Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Dioptrix material vs typical TV EP? new
      #5738497 - 03/17/13 12:19 PM

I have one Dioptrix that I just cleaned while cleaning other TV EPs: Ethos 8, 13, 21, and 31. This was my first time to clean any of them.

I first blew off any particles I could, I then used a EP cleaning solution on a sterile cotton ball sort of dabbing with very light rubbing. I then followed up by a dry sterile cotton ball dragging/lightly rubbing from inside to out and then going around the edge and finally, in small circles here and there all over. I used light pressure for most of this, and no pressure for some. I never put heavy pressure on the cotton balls.

The EPs came out perfect. Extremely clean, no scratches. The Dioptrix was more difficult to clean (not perfect but very clean) and it has fine scratches all over (not severe, and not completely covering it, but nevertheless they're there).

So, my question, is the Dioptrix material not as tough and easier to scratch? It seems that way to me but I wondered what others have found.

Thanks,

Rob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
Re: Dioptrix material vs typical TV EP? new [Re: robininni]
      #5739142 - 03/17/13 05:09 PM

Hi,
I use a Dioptrx and have cleaned it many times, it still looks new after cleaning and has no scratches at all.
Are you sure you are seeing scratches?
Tim

robininni
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/18/11

Loc: Stephenville, TX
Re: Dioptrix material vs typical TV EP? [Re: Heitman]
      #5739516 - 03/17/13 07:49 PM

Quote:

Hi,
I use a Dioptrx and have cleaned it many times, it still looks new after cleaning and has no scratches at all.
Are you sure you are seeing scratches?
Tim

Yes, they are hairline circular scratches like you would get from improper cleaning.

Rob

Pages: 1

Extra information
22 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 217

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics