Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
siriusandthepup
sage

Reged: 02/14/06

Loc: Central Texas, USA
Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new
      #5734841 - 03/15/13 08:10 PM

OOO - Who needs a Celestron 102mm NexStar GT Optical Tube?

OPT Telescopes just sent me flyer for their sale.

$59.95

OPT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #5734943 - 03/15/13 08:51 PM

That's a real good deal for a decent scope.

Ebyl

Reged: 07/04/12

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: zjc26138]
      #5735087 - 03/15/13 10:04 PM

They've got a nice little "welcome to the new site" sale going on. Great deal on those scopes.

Interestingly, I happened to be poking around the new site earlier this morning and noticed they supposedly had Omni XLT 102ED's in stock. I know, discontinued, etc.

I tossed one in the cart and ordered it just to see. When I checked back an hour later, the scope's page showed wait list instead of in stock and my order was processing. I figured it was just an error and that they didn't really have any, but my order shipped this evening.

I may have gotten pretty lucky with that. Considering they mentioned factory closeout or something like that regarding the 102 GT's, I'm wondering if Celestron located a few remaining 102ED's at the same time. Who knows.

No idea if any more will pop up, but it might be worth keeping any eye on the 102ED page just in case if anyone is interested.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Ebyl]
      #5735163 - 03/15/13 10:35 PM

I like OPT a lot...but beware the shipping prices though. Seems to me, whenever OPT has a sale, their shipping prices go up. When the sale is over, shipping prices come back down to earth.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5735590 - 03/16/13 06:54 AM

Quote:

I like OPT a lot...but beware the shipping prices though. Seems to me, whenever OPT has a sale, their shipping prices go up. When the sale is over, shipping prices come back down to earth.

Quite the allegation.. Do you have documentation of this?
OPT in my experience has never been sneaky or deceptive about the shipping costs.

Also, I wholeheartedly recommend the 102GT Celestron F/10 Achromat. It is currently my most massive scope, and the largest refractor that I am likely to be owning for some time.

I have had fabulous views of Saturn in mine over the past few nights, (hindered by a murky light fog layer tonight though unfortunately) which I would say rival the best views of Saturn that I have obtained so far in my Skywatcher (also Synta made) 130mm F/5 reflector (which I really truly love btw, and which seem to for the most part come with very nice mirrors from the factory, from everything I have read and have personally seen.. so that's somewhat saying something I suppose, that they give each other a run for the money!)

(edit: just recalled, that Skywatcher Newt OTA was from one of OPT's clearance sales for about 70$ if I am remembering right. If I did not already have my 102GT that came w/ NexStar GT goto mount for about 175$ out the door from the Christmas Costco sale, then I would totally pounce on this sale.)

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/10

Loc: ma
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5735610 - 03/16/13 07:33 AM

I just put the 102GT in my cart at OPT, $22 for shipping from west coast to east coast via UPS ground sounds reasonable to me.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5735827 - 03/16/13 09:58 AM

I stand corrected. In December, OPT was running a sale which included the Meade LX600's (which are still not released yet). I called to order one. The shipping was $165.00. (I changed my order after a while to an Atik 460EX). With the shipping, OPT was just $40.00 less than anyone else pre-ordering the same scope. I just put one in my cart on their web site last night and the shipping is now $461.32 - no sale going on.
BTW, I do order a lot from OPT. I do like them and they are really good to me, just thought their shipping was high - especially on items that most other vendors do not charge shipping on.

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale *DELETED* *DELETED* new [Re: PatHolland]
      #5735905 - 03/16/13 10:31 AM

Post deleted by PatHolland

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

#5735913 - 03/16/13 10:33 AM

Of worthy note...I do own a Celestron GT102 and absolutely love it. I use it with my Lunt B1200 CAK module for solar imaging but it is also a great scope for just about anything else as well. Here's an image I took back in December with the GT102 and the Lunt module...

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5735932 - 03/16/13 10:41 AM

Quote:

Of worthy note...I do own a Celestron GT102 and absolutely love it. I use it with my Lunt B1200 CAK module for solar imaging but it is also a great scope for just about anything else as well.

I recently inspected a GT102. It appeared be a real bargain, a great value but as a scope, it seemed to suffer the same issues as most Synta achromats. For example, the focuser seemed to suffer the typical sloppy and stiff symptoms that ail every Synta rack and pinion focus I have seen. It seems like it has the makings of a good scope.

That said, the version with the 2 inch diagonal is tempting, $80 for a 4 inch F/10 with a basic 2 inch diagonal with a 1.25 inch- 2 inch adapter.. I could just drive up there and save myself the shipping.

Jon

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5736038 - 03/16/13 11:25 AM

Try as I may, I cannot seem to upload any images at this time, either with IE or Firefox, so the image will have to wait. Every time I try, it just duplicates the post....with no image.
The GT102 version I have included the 2" diagonal. CA isn't bad at all (F/10 seems to help this out). The focuser on mine is a bit stiff but not excessively so. I use it mainly for solar imaging and it excels at that. The images in CAK are even better than my ES102mm APO provided (again, F/10 seems to be the sweet spot for solar calcium imaging).

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
      #5736088 - 03/16/13 11:46 AM

I am a little annoyed. I bought one last month for $113 shipped from OPT. Now it is about $80 shipped.
Barry

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale new [Re: bherv]
      #5736926 - 03/16/13 07:04 PM

Why are you annoyed Barry? It's a close-out item now. When I bought mine, it was $250.00 (albeit with the mount, which I have never used). I will probably sell it (the mount) soon.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: PatHolland]
      #5737048 - 03/16/13 07:51 PM

Not really because I still got a great deal on it anyway. Just didn't expect the price to drop again.
Barry

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5737846 - 03/17/13 12:56 AM

Get a Photobucket account. Save images to you computer. Upload them to your Photobucket album. Then copy and paste the HTML image code from Photobucket, provided/generate automatically on the right hand side of the image when viewed in Photobucket.

Photobucket is free.

Example of a Photobucket image embedded in a post:

From Photobucket I cut and pasted the "IMG code" option.

Good luck!

- Jim

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5738048 - 03/17/13 05:55 AM

Er, what's this about shipping? I just ordered this 5 minutes ago and got free shipping from OPT.

I really can't justify buying the scope, since I just bought a 90 mm F7 apochromat ($$) about a month ago.

However, I was interested in getting a 45° erect-image diagonal for terrestrial viewing. They go for $50 new.

So, for $75, I got a 102 mm F10 achromat with a 45° correct image diagonal. Who could resist this scope at $25?

I have my 90mm on my SLT mount. The 102mm will ride on my Porta II and wood tripod for quick peeks and terrestrial viewing. I figure I can also put my 2" SV diagonal on it for fairly wide views.

David

Edited by Widespread (03/17/13 06:06 AM)

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: Widespread]
      #5738463 - 03/17/13 12:04 PM

That's great news David! I know you'll like the GT102.
I remember when I ordered my Hutech IDAS (about 2 ounces) from them (2011) when it was on sale...conducted the order on the phone but still had to pay $15.00 shipping. I thought this was kind of excessive, so sometime later, out of curiosity I went to their website and added the filter to my shopping cart and had the web site calculate shipping, and it was about $7.00. Another experience is when I ordered an Orion OAG that was on sale (about 12 ounces - total) and paid $18 shipping (this order was on the web - Orion charges $9 shipping for the same item). I guess we all have different experiences with the vendors. I have complained openly to OPT salespeople when I call to order something to try and get the shipping down. I am a regular customer with them. However; I am starting to think I should not say anything about this - obviously my experiences are different from many of yours.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
      #5738524 - 03/17/13 12:34 PM

Ah, I see. I read that bit after I had ordered, and wondered if others were having to pay.

I told my wife I bought a diagonal for terrestrial viewing. She asked how much. I told her $75. She said, "OK".

So then I said, by the way, it comes with a telescope.

Cheers,
David

dr.m

Reged: 03/08/12

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #5738844 - 03/17/13 03:07 PM

Just wanted to thankyou, I order one. I have been thinking about putting something together for the neighborhood kids and there parents hopefully, that I would not have to worry about and this fills the bill.It will be worth it if I can just one more person interested . Anyway thanks again.

Dave

dr.m

Reged: 03/08/12

Re: Super 102mm NexStar refractor sale [Re: siriusandthepup]
      #5738981 - 03/17/13 03:56 PM

I just have one question, what size rings are needed for this scope?
thanks again

Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
44 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3320

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics