Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1
BBryce

Reged: 03/15/13

Loc: Canada, QC
Magnification question new
      #5733565 - 03/15/13 07:39 AM

Hello,

I own a home-made 12" f5 truss tube and I just started to test bino viewing with a maxbright and a couple of 20mm william optics WA 66°. I immediately felt in love and can't go back to mono vision, just outstanding with a 12" !!

I don't use any ocs/oca or barlow,I can observe wide-fields with an oversized secondary mirror (3.1").

I also use a shorter set of fiber carbone tubes for lowering my secondary cage about 4.33" so I can focus without correctors. Deep sky views are breathtaking !

I was wondering if I can put a powermate 2.5x with my lowered secondary cagee. My 20mm will turn to 8mm and then I don't need to buy a new couple of eypieces for observing planets & moon.

But I tried with a standard 2.5x barlow (gso) and it won't work...

Would the Televue Powermate 2.5x fit with my setup ?

Your thoughts ?

Bryce

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Magnification question new [Re: BBryce]
      #5734547 - 03/15/13 05:31 PM

Possibly, more probably you will need an extension. At 1X though you may very well be getting some loss of aperture.

BBryce

Re: Magnification question new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5735460 - 03/16/13 02:28 AM

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your answer, I was thinking about an extender tube too as I do with mono viewing.

But powermate 2.5x + extender tube + maxbright & EP's, my focuser (HC1 kineoptics) will throw in the towel no need to state about collimation too...

So for a higher power with my setup, no other choice but a pair of 10mm ?

Some EP's recommandations around 10mm ?

Cheers,

Clear skies !

Bryce

sopticals
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/10

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Magnification question new [Re: BBryce]
      #5735494 - 03/16/13 03:36 AM

Hi Bryce,

I use the GSO15mm(70deg) Superviews. Previously used the WO20mm(66deg) oculars, which came with my WO binoviewers, but like you, needed a larger image scale, for moon and planets. Now my 20mm WOs stay in the draw. I had tried the GSO15mm Plossls but for some reason had merging problems, and I didnt appreciate the narrower FOV anyway. No problem merging the Superviews. Also tried ES82 11mms but the binos didnt perform as well as with the 15mm SVs.

Stephen.(44deg.S.)

BBryce

Re: Magnification question new [Re: sopticals]
      #5735500 - 03/16/13 03:56 AM

Thanks Stephen !

But compared to my WO20mm (66°), a pair of 15mm might be still to low for planets and moon or not ? Too close power ?

As i will purchase a pair of vixen NPL 30,I was more thinking about a higher one, like a pair of vixen nlv 10mm, or Baader classic ortho.

30mm, 20mm, 10mm, good guess ??

Did you meet some merging issues with your pair of ES82 11mm ? The pair seems to be a good value though...

Cheers mate !

Bryce

sopticals
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/10

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Magnification question [Re: BBryce]
      #5737956 - 03/17/13 02:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks Stephen !

But compared to my WO20mm (66°), a pair of 15mm might be still to low for planets and moon or not ? Too close power ?

Did you meet some merging issues with your pair of ES82 11mm ? The pair seems to be a good value though...

Cheers mate !

Bryce

Hi Bryce,

Ok, maybe the image scale dosent increase enough when you are not using an OCA. In my case the GSO 15mm Superviews give approx 285x/475x depending on which dob Im using, whereas the WO 20mm pair give approx 210x/350x, so an appreciable difference. The ES82 11mm pair give approx 380x/580x at which my seeing does not support. Mostly I am happy at 285x, as seeing at my locality generally supports this, and this image scale is sufficient to reveal clearly the fine planetary/lunar detail I am interested in.

Best regards
Stephen.(44deg.S.)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 656

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics