Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dan Williams

Reged: 12/25/08

Loc: Kimball, Nebraska USA
Baader Q-Turret
      #5737194 - 03/16/13 08:33 PM

Hello

I read that the Q-Turret is a hybrid of aluminium and plastic - what does that mean? I have an Owl turret which works pretty well, but it's all plastic. Unfortunately, if I were to get this turret I would need two more eyepieces to fill it....

Thanks,

~ Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: Dan Williams]
      #5737249 - 03/16/13 08:57 PM

It is made of mostly some polymer/plastic. Set screws are metal, and the threaded 1.25" barrel that is on the bottom that goes into the focuser/diagonal is metal also.

Dan Williams

Reged: 12/25/08

Loc: Kimball, Nebraska USA
Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: BillP]
      #5737362 - 03/16/13 09:25 PM

Thanks Bill! Pretty much like the one I have now.

~ Dan

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
      #5738004 - 03/17/13 04:29 AM

It's very lightweight, my unit feels like almost all plastic, the bottom piece which goes into the focuser seems like a metal/plastic hybrid-a bit like cheap eyepieces which look metal but are in fact plastic.

Don't get me wrong I like mine but I would not be loading it with >250g eyepieces.

Keep in mind alo in my newt I need about 25mm in focus to achieve focus with the ep's in the turret as opposed to ep only

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5738634 - 03/17/13 01:38 PM

Yes, it requires an inch more infocus, and anything heavier/longer/wider than an ortho/plossl is going to start make you wonder why in the world you bought it.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/04/12

Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin
      #5738817 - 03/17/13 03:02 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

I just purchased and received the Baader turret a few days ago. I have often thought it would be interesting and also fun to compare similar eyepieces or to simply change from one to another quickly. I have looked at the TEC and it seems to be really nice and sturdy. But the $$ sort put a damper on that. And the Van Slyke is out of this world...for me anyway. So when I saw the Baader turret being offered, I decided to try it.

I am going to have fun with this. It's very light and the action of the rotating feature is pretty good. I was concerned that I might lose the target when rotating. But it is not bad. I haven't given it a thorough try out yet because I hate the cold.

I did have to change my diagonal to a shorter one and I decided to also just go ahead and change the 1 1/4 adapter also. Fortunately I have an Everbrite and a low profile adapter. I could reach focus then with the ability to go either direction.

Obviously, this is not intended for big, heavy eyepieces and I did still have to do some re-balancing. I will probably replace the little eyepiece screws with either nylon or brass. And I also must say that with reasonable care, I think this turret can last for a while.

For me, it was worth the relatively low price and I know that I am going to have a good time with it.

I've attached a few pics of it.

Best, Linda B.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: Agatha]
      #5738823 - 03/17/13 03:03 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

And the bottom of turret

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

#5738835 - 03/17/13 03:05 PM Attachment (34 downloads)

And the turret on my AT80 ED

Edited by Agatha (03/17/13 03:49 PM)

BillP
Postmaster

#5739852 - 03/17/13 11:41 PM

Leave it outside in the cold for half an hour then bring it in the house, then touch the various parts, easy enough to tell which is metal as it will be way colder than the non-metal parts.

BillP
Postmaster

#5739856 - 03/17/13 11:46 PM

Quote:

And I also must say that with reasonable care, I think this turret can last for a while.

I agree. Not made like a beast, and its price is reflective of that. Baader wanted this set to be something that was affordable, yet optically very good. So those where the design paradigms.

With care, I expect it to last fairly long if not for the rest of my observing. Parts are fairly thick, the center hinge is a metal screw and nut so nothing to break there, and the click-stop mechanism (the weakest link in this chain), although plastic, is fairly thick and there are two of them for the task so the dual-design IMO makes if fairly robust.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #5739887 - 03/18/13 12:12 AM

Ordered one of these yesterday.

Agatha
Pooh-Bah

#5740020 - 03/18/13 02:50 AM

Quote:

and the click-stop mechanism (the weakest link in this chain), although plastic, is fairly thick and there are two of them for the task so the dual-design IMO makes if fairly robust.

Jim, I agree with that completely. When I first got it in my hands, I was curious as to how the click stop was achieved and saw how when I turned it over. The wavy strips of plastic used as springs to pop in or out of the little cutouts is actually very effective but also a potential source of wear and tear. I think keeping it clean will help to maintain longevity.

At first when I saw this turret become available, I was assuming it came only as a kit with the orthos etc. Maybe it did. I didn't really need any more orthos so I decided not to order. Then, as luck would have it, as I was touring around the Agena website, I found it available as a separate item.
It then became a must have . I found the price extremely reasonable. I am really pleased that this inexpensive alternative is available to try out. Of course with lightweight eyepieces.

Mike, I look forward to your impression.

Best, Linda B.

Moonlight Sonata

Reged: 02/23/13

#5740023 - 03/18/13 02:52 AM

I started a thread in the reflectors forum a few weeks ago asking about this eyepiece turret, as I am interested in getting it to simply make changing eyepieces quick and effortless so that I can compare views at different mags and spend more time observing rather than messing with gear. My intention would be to use it with wide fov eyepieces (ES82s) which some have cautioned against.

Quote:

Don't get me wrong I like mine but I would not be loading it with >250g eyepieces.

So what is it about the turret that makes you say that? My EPs are around 250g, with the heaviest one being 312g. Aside from having to use counterweights with my dob, what other problems do heavy eyepieces create?

Quote:

Obviously, this is not intended for big, heavy eyepieces and I did still have to do some re-balancing.

I can see based on photos that it certainly looks to be made with orthos or other small EPs in mind. Assuming one would be able to physically fit 4 wide field EPs next to each other in the turret, is there any reason to think that it wouldn't function the same?

Quote:

With care, I expect it to last fairly long if not for the rest of my observing. Parts are fairly thick, the center hinge is a metal screw and nut so nothing to break there, and the click-stop mechanism (the weakest link in this chain), although plastic, is fairly thick and there are two of them for the task so the dual-design IMO makes if fairly robust.

This is something that never crossed my mind. Is the click-stop mechanism something that might be prone to malfunctioning over time if the turret is being used to rotate between fairly heavy eyepieces?

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5740773 - 03/18/13 01:53 PM

Quote:

Leave it outside in the cold for half an hour then bring it in the house, then touch the various parts, easy enough to tell which is metal as it will be way colder than the non-metal parts.

Or for those in warmer climates, put It in the Fridge/Freezer for an hour!

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: Moonlight Sonata]
      #5740795 - 03/18/13 02:09 PM

Quote:

I started a thread in the reflectors forum a few weeks ago asking about this eyepiece turret, as I am interested in getting it to simply make changing eyepieces quick and effortless so that I can compare views at different mags and spend more time observing rather than messing with gear. My intention would be to use it with wide fov eyepieces (ES82s) which some have cautioned against.

Did anyone mention that most eyepieces would probably not come to focus in a Newtonian when used in the Q-Turret? You will probably need to put a Barlow or Barlow lens cell on the neck of the turret. This will decrease the effective focal length of the eyepieces and increase the magnification.

In my 10" f/4.8 and 5" f/5 Newts, for instance, only a few long focal length eyepieces can come to focus in the turret without a Barlow or lens cell added to the optical train.

Mike

Moonlight Sonata

Re: Baader Q-Turret new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5741351 - 03/18/13 06:23 PM

Yep, the in-focus issue has been mentioned. I'm not too concerned about that with my scope because I have to rack out the focuser almost all the way to achieve focus anyway. Also, the collimation screws on my primary are tightened most of the way, so I have some room to push my primary up the OTA a little bit to extend the focal point a bit further out if needed.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5741431 - 03/18/13 06:57 PM

The proof is in the pudding. On my 10" f/4.8 Dob, there are some eyepieces for which I don't have enough out-focus. I have to either pull these eyepieces out of the focuser a bit or put them in an extension. And yet I do not have enough inside-focus for most eyepieces on the turret.

Mike

Moonlight Sonata

#5741612 - 03/18/13 08:12 PM

That's interesting to hear. It sounds like there's more cause for concern with the in-focus issue than I had thought. How much out-focus does the turret add? Is it about an inch?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5741758 - 03/18/13 09:06 PM

The additional out-focus will vary depending on the eyepiece. Visualize it. The entire length of the eyepiece needs to sit completely above the height of the telescope's focuser so that the turret can turn.

Mike

Moonlight Sonata

#5741857 - 03/18/13 09:52 PM

I was aware of that but never really thought about it much. Visualizing it, I can see that it likely wouldn't work with my ES82s since they have barrels that are pretty long (about 1/4" shorter than the amount of drawtube travel I have). The only way it might work for my scope is if I adjust the collimation screws to push the primary closer to the secondary, but I don't know how much room there is.

If the eyepiece barrels are longer than each turret sleeve, then I guess one could loosen the screw for whichever eyepiece is currently being used so that it could be fully inserted into the turret, regaining some in-focus. This would make it a bit less convenient though and kind of defeat the purpose.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1203

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics