Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: blueman]
      #5738728 - 03/17/13 02:22 PM

I agree with blueman and I'll add that it is as important that their new equipment perform well out of the gate but it also needs to last all the way around the track. Can they do it? I for sure hope so. I have a lot of money tied up with Meade right now. While I have no loyalty to Meade and also own Celestron products (8" EdgeHD hopefully next week), I am feeling good about the LX850. Now I need Jason to come to California and teach me how to do that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: end]
      #5738905 - 03/17/13 03:29 PM

Quote:

Right, you know that the Mach1GTO has no chance to carry a 14" scope and its accessories.

This argument drives me crazy. Of course a Mach1 can carry a 14" SCT, without even breaking a sweat. Do you really think that Meade's manufacturing process is so superior to Astro-Physics, that they can somehow make a copy with more than twice the capacity of the original?

You need to take the manufacturer ratings with a grain of salt. Astro-Physics is very conservative about their ratings; Meade, not so much.

I have heard of people running Mach1's at over 100 lb with no problems.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: Pak]
      #5738935 - 03/17/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Guys Pan-STARRS is not Hale Bopp. There is no space ship with the Meade logo coming to take you someplace better. The more people show up to blindly defend Meade the more my point is proven.

What is it with Meade bashers?

My first two scopes were Celestrons. The first was so bad that it killed my interest in the hobby for 30 years. The second which I bought to replace the first was so bad I sent it back after a week. Then I bought my Meade and it was so great that it rekindled my love of the hobby. Does this make me a Celestron basher? Well I just sold my Meade to get something bigger and bought - you guessed it - a Celestron on a Skywatcher mount!

The point being that some past bad experiences with Meade (or other) equipment shouldn't make up your mind to be a basher of all of that company's equipment.

The fact is that this is a solid image of a not-so-easy target made with a Meade 14" scope on a Meade mount guided by a Meade guiding system.

ahopp
sage

Reged: 05/24/12

Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5738970 - 03/17/13 03:51 PM

Pak, I do not think that what you are saying is necessarily wrong. I think it is how you go about saying it.

When I get my 14" I could post fake images that say how great the mount is, or, for attention, I could post images that show it to be a piece of junk. But, we have to trust each other. I trust Jason because he appears to be a profession chap with a real interest in sharing info. If he violated that trust then we can step on his neck.

So, Pak, stay positive, even if you are skeptical. We will do the same...

Tony

P.S., Jason is not the only one who has posted great images with the LX850 mount. check out the link below:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/category/14-lx850-photography/

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: ahopp]
      #5738991 - 03/17/13 04:00 PM

Gotta love how heated Meade threads become, regardless of whether there's success or failure.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5738996 - 03/17/13 04:03 PM

Blueman,

Jason posted in another thread that he no longer has the pre-production mount. He's using a factory model now.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: budman1961]
      #5739002 - 03/17/13 04:08 PM

+1

Pak

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Great Arc
      #5739011 - 03/17/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Guys Pan-STARRS is not Hale Bopp. There is no space ship with the Meade logo coming to take you someplace better. The more people show up to blindly defend Meade the more my point is proven.

What is it with Meade bashers?

My first two scopes were Celestrons. The first was so bad that it killed my interest in the hobby for 30 years. The second which I bought to replace the first was so bad I sent it back after a week. Then I bought my Meade and it was so great that it rekindled my love of the hobby. Does this make me a Celestron basher? Well I just sold my Meade to get something bigger and bought - you guessed it - a Celestron on a Skywatcher mount!

The point being that some past bad experiences with Meade (or other) equipment shouldn't make up your mind to be a basher of all of that company's equipment.

The fact is that this is a solid image of a not-so-easy target made with a Meade 14" scope on a Meade mount guided by a Meade guiding system.

If I am coming across as a Meade basher it is not my intent. My only intent is to point out some of the unknowns and to call into question the answers given.

Like most people I would like Meade to succeed. I want each and every LX850 and LX600 owner to be incredibly happy with their choice.

However blind faith and devotion, especially towards a company that hasn't earned it, is cause for concern. There is a reason I am fixated on the cult analogy and that is it seems to fit. People seem to blindly trust certain people and I think a more measured and cautious approach is warranted.

As I have pointed out Jason is a Meade insider who posts images taken with above par versions of the LX850 and claims that Starlock should make up for any sub-par versions others should get. But then he goes on to say that the Starlock auto calib, drift alignment and PEC are something he isn't familiar with or doesn't use. That is pretty serious in my opinion. We have another report from someone with two posts so far on CN and his posts read like a review that has been checked off by Meade. The other example we have is from Glen who had his up for a few days before he went on the road traveling. So far those are the only results I know I can count on. I look forward to other reports. I want to see Tony's results since he will have the 14" version and the 80mm mounted at the same time. If things go well for him then that will be something to really take note of. I wish him the very best.

Pak

#5739024 - 03/17/13 04:21 PM

Quote:

Pak, I do not think that what you are saying is necessarily wrong. I think it is how you go about saying it.

When I get my 14" I could post fake images that say how great the mount is, or, for attention, I could post images that show it to be a piece of junk. But, we have to trust each other. I trust Jason because he appears to be a profession chap with a real interest in sharing info. If he violated that trust then we can step on his neck.

So, Pak, stay positive, even if you are skeptical. We will do the same...

Tony

P.S., Jason is not the only one who has posted great images with the LX850 mount. check out the link below:

http://www.meade4m.com/index.php?/gallery/category/14-lx850-photography/

Under no circumstances do I believe the images are faked at all. I am simply suggesting that the images specifically from Jason represent the best the LX850 has to offer under those conditions (bad seeing). I call into question how many subs had to be tossed not because of seeing or weather but from tracking issues. I recall Jsnuff1 when he had the LX800 reporting that he had to toss a lot of subs due to tracking errors. I also call into question how good of a mount you are going to get vs the mount Jason got. If his represents the best of the best, who gets the worst of the worst? What will those results be? Having a sample of 3 or 4 people isn't enough to answer that question.

Raginar
Postmaster

#5739032 - 03/17/13 04:24 PM

Pak,

Jason has stated he doesn't have the pre-production mount anymore. He also stated (at least on Facebook) that he's using Starlock and some of the automated routines to good success.

How about we stop assuming the mount is a POS and assume the LX850 works? I don't see your posts in the AVX thread where people thought the mount was going to be awesome and are now experiencing electrical issues and balance problems.

Ahopp sounds like he is almost full-up with his LX850. Hopefully, his analysis of the mount will be enough to quell your doubts.

Are you planning on buying one? Or just someone who had a bad experience with a Meade product?

And, you're right. 6k is nothing to sneeze about. I thought about getting one when it was still the LX800 but all the troubles moved me a different direction. Maybe when it's a little more mature. I still find it fascinating to watch a new mount be unveiled. It's cool to see where it was (in the LX800 threads) to where it is now (Jason's pictures).

The only thing I wish I could see is a full setup/picture session. Like a Google+ hangout where someone has a camera setup and just goes through all the routines. I think of all those 'doh' moments when I was learning how to setup my CGEM and wonder if it's as easy as it seems it should be!

Pak

Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: Raginar]
      #5739063 - 03/17/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

Pak,

Jason has stated he doesn't have the pre-production mount anymore. He also stated (at least on Facebook) that he's using Starlock and some of the automated routines to good success.

Alas, I do not use facebook.
Quote:

How about we stop assuming the mount is a POS and assume the LX850 works?

I am not assuming anything. That has been and shall remain the point of my post. I am asking people not to assume anything. Good or bad.

Quote:

I don't see your posts in the AVX thread where people thought the mount was going to be awesome and are now experiencing electrical issues and balance problems.

I have not heard about any balance problems other than one guy who was doing it wrong and figured it out. The electrical problems are with the HC boxes as far as I know of. As an owner of a AVX I am watching it closely but so far I'd say the AVX is incredible.

Quote:

Ahopp sounds like he is almost full-up with his LX850. Hopefully, his analysis of the mount will be enough to quell your doubts.

That is what I am hoping for too.
Quote:

Are you planning on buying one? Or just someone who had a bad experience with a Meade product?

I am in the market. I have another post from earlier in the week asking about mounting an 11" EdgeHD to a Mach1GTO. However since the M1GTO and the LX850 look nearly identical I am curious about how it is really doing and not just the hype.
Quote:

And, you're right. 6k is nothing to sneeze about. I thought about getting one when it was still the LX800 but all the troubles moved me a different direction. Maybe when it's a little more mature. I still find it fascinating to watch a new mount be unveiled. It's cool to see where it was (in the LX800 threads) to where it is now (Jason's pictures).

The only thing I wish I could see is a full setup/picture session. Like a Google+ hangout where someone has a camera setup and just goes through all the routines. I think of all those 'doh' moments when I was learning how to setup my CGEM and wonder if it's as easy as it seems it should be!

Paging Micheal... Google+ hangout STAT!

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5739077 - 03/17/13 04:43 PM

LOL well I would love to do that actually. If it is one thing I enjoy it is .. ok if there are two things I enjoy, one of them is posting up.. OK if there are THREE things I enjoy, one of them is posting youtube videos and the second is google hangouts.

I'll need to clear everything with Meade to make sure I am not violating any agreements but I don't think it'd be an issue. First though I need Meade to send me my stuff.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5739186 - 03/17/13 05:25 PM

10 subs in luma, 3 each in RGB. One of the RGB frames was rejected right after pier flip (I forget which color). I think there is still a little flexure in my image train that settles out after a flip.

All frames were median combined in Maxim DL with DDP stretch and a very light decon.

No OAG was in the system, starlock guiding only. Collimation and squaring of the camera is very critical with ACF as well as RC scopes, I am seeing some preliminary images from others with these issues and I am still tweaking it myself. Don't confuse out of round stars due to collimation with guiding errors.

I did of course use pixy dust and a little help from some guy on a grassy knoll.

Lee Jay
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/27/08

Loc: Westminster, CO
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: galaxy_jason]
      #5739224 - 03/17/13 05:39 PM

Quote:

I did of course use pixy dust and a little help from some guy on a grassy knoll.

Oh, well there you go!

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
      #5739231 - 03/17/13 05:41 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

What is a grassy knoll?

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: herrointment]
      #5739527 - 03/17/13 07:53 PM

WWIN, I can't wait for that. Can you post the date/time in the #astrophotography forum? It'd be really cool to see.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5739530 - 03/17/13 07:56 PM

Quote:

WWIN, I can't wait for that. Can you post the date/time in the #astrophotography forum? It'd be really cool to see.

Just click the little red icon below and add me. I'll add you back and when I am hosting something I'll send out an invite. Keep in mind that at least for now I am not set up with an LX850 as it is in boxes. When *cough* I get my new system set up I'll make sure Meade is going to be cool with me doing a full show and tell. I am reasonably sure they will be. NDA's don't cover publicly available information. As long as it is public knowledge I am in the clear.

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5739617 - 03/17/13 09:18 PM

Cool. Thanks!

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #5739834 - 03/17/13 11:31 PM

Oh, I see, I thought I read that it was still the prototype. Must have misread it.
Blueman
Quote:

Blueman,

Jason posted in another thread that he no longer has the pre-production mount. He's using a factory model now.

galaxy_jason
Vendor

Reged: 05/22/07

Loc: Texas
Re: LX850 M81 in mediocre seeing new [Re: blueman]
      #5739931 - 03/18/13 12:57 AM

Sorry, I am now using a production mount and a prototype OTA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3650

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics