Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Show your Comet Hunting Gear! new [Re: Cary]
      #5735534 - 03/16/13 04:56 AM

Quote:

Since we've been clouded out all but one day so far this has been my primary comet hunting gear.

This definitely makes me think of the phrase, "It came, we saw, we drank!"

..Rock solid cloud cover tonight in Sacramento, again!!

...Ralph

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: Show your Comet Hunting Gear! [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5735543 - 03/16/13 05:13 AM

Quote:

Howdy Ralph.

I'm going to christen my comet hunting setup this weekend (and take some pictures).

It's an Astrotelescopes 152mm f/5.9 achromat with an 8x50 GSO RACI finder on a DSV-3 alt-az mount equipped with Sky Commander DSCs. I figure it'll provide a similar experience to your 150mm f/5 achro shown in the first picture. I've nicknamed the scope "Leslie".

I need to dig through my S&T archive. I seem to recall a "how to comet hunt" article back in the early-ish 80s. I'll let you know when I bag my first new comet.

- Jim

Leslie should be an excellent scope for just about everything. I considered that scope myself when I was looking for a 6" wide field scope, but in my case, I was looking for the largest widefield refractor I could mount on my Vixen GP-DX mount, which has a weight capacity of 22 pounds. Your Astro Telescope just tips the scale at slightly more than that. My Celestron tips the sale at 16 pounds, and is extremely manageable on my Vixen mount. When used for hunting for PannStarr, this was the first time I ever used it on my Big Bogen Tripod which is rated at 46 pounds I think and is about 9 feet tall, more height than I'd ever plan to use.

Good luck with comet hunting this weekend. I'm hoping for some clear skies myself. Id like to try out my new Oberwerk binoculars, which as of tonight, I just managed to fix a major quality issue I had with them, as noted in the Binocular section of this forum under the title "Fix for 25x100 wobbly center bar"

...Ralph

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: Show your Comet Hunting Gear! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #5735805 - 03/16/13 09:49 AM

For those of you who may not know, there is a "comet hunters" discussion group at "groups.yahoo.com".

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1305

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics