Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
siriusandthepup
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Central Texas, USA
Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale
      #5734841 - 03/15/13 08:10 PM

OOO - Who needs a Celestron 102mm NexStar GT Optical Tube?

OPT Telescopes just sent me flyer for their sale.

$59.95

OPT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #5734943 - 03/15/13 08:51 PM

That's a real good deal for a decent scope.

Ebyl

Reged: 07/04/12

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5735087 - 03/15/13 10:04 PM

They've got a nice little "welcome to the new site" sale going on. Great deal on those scopes.

Interestingly, I happened to be poking around the new site earlier this morning and noticed they supposedly had Omni XLT 102ED's in stock. I know, discontinued, etc.

I tossed one in the cart and ordered it just to see. When I checked back an hour later, the scope's page showed wait list instead of in stock and my order was processing. I figured it was just an error and that they didn't really have any, but my order shipped this evening.

I may have gotten pretty lucky with that. Considering they mentioned factory closeout or something like that regarding the 102 GT's, I'm wondering if Celestron located a few remaining 102ED's at the same time. Who knows.

No idea if any more will pop up, but it might be worth keeping any eye on the 102ED page just in case if anyone is interested.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Ebyl]
      #5735163 - 03/15/13 10:35 PM

I like OPT a lot...but beware the shipping prices though. Seems to me, whenever OPT has a sale, their shipping prices go up. When the sale is over, shipping prices come back down to earth.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5735590 - 03/16/13 06:54 AM

Quote:

I like OPT a lot...but beware the shipping prices though. Seems to me, whenever OPT has a sale, their shipping prices go up. When the sale is over, shipping prices come back down to earth.

Quite the allegation.. Do you have documentation of this?
OPT in my experience has never been sneaky or deceptive about the shipping costs.

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend the 102GT Celestron F/10 Achromat. It is currently my most massive scope, and the largest refractor that I am likely to be owning for some time.

I have had fabulous views of Saturn in mine over the past few nights, (hindered by a murky light fog layer tonight though unfortunately) which I would say rival the best views of Saturn that I have obtained so far in my Skywatcher (also Synta made) 130mm F/5 reflector (which I really truly love btw, and which seem to for the most part come with very nice mirrors from the factory, from everything I have read and have personally seen.. so that's somewhat saying something I suppose, that they give each other a run for the money!)

(edit: just recalled, that Skywatcher Newt OTA was from one of OPT's clearance sales for about 70$ if I am remembering right. If I did not already have my 102GT that came w/ NexStar GT goto mount for about 175$ out the door from the Christmas Costco sale, then I would totally pounce on this sale.)

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/10

Loc: ma
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5735610 - 03/16/13 07:33 AM

I just put the 102GT in my cart at OPT, $22 for shipping from west coast to east coast via UPS ground sounds reasonable to me.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5735827 - 03/16/13 09:58 AM

I stand corrected. In December, OPT was running a sale which included the Meade LX600's (which are still not released yet). I called to order one. The shipping was $165.00. (I changed my order after a while to an Atik 460EX). With the shipping, OPT was just $40.00 less than anyone else pre-ordering the same scope. I just put one in my cart on their web site last night and the shipping is now $461.32 - no sale going on.
BTW, I do order a lot from OPT. I do like them and they are really good to me, just thought their shipping was high - especially on items that most other vendors do not charge shipping on.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5735905 - 03/16/13 10:31 AM

Post deleted by PatHolland

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

#5735913 - 03/16/13 10:33 AM

Of worthy note...I do own a Celestron GT102 and absolutely love it. I use it with my Lunt B1200 CAK module for solar imaging but it is also a great scope for just about anything else as well. Here's an image I took back in December with the GT102 and the Lunt module...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5735932 - 03/16/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

Of worthy note...I do own a Celestron GT102 and absolutely love it. I use it with my Lunt B1200 CAK module for solar imaging but it is also a great scope for just about anything else as well.

I recently inspected a GT102. It appeared be a real bargain, a great value but as a scope, it seemed to suffer the same issues as most Synta achromats. For example, the focuser seemed to suffer the typical sloppy and stiff symptoms that ail every Synta rack and pinion focus I have seen. It seems like it has the makings of a good scope.

That said, the version with the 2 inch diagonal is tempting, $80 for a 4 inch F/10 with a basic 2 inch diagonal with a 1.25 inch- 2 inch adapter.. I could just drive up there and save myself the shipping.

Jon

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5736038 - 03/16/13 11:25 AM

Try as I may, I cannot seem to upload any images at this time, either with IE or Firefox, so the image will have to wait. Every time I try, it just duplicates the post....with no image.
The GT102 version I have included the 2" diagonal. CA isn't bad at all (F/10 seems to help this out). The focuser on mine is a bit stiff but not excessively so. I use it mainly for solar imaging and it excels at that. The images in CAK are even better than my ES102mm APO provided (again, F/10 seems to be the sweet spot for solar calcium imaging).

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
      #5736088 - 03/16/13 11:46 AM

I am a little annoyed. I bought one last month for $113 shipped from OPT. Now it is about $80 shipped.
Barry

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: bherv]
      #5736926 - 03/16/13 07:04 PM

Why are you annoyed Barry? It's a close-out item now. When I bought mine, it was $250.00 (albeit with the mount, which I have never used). I will probably sell it (the mount) soon.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

#5737048 - 03/16/13 07:51 PM

Not really because I still got a great deal on it anyway. Just didn't expect the price to drop again.
Barry

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5737846 - 03/17/13 12:56 AM

Get a Photobucket account. Save images to you computer. Upload them to your Photobucket album. Then copy and paste the HTML image code from Photobucket, provided/generate automatically on the right hand side of the image when viewed in Photobucket.

Photobucket is free.

Example of a Photobucket image embedded in a post:

From Photobucket I cut and pasted the "IMG code" option.

Good luck!

- Jim

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5738048 - 03/17/13 05:55 AM

Er, what's this about shipping? I just ordered this 5 minutes ago and got free shipping from OPT.

I really can't justify buying the scope, since I just bought a 90 mm F7 apochromat ($$) about a month ago.

However, I was interested in getting a 45° erect-image diagonal for terrestrial viewing. They go for $50 new.

So, for $75, I got a 102 mm F10 achromat with a 45° correct image diagonal. Who could resist this scope at $25?

I have my 90mm on my SLT mount. The 102mm will ride on my Porta II and wood tripod for quick peeks and terrestrial viewing. I figure I can also put my 2" SV diagonal on it for fairly wide views.

David

Edited by Widespread (03/17/13 06:06 AM)

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Widespread]
      #5738463 - 03/17/13 12:04 PM

That's great news David! I know you'll like the GT102.
I remember when I ordered my Hutech IDAS (about 2 ounces) from them (2011) when it was on sale...conducted the order on the phone but still had to pay $15.00 shipping. I thought this was kind of excessive, so sometime later, out of curiosity I went to their website and added the filter to my shopping cart and had the web site calculate shipping, and it was about $7.00. Another experience is when I ordered an Orion OAG that was on sale (about 12 ounces - total) and paid $18 shipping (this order was on the web - Orion charges $9 shipping for the same item). I guess we all have different experiences with the vendors. I have complained openly to OPT salespeople when I call to order something to try and get the shipping down. I am a regular customer with them. However; I am starting to think I should not say anything about this - obviously my experiences are different from many of yours.

Widespread
professor emeritus

#5738524 - 03/17/13 12:34 PM

Ah, I see. I read that bit after I had ordered, and wondered if others were having to pay.

I told my wife I bought a diagonal for terrestrial viewing. She asked how much. I told her $75. She said, "OK".

So then I said, by the way, it comes with a telescope.

Cheers,
David

dr.m

Reged: 03/08/12

#5738844 - 03/17/13 03:07 PM

Just wanted to thankyou, I order one. I have been thinking about putting something together for the neighborhood kids and there parents hopefully, that I would not have to worry about and this fills the bill.It will be worth it if I can just one more person interested . Anyway thanks again.

Dave

dr.m

#5738981 - 03/17/13 03:56 PM

I just have one question, what size rings are needed for this scope?
thanks again

Dave

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: dr.m]
      #5738997 - 03/17/13 04:04 PM

4" Rings from Scopestuff will work. That it what I use.
Barry

dr.m

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: bherv]
      #5739060 - 03/17/13 04:35 PM

Thanks Barry.

Dave

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/13/09

Loc: Parsippany NJ, USA
      #5739406 - 03/17/13 06:56 PM

This deal sounds interesting, I may get it as a grab and go.
What it is made of? Specifically, tube and the focuser?
What is the weight of it?

Alex

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: avarakin]
      #5739511 - 03/17/13 07:47 PM

Alex, it weights about 6-7 pounds maybe. Cheap Synta focuser (nothing special) but works pretty good. Scope is made of aluminum.

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

#5739574 - 03/17/13 08:24 PM

Pat, is the focuser plastic or metal?

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

#5740360 - 03/18/13 10:05 AM

Alex, I am pretty sure it's metal. I will check tonight after work.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5740470 - 03/18/13 11:04 AM

Quote:

I think I asked this question once before and was told it was metal. Looking at the one I saw, I believe it is metal. The typical Synta rack and pinion focuser is workable but problematic, managing to be sloppy and stiff at the same time.

I have reworked a number of them and with a little effort, they can be made into a tight, surprisingly smooth focuser that handles heavy eyepieces without slipping..

Jon

Jay_Bird
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: USA
      #5740571 - 03/18/13 12:02 PM

Wow, I thought that the $119 bare tube price was a good value. Half that is a good chance to get a lot of telescope. That's the trouble with timing close-outs vs. missing out entirely, oh well.

The 102 GT OTA is 102mm f/9.8, with a pretty good Synta focuser that won't need much work to match the one on my old Nighthawk 80mm. The tube is aluminum and Orion rings will also work.

The main cost compromises seem to be

1) the plastic objective cell and rather short dew shield, something easily corrected with a home-made extension. Some care in trasnport should avoid figuring how to recollimate...

2) the very short Vixen size dovetail bolted to the side of the OTA, which only balances 1.25-inch accessories. A longer dovertail (better yet rings and longer dovetail) are needed to balance 2-inch diagonal and larger eyepieces without adding weight at objective.

With a set of Orion tube rings and the stubby dovetail removed, this OTA solved the 'what to do with a sturdy old GEM' question for me; the pier-mounted GEM is too tall for easy Newtonian use and a little too light for a C-8. The Nexstar 102 will now stay on the old-school TAL mount, which has slo-mo controls to help make use of higher magnification with easy tracking in R.A..

The 102 GT shows slightly less color and more detail on the Moon and Jupiter than the very well made 80mm f/6 NightHawk achromat; a mild CA filter helps the 80mm a lot at 100x and more, but I haven't had time to try on the 102 yet and might not need it for any object except Jupiter. With cooldown a 6" Newt and C-8 show more than the C-102, as you'd expect.

This basic refractor seems to do just what a 4" achromat should. At the latest 1/2 sale price you can more easily budget for rings and longer dovetail.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Jay_Bird]
      #5743289 - 03/19/13 03:48 PM

Five left with the 2" diagonal as of now.

The most recent price cut did me in. Resistance is futile.

Tom

Terry Fowler

Reged: 12/16/12

Loc: Apple Valley, CA
      #5743584 - 03/19/13 05:54 PM

I picked mine up at OPT on Friday. It has a side-mounted dovetail so I just put it sideways on my AltAz mount that came with a Celestron AstroMaster 70mm. For rings, it has a 4" diameter and an outer circumference of 12.5".

james7ca
sage

Reged: 05/21/11

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5743609 - 03/19/13 06:00 PM

I picked one of these up yesterday at the OPT store. Jay Bird's comments are spot-on. The only thing I would add is that you have to be some kind of orangoutang to use this scope on a Vixen Porta II mount (i.e. the tube is so long that you need orangoutang-like arms to reach the slow-motion controls and when the scope is pointed to the zenith you'll be sitting on the ground).

However, last night I did some quick looks at the moon under very hazy and cloudy skies and the image quality looked fairly good (I purchased the $75, OPT 45-degree erecting diagonal bundle). I plan on using the diagonal for daylight terrestrial observing, even on my other refractors as it seems to be of completely satisfactory quality (all metal construction, optically -- for daylight use -- it seems okay).

Getting back to the scope, you also need to be careful about the grease on the focuser, it's been applied generously to the rack-and-pinion and has the consistency of slightly warm, very sticky tar. Also, as has been noted, the Vixen bar is side mounted so you won't be able to horizontally orient the focuser knobs if your saddle plate is on a GEM or a standard alt-azm mount (but, it's fine on the Porta II). Also, since the focuser is attached by three screws (at 120 degree intervals) you can't reorient the focuser to move the Vixen bar to the "bottom" of the tube (unless you want to drill new holes).

In any case, I plan on using this as my "knock-around" scope, during bad weather, or as kind of a standard candle to compare to other equipment (let's face it, given its low price anything else you buy should test out to be of equal or better optical quality). For the money, this is a good buy (IMO).

ScottAz
Fleet Navigator

Reged: 02/06/05

Loc: Kenosha, Wisconsin
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Terry Fowler]
      #5743610 - 03/19/13 06:00 PM

Thanks, Terry! And welcome to CloudyNights!

labmand
sage

Reged: 02/08/11

Loc: Michigan USA
      #5743618 - 03/19/13 06:04 PM

rtomw77,
How do you know how many are left?
I ordered just the scope yesterday and it shows pending processing, when do you think I'll get a ship notice?
I did get a thankyou for your order email.

james7ca
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: labmand]
      #5743672 - 03/19/13 06:33 PM

When I was at OPT on late Monday they said they had purchased several hundred of these from Celestron (the entire inventory). Of course, I don't know how many they have sold and how many they are selling per day but as of yesterday they seemed to have quite a few left.

I guess they could limit the availability based upon what bundle you order. The bare optical tube comes in its own box and in my case the bundled diagonal was separate (OPT brand).

avarakin
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: james7ca]
      #5743935 - 03/19/13 08:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for information on this scope. Based on it, I decided to pull a trigger even though I am mostly reflector guy. This should be a better scope in my refractor stable, others are Meade DS90 and DS2090, both with plastic focusers.
Now I need to figure out what to mount it on: 1000mm is a pretty long tube. Also it would be interesting to try it for narrowband imaging.

Alex

labmand
sage

#5744094 - 03/19/13 09:56 PM

Thanks James7ca, I did get a tracking # today

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

#5744326 - 03/20/13 01:30 AM

labmand

When I called I asked the salesperson to check to see if any with the 2" diagonal were left. She said they had six in stock before I placed my order. I did not ask about the other options or their numbers.

Tom

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

#5744786 - 03/20/13 10:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think I asked this question once before and was told it was metal. Looking at the one I saw, I believe it is metal. The typical Synta rack and pinion focuser is workable but problematic, managing to be sloppy and stiff at the same time.

I have reworked a number of them and with a little effort, they can be made into a tight, surprisingly smooth focuser that handles heavy eyepieces without slipping..

Jon

I checked mine and it is indeed metal.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5744800 - 03/20/13 10:13 AM

What happens when the little dovetail comes off? Are there loose nuts on the inside of the OTA?

-Rich

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5744820 - 03/20/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

What happens when the little dovetail comes off? Are there loose nuts on the inside of the OTA?

-Rich

Well, you take the focuser off and reach inside of the tube and hold the nut with your fingers and tighten the screw. Done it before with another scope!

labmand
sage

#5744877 - 03/20/13 11:04 AM

Thanks Tom
Quote:

labmand

When I called I asked the salesperson to check to see if any with the 2" diagonal were left. She said they had six in stock before I placed my order. I did not ask about the other options or their numbers.

Tom

cliffy54
professor emeritus

#5745178 - 03/20/13 01:44 PM

I noticed that if you buy a Vixen SXD Sphinx mount you get a 102GT/2" diagonal with it.

Edited by cliffy54 (03/20/13 01:49 PM)

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
      #5745205 - 03/20/13 01:57 PM

I bought the OTA only, no diagonal. It'll (hopefully!) be a lower color version of the 100mm f/6 I already have. OK, and for $60 I couldn't resist!

I received mine yesterday and unboxed it today. The f/6 is an Orion/Synta so I figured the Celestron would use the same tube diameter and so it does. Immediately replaced the focuser with my GSO 10:1 Crayford from the f/6, though the stock one is quite smooth— better than the same one that came originally with the f/6 about 8 yrs ago. Syntaglue hasn't changed much through the years... The OTA doesn't feel much heavier than the f/6 though the longer tube will be a bit less stable but with an Orion Skyview Pro that won't be a problem.

Once difference from my old f/6 when looking down the tube is that the objective is only multicoated on the inside side, the outside is MgF-only. No big deal but fully multicoated would have been nice. Another is that the internal baffles (there are 3) vignette the full 2" on the edges of the widest EPs. Looking down the OTA through the 2" diagonal from the edges of the objective, the clear aperture through the other end of the shape of a cat' eye. I took a pic but haven't uploaded it yet. In the old f/6 under the same circumstances, it stays circular all the way to the edge. Not a big deal as it'll only affect the widest TFOV EPs and I already have a vignetted OTA (SCT) and it's simply not a big deal visually.

The dovetail is not even close enough to the rear of the scope to balance with 2" EPs so tube rings are a must, luckily I already have mine from the f/6.

I'll try to post with some actual views compared to the f/6 soon but I hopefully others will get to it even before I do here on the left cost.

Oh, one more thing... my 4" solar filter doesn't fit as the dew shield is significantly wider (though shorter!) on this scope. Boo!

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Lew Zealand]
      #5745683 - 03/20/13 05:13 PM

I tried to find 4" rings at the Scopestuff's site (and a dovetail) but I couldn't. What am I doing wrong?!

Widespread
professor emeritus

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: belgrade]
      #5745870 - 03/20/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I tried to find 4" rings at the Scopestuff's site (and a dovetail) but I couldn't. What am I doing wrong?!

Here you go.
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rings.htm

David

eolian

Reged: 08/30/05

#5745879 - 03/20/13 06:26 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else wish they had the time too buy 2 of these with the 2" diagonals and make a giant set of bino`s?
Oh and dont forget the dual 48mm brandons! whata platform that would be.

Edited by eolian (03/20/13 06:30 PM)

Lew Zealand
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Pasadena, CA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: eolian]
      #5746263 - 03/20/13 08:55 PM

Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else wish they had the time too buy 2 of these with the 2" diagonals and make a giant set of bino`s?
Oh and dont forget the dual 48mm brandons! whata platform that would be.

Nahh, too long, though at this price it's tempting. Rather, I'd like 2x the Orion/Synta 120mm f/5 (or a second 100mm f/6 to match my current one) but getting the IP distance to work sounds like a bear. I'd love to try, though!

belgrade
sage

Reged: 10/05/07

Loc: Frisco, TX
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Widespread]
      #5746383 - 03/20/13 09:53 PM

Thank you very much, David!

james7ca
sage

#5746900 - 03/21/13 05:14 AM Attachment (41 downloads)

Okay, there were some breaks in the clouds tonight and I was able to take some quick shots with my new Celestron 102GT f/9.8 refractor (the one currently on sale at OPT). Caveats are many, seeing conditions seemed okay but were variable given the cloud cover, I had problems focusing being that the optical tube was mounted on my Vixen Porta II Alt-Az (okay for visual use, but not the most stable platform for high resolution astrophotography), and I didn't take time to allow thermal equilibrium. Basically, your mileage may vary and I'm certain this isn't the best this scope can do.

The shots were taken using a Tele Vue 2X Powermate so the effective focal length was 2000mm at f/20. These pictures are of tonight's first quarter moon and are straight out of the camera, only having gone through the conversion from RAW to JPEG and being reduced in size or cropped to meet the Cloudy Night posting quidelines.

The first image is a slight crop from the full field and reduced from the original 16 megapixels to 800x546.

james7ca
sage

#5746903 - 03/21/13 05:20 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Continuing, the following image is just off to the right of the crater Copernicus (note the craterlet chain), it's a 1:1 pixel-scale crop from the above full-field image (an 800x800 crop from the original 16 megapixel image).

Once again, I'm sure this isn't the best that the 102GT scope can do and these images haven't been enhanced in any way (no sharpening, no contrast or gamma adjustments, no color correction, no noise reduction, etc.).

The capture camera was a Sony NEX-5N, 1/25 second exposure at ISO 200.

james7ca
sage

#5746922 - 03/21/13 06:09 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

And lastly, here is a capture with the 102GT where I used a Baader Fringe Killer filter and did some post processing (color correction and RGB layer align, sharpen, levels, curves, denoise). This is a 1:1 pixel-scale crop from the original 16 megapixel image taken with a 2X Powermate giving an approximate 2000mm focal length at f/20. The crater Tycho is toward the bottom and the straight wall is at the top (this is a section of the southern highlands on the first quarter moon).

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #5747344 - 03/21/13 11:06 AM

This makes me wonder what the Celestron Costco special will be this year.

On my other question- if you take the dovetail off, are there nuts inside the tube, or is it threaded?

-Rich

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5747572 - 03/21/13 12:54 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Quote:

This makes me wonder what the Celestron Costco special will be this year.

On my other question- if you take the dovetail off, are there nuts inside the tube, or is it threaded?

-Rich

-Rich

There are no nuts inside the tube, it is threaded. Thank goodness because you can't reach in with your hand because there is a baffle that is to small to put your hand through!

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Locoman]
      #5748042 - 03/21/13 05:07 PM

Does anyone know the weight of the 102GT.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: cliffy54]
      #5748842 - 03/22/13 12:07 AM

Just by the feel of it, I'd say 7 pounds approximately. That's with no accessories though. Should work well on virtually any mount.

james7ca
sage

#5749147 - 03/22/13 07:32 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

On a bathroom scale when subtracting my body weight the bare optical tube comes out to around six pounds (it's light). Note, however, that the tube is fairly long so that may be more of a issue that the simple weight of the scope.

Here is a shot of the moon I took on Thursday night using my new 102GT. I took a bit more care with this shot than my earlier posts. This has been processed in Photoshop - sharpened, levels, curves, color balance, crop, size reduction, etc. It was taken with the aid of a Tele Vue 2X Powermate and a Baader Fringe Killer filter.

One issue, the focuser seems to hold weight fairly well (doesn't slip), but the focuser draw tube will tilt slightly downward within the focuser housing given the full weight of the Powermate and camera. This tilt means I'm not getting a plane-parallel field, focus probably varies from the top to the bottom of the full field (the below image is a crop from around the center of the image and may not show much effect from any tilt of the draw tube).

This photo is centered on Mare Imbrium. The crater Plato is near the top while the crater Copernicus is located just beyond the bottom of the frame.

cliffy54
professor emeritus

#5749162 - 03/22/13 07:52 AM

Thanks for the answers on the weight. I ordered one with a 2" diagonal because of the price. Just couldn't resist and it's on the brown truck to be delivered today.

Bill Friend

Reged: 02/16/12

Loc: Maine
      #5749234 - 03/22/13 08:57 AM

Fantastic shot James!

labmand
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Bill Friend]
      #5757100 - 03/25/13 10:01 PM

All I can say is WOW! just received it, got to be the deal of the century. This thing is awesome, the build quility
is far far beyond what I expected, Slaped it on my SLT mount and put it thru the paces, seams to work great, the SLT is rated at 8 lbs I think, so hope I'm nut pushing it
not sure of OTA weight, the xlt is 9.5 lbs and my shipping weight was 10 lbs so I'm hoping you guys 6 or 7 lbs is correct, Have not tried the bath scales yet. Now if I can get some clear skies........

labmand
sage

#5762634 - 03/28/13 03:59 PM

Clear skies last night and I was not disappointed.
The 102mm performed fine on the SLT mount and what
I could view looked very good, there was the moon
problem last night but overall very happy with the
deal.

cliffy54
professor emeritus

#5762945 - 03/28/13 06:46 PM

There's a Nexstar 102GT for sale in the classifieds for $160.00, tube alone $100.00 and it's not in very good condition. I wonder if he knows.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #5763559 - 03/29/13 02:25 AM

some say that if you have a digital micrometer, you can line up the thinnest part of one of the lenses with the thicker part of the other. I didn't have one and went the old fashioned way.

I kept the flint stationary inside the tube while gently loosening the screw on part of the plastic cell. This really sticks the first time you loosen it so be prepared for the lenses to jump out at you. The lenses should not be have this tightened down so hard anyways as it will pinch the outside of the optic. Afterwards I tilt the tube down to let just the crown pop out. I wear rubber gloves to cut down on fingerprints. I marked the crown with a perminent marker for reference(12 o'clock position.) Then since you have astigmatism at your current spot, rotate about one hour on the clock face. Then you retest. Repeat, retest, repeat retest, etc. When you find your sweet spot, which might take a while, you keep it there. Next time you remove both lenses for cleaning, you want to mark the flint where it lines up with the line on the crown.

I hope this makes sense. If not I am around the boards a lot.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5763560 - 03/29/13 02:26 AM

doh wrong thread!

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca , CA
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5763569 - 03/29/13 02:36 AM

Is there a link for the $59.95 price? The one on the first page does not work. On their website they have it listed for $119.95.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rlmxracer]
      #5763683 - 03/29/13 05:50 AM

The OPT site first page sale link stopped working for me yesterday.

Tom

cliffy54
professor emeritus

#5763704 - 03/29/13 06:11 AM

I think the sale is over. If you click telescopes by manufacture, Celestron, you'll see that they are back to their regular price.

Congrats to those who picked one up at the sale price.

rlmxracer
sage

Reged: 11/09/11

Loc: Motocross Mecca , CA
      #5764159 - 03/29/13 10:38 AM

see what happens when you don't visit CN in a week.

labmand
sage

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: rlmxracer]
      #5764312 - 03/29/13 11:25 AM

I think it's worth the full price, but I'm having
trbl with the links on their web site also. Might
want to givem a call.
one of the lucky ones

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

#5765436 - 03/29/13 06:03 PM

still a good scope for just 120

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3379

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics