fairly good (I purchased the $75, OPT 45-degree erecting diagonal bundle). I plan on using the diagonal for daylight terrestrial observing, even on my other refractors as it seems to be of completely satisfactory quality (all metal construction, optically -- for daylight use -- it seems okay).

Getting back to the scope, you also need to be careful about the grease on the focuser, it's been applied generously to the rack-and-pinion and has the consistency of slightly warm, very sticky tar. Also, as has been noted, the Vixen bar is side mounted so you won't be able to horizontally orient the focuser knobs if your saddle plate is on a GEM or a standard alt-azm mount (but, it's fine on the Porta II). Also, since the focuser is attached by three screws (at 120 degree intervals) you can't reorient the focuser to move the Vixen bar to the "bottom" of the tube (unless you want to drill new holes).

In any case, I plan on using this as my "knock-around" scope, during bad weather, or as kind of a standard candle to compare to other equipment (let's face it, given its low price anything else you buy should test out to be of equal or better optical quality). For the money, this is a good buy (IMO).

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Terry Fowler]
      #5743610 - 03/19/13 06:00 PM

Thanks, Terry! And welcome to CloudyNights!

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5743618 - 03/19/13 06:04 PM

rtomw77,
How do you know how many are left?
I ordered just the scope yesterday and it shows pending processing, when do you think I'll get a ship notice?
I did get a thankyou for your order email.

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: labmand]
      #5743672 - 03/19/13 06:33 PM

When I was at OPT on late Monday they said they had purchased several hundred of these from Celestron (the entire inventory). Of course, I don't know how many they have sold and how many they are selling per day but as of yesterday they seemed to have quite a few left.

I guess they could limit the availability based upon what bundle you order. The bare optical tube comes in its own box and in my case the bundled diagonal was separate (OPT brand).

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: james7ca]
      #5743935 - 03/19/13 08:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for information on this scope. Based on it, I decided to pull a trigger even though I am mostly reflector guy. This should be a better scope in my refractor stable, others are Meade DS90 and DS2090, both with plastic focusers.
Now I need to figure out what to mount it on: 1000mm is a pretty long tube. Also it would be interesting to try it for narrowband imaging.

Alex

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: avarakin]
      #5744094 - 03/19/13 09:56 PM

Thanks James7ca, I did get a tracking # today

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: labmand]
      #5744326 - 03/20/13 01:30 AM

labmand

When I called I asked the salesperson to check to see if any with the 2" diagonal were left. She said they had six in stock before I placed my order. I did not ask about the other options or their numbers.

Tom

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5744786 - 03/20/13 10:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think I asked this question once before and was told it was metal. Looking at the one I saw, I believe it is metal. The typical Synta rack and pinion focuser is workable but problematic, managing to be sloppy and stiff at the same time.

I have reworked a number of them and with a little effort, they can be made into a tight, surprisingly smooth focuser that handles heavy eyepieces without slipping..

Jon

I checked mine and it is indeed metal.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: PatHolland]
      #5744800 - 03/20/13 10:13 AM

What happens when the little dovetail comes off? Are there loose nuts on the inside of the OTA?

-Rich

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: Starhawk]
      #5744820 - 03/20/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

What happens when the little dovetail comes off? Are there loose nuts on the inside of the OTA?

-Rich

Well, you take the focuser off and reach inside of the tube and hold the nut with your fingers and tighten the screw. Done it before with another scope!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
38 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3320

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics