Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Rensselaer Students Effort for “Smart Lighting" new
      #5727873 - 03/12/13 11:01 AM

Rensselaer Students Drive Effort to Introduce “Smart Lighting” on Campus

Quote: “This …….. is the first step toward the goal of realizing a campus-wide intelligent lighting system that can be used as a test bed for leading-edge lighting technology…….. The ….. vision includes smart lighting systems that pair sophisticated sensor and control systems with high-performing LEDs that automatically adapt to provide the perfect light for any given situation to enhance human comfort, performance, and productivity.”

Link: web page

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Rensselaer Students Effort for “Smart Lighting" new [Re: George N]
      #5729263 - 03/12/13 10:54 PM

As great as these type of stories are, no where in these articles am I reading anything about preserving the night skies. It's all about saving money, which is great, but I fear that just using led replacements won't improve anything.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Rensselaer Students Effort for “Smart Lighting" new [Re: richard7]
      #5732572 - 03/14/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

As great as these type of stories are, no where in these articles am I reading anything about preserving the night skies. It's all about saving money, which is great, but I fear that just using led replacements won't improve anything.

If all they do is change to LEDs, it will do little, or nothing. However, if they install a test computer-controlled “smart lighting system” that automatically adjusts individual light brightness depending on conditions, including foot and vehicle traffic, it could be a good demonstration project. Government planners need to see one of these systems in action before they will sign on.

BTW, the lighting engineering center at RPI advertizes that it can help local governments comply with anti-LP laws (particularly in some of the New England states that have state-wide laws). They are quite aware of the issue, at least from the designer’s perspective.

richard7Moderator
Not Quite

Reged: 11/02/07

Loc: Sacramento
Re: Rensselaer Students Effort for “Smart Lighting" new [Re: George N]
      #5734160 - 03/15/13 01:31 PM

Now a computer controlled system cpould work out OK.
If they could couple that with full cut-off lighting, now that would be real nice.

careysub
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re: Rensselaer Students Effort for “Smart Lighting" [Re: George N]
      #5738504 - 03/17/13 12:23 PM

Quote:

If all they do is change to LEDs, it will do little, or nothing.

Not necessarily.

One of the things about LEDs that holds them back in many lighting situations (e.g. indoor) is that they are inherently directional light sources, whereas nearly every other light technology is inherently omnidirectional.

One has to go some trouble to make the LED lamp radiate in all directions. With other light sources one has to go to some trouble (and sacrifice some light) by using bulky reflector fixtures to direct the light preferentially.

If used for outdoor lighting LED fixtures will tend to be ones that direct light down on to the ground exclusively since that simplifies the fixtures and makes the most efficient use of the LEDs and the electricity that runs them. Downward directed light causes little LP since very little of that light scatters back up into the sky.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, richard7 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 732

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics