Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Two offending streetlamps. new
      #5737954 - 03/17/13 02:49 AM

I recently moved back into me Maws house after not having lived there in twenty years. In the time I was gone, the government has put up two cobra style streetlamps 100' apart from each other that both strongly affect my dark adaption and fully illuminate both the front and back yard. They are both on the ends of dead end streets and illuminate stop signs. I live in a rural township and need to do something to keep it rural for my astronomy enjoyment.

I also have a social phobia and would like to get some input from you all on how to address this problem without having to talk on the phone or go to a public meeting. I have done some google searches on the subject and know to include the statement of light trespass along with mentioning that the lights enter our property and detract from use of the land. I was also going to recommend shielding the lights with aluminum foil or paint on the diffuser where the light would aim at our property.

Any other suggestions about what to include? If anyone is comfortable sharing their letter to the utility company or a local government board, please do so.

I have no interest in illegal means of turning these lights off totally as I believe that would be detrimental to the safety of people on the road or live near my intersections, so please do not share what would be a violation of the TOS.

thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: Two offending streetlamps. new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5738132 - 03/17/13 08:07 AM

Have you looked at the lighting codes and laws for your town? It's surprising how many lights are put up with no regard to the law. The only reason they are still up is because nobody registers a complaint.

obin

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Two offending streetlamps. [Re: obin robinson]
      #5738185 - 03/17/13 08:45 AM

There are a number of threads around here about individuals just contacting the entity that either owns or maintains the lamps and asking if they could either shield or move those lamps.
Here is one such thread.
In any case, when dealing with situations such as this, you may have to force yourself to approach someone in person so just be prepared. Yo

Edited by richard7 (03/17/13 08:50 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 577

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics