Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5744877 - 03/20/13 11:04 AM

Thanks Tom
Quote:

labmand

When I called I asked the salesperson to check to see if any with the 2" diagonal were left. She said they had six in stock before I placed my order. I did not ask about the other options or their numbers.

Tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cliffy54
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/10

Loc: ma
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: labmand]
      #5745178 - 03/20/13 01:44 PM

I noticed that if you buy a Vixen SXD Sphinx mount you get a 102GT/2" diagonal with it.

Edited by cliffy54 (03/20/13 01:49 PM)

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #5745205 - 03/20/13 01:57 PM

I bought the OTA only, no diagonal. It'll (hopefully!) be a lower color version of the 100mm f/6 I already have. OK, and for $60 I couldn't resist!

I received mine yesterday and unboxed it today. The f/6 is an Orion/Synta so I figured the Celestron would use the same tube diameter and so it does. Immediately replaced the focuser with my GSO 10:1 Crayford from the f/6, though the stock one is quite smooth— better than the same one that came originally with the f/6 about 8 yrs ago. Syntaglue hasn't changed much through the years... The OTA doesn't feel much heavier than the f/6 though the longer tube will be a bit less stable but with an Orion Skyview Pro that won't be a problem.

Once difference from my old f/6 when looking down the tube is that the objective is only multicoated on the inside side, the outside is MgF-only. No big deal but fully multicoated would have been nice. Another is that the internal baffles (there are 3) vignette the full 2" on the edges of the widest EPs. Looking down the OTA through the 2" diagonal from the edges of the objective, the clear aperture through the other end of the shape of a cat' eye. I took a pic but haven't uploaded it yet. In the old f/6 under the same circumstances, it stays circular all the way to the edge. Not a big deal as it'll only affect the widest TFOV EPs and I already have a vignetted OTA (SCT) and it's simply not a big deal visually.

The dovetail is not even close enough to the rear of the scope to balance with 2" EPs so tube rings are a must, luckily I already have mine from the f/6.

I'll try to post with some actual views compared to the f/6 soon but I hopefully others will get to it even before I do here on the left cost.

Oh, one more thing... my 4" solar filter doesn't fit as the dew shield is significantly wider (though shorter!) on this scope. Boo!

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Lew Zealand]
      #5745683 - 03/20/13 05:13 PM

I tried to find 4" rings at the Scopestuff's site (and a dovetail) but I couldn't. What am I doing wrong?!

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: belgrade]
      #5745870 - 03/20/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I tried to find 4" rings at the Scopestuff's site (and a dovetail) but I couldn't. What am I doing wrong?!

Here you go.
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rings.htm

David

eolian

Reged: 08/30/05

#5745879 - 03/20/13 06:26 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else wish they had the time too buy 2 of these with the 2" diagonals and make a giant set of bino`s?
Oh and dont forget the dual 48mm brandons! whata platform that would be.

Edited by eolian (03/20/13 06:30 PM)

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: eolian]
      #5746263 - 03/20/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else wish they had the time too buy 2 of these with the 2" diagonals and make a giant set of bino`s?
Oh and dont forget the dual 48mm brandons! whata platform that would be.

Nahh, too long, though at this price it's tempting. Rather, I'd like 2x the Orion/Synta 120mm f/5 (or a second 100mm f/6 to match my current one) but getting the IP distance to work sounds like a bear. I'd love to try, though!

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Widespread]
      #5746383 - 03/20/13 09:53 PM

Thank you very much, David!

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

#5746900 - 03/21/13 05:14 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

Okay, there were some breaks in the clouds tonight and I was able to take some quick shots with my new Celestron 102GT f/9.8 refractor (the one currently on sale at OPT). Caveats are many, seeing conditions seemed okay but were variable given the cloud cover, I had problems focusing being that the optical tube was mounted on my Vixen Porta II Alt-Az (okay for visual use, but not the most stable platform for high resolution astrophotography), and I didn't take time to allow thermal equilibrium. Basically, your mileage may vary and I'm certain this isn't the best this scope can do.

The shots were taken using a Tele Vue 2X Powermate so the effective focal length was 2000mm at f/20. These pictures are of tonight's first quarter moon and are straight out of the camera, only having gone through the conversion from RAW to JPEG and being reduced in size or cropped to meet the Cloudy Night posting quidelines.

The first image is a slight crop from the full field and reduced from the original 16 megapixels to 800x546.

james7ca
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: james7ca]
      #5746903 - 03/21/13 05:20 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Continuing, the following image is just off to the right of the crater Copernicus (note the craterlet chain), it's a 1:1 pixel-scale crop from the above full-field image (an 800x800 crop from the original 16 megapixel image).

Once again, I'm sure this isn't the best that the 102GT scope can do and these images haven't been enhanced in any way (no sharpening, no contrast or gamma adjustments, no color correction, no noise reduction, etc.).

The capture camera was a Sony NEX-5N, 1/25 second exposure at ISO 200.

james7ca
sage

#5746922 - 03/21/13 06:09 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

And lastly, here is a capture with the 102GT where I used a Baader Fringe Killer filter and did some post processing (color correction and RGB layer align, sharpen, levels, curves, denoise). This is a 1:1 pixel-scale crop from the original 16 megapixel image taken with a 2X Powermate giving an approximate 2000mm focal length at f/20. The crater Tycho is toward the bottom and the straight wall is at the top (this is a section of the southern highlands on the first quarter moon).

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5747344 - 03/21/13 11:06 AM

This makes me wonder what the Celestron Costco special will be this year.

On my other question- if you take the dovetail off, are there nuts inside the tube, or is it threaded?

-Rich

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5747572 - 03/21/13 12:54 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

This makes me wonder what the Celestron Costco special will be this year.

On my other question- if you take the dovetail off, are there nuts inside the tube, or is it threaded?

-Rich

-Rich

There are no nuts inside the tube, it is threaded. Thank goodness because you can't reach in with your hand because there is a baffle that is to small to put your hand through!

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Locoman]
      #5748042 - 03/21/13 05:07 PM

Does anyone know the weight of the 102GT.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: cliffy54]
      #5748842 - 03/22/13 12:07 AM

Just by the feel of it, I'd say 7 pounds approximately. That's with no accessories though. Should work well on virtually any mount.

james7ca
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: cliffy54]
      #5749147 - 03/22/13 07:32 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

On a bathroom scale when subtracting my body weight the bare optical tube comes out to around six pounds (it's light). Note, however, that the tube is fairly long so that may be more of a issue that the simple weight of the scope.

Here is a shot of the moon I took on Thursday night using my new 102GT. I took a bit more care with this shot than my earlier posts. This has been processed in Photoshop - sharpened, levels, curves, color balance, crop, size reduction, etc. It was taken with the aid of a Tele Vue 2X Powermate and a Baader Fringe Killer filter.

One issue, the focuser seems to hold weight fairly well (doesn't slip), but the focuser draw tube will tilt slightly downward within the focuser housing given the full weight of the Powermate and camera. This tilt means I'm not getting a plane-parallel field, focus probably varies from the top to the bottom of the full field (the below image is a crop from around the center of the image and may not show much effect from any tilt of the draw tube).

This photo is centered on Mare Imbrium. The crater Plato is near the top while the crater Copernicus is located just beyond the bottom of the frame.

cliffy54
professor emeritus

#5749162 - 03/22/13 07:52 AM

Thanks for the answers on the weight. I ordered one with a 2" diagonal because of the price. Just couldn't resist and it's on the brown truck to be delivered today.

Bill Friend

Reged: 02/16/12

Loc: Maine
      #5749234 - 03/22/13 08:57 AM

Fantastic shot James!

labmand
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Bill Friend]
      #5757100 - 03/25/13 10:01 PM

All I can say is WOW! just received it, got to be the deal of the century. This thing is awesome, the build quility
is far far beyond what I expected, Slaped it on my SLT mount and put it thru the paces, seams to work great, the SLT is rated at 8 lbs I think, so hope I'm nut pushing it
not sure of OTA weight, the xlt is 9.5 lbs and my shipping weight was 10 lbs so I'm hoping you guys 6 or 7 lbs is correct, Have not tried the bath scales yet. Now if I can get some clear skies........

labmand
sage

#5762634 - 03/28/13 03:59 PM

Clear skies last night and I was not disappointed.
The 102mm performed fine on the SLT mount and what
I could view looked very good, there was the moon
problem last night but overall very happy with the
deal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3387

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics