Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: LX80 First Use in Dual Scope Mode new [Re: brokenwave]
      #5753279 - 03/24/13 05:11 AM

Quote:

Perfect, would you tell us how much adm charged for it.
Thx

$139.00 plus shipping.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ldesign1
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/09

Loc: Northern Illinois
Re: LX80 First Use in Dual Scope Mode new [Re: exparrot]
      #5753287 - 03/24/13 05:28 AM

Quote:

I'd be interested in this, too. Does the saddle fit far enough onto the shaft so the mounting screws clear those threads used for adding another extension piece? It looks like it might be okay.

Jerry

The bore hole is flat on the inside. Nothing touches the threads of the bar. The side screw that locks onto the bar fits into the recessed part of the bar extension. The adapter is 1/4" deeper than it needs to be so you can slide it an extra 1/4" if you want it to be flush to the end of the bar. But the lock screw will be on the main surface of the bar instead of the recess. I put a 1/4" thick rubber grommet inside the hole as a stop do that the lock screw fastens to the recessed part upon insertion.

exparrot

Reged: 02/13/12

Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
Re: LX80 First Use in Dual Scope Mode new [Re: ldesign1]
      #5754320 - 03/24/13 03:43 PM

Quote:

The bore hole is flat on the inside. Nothing touches the threads of the bar. The side screw that locks onto the bar fits into the recessed part of the bar extension. The adapter is 1/4" deeper than it needs to be so you can slide it an extra 1/4" if you want it to be flush to the end of the bar. But the lock screw will be on the main surface of the bar instead of the recess. I put a 1/4" thick rubber grommet inside the hole as a stop do that the lock screw fastens to the recessed part upon insertion.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm going to give it a try. I don't have a caliper, so I took the best measurement I could. Came out to be 30.2mm. Just placed an order - hopefully this will work out!

Jerry

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: LX80 First Use in Dual Scope Mode new [Re: Fred1]
      #5784883 - 04/07/13 10:01 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PPS: I decided to try an 8" Orion Dovetail with Adjustment Screws attached to a plain 8" dovetail that is attached to my 80mm apo. The plain dovetail will act as a base for the adjustment screws to press against so I can align my 80mm with the main scope.

Please let us know how this works out, Fred. I've been using the shim solution with my LX80 for many months, so I've gotten comfortable with it. But, I'd still like something easier. Another solution mentioned on the Yahoo group was to drill holes in the secondary saddle and insert adjustment screws.

Jerry

Yeah, I thought of that, too, as the metal is pretty soft but I hate doing such mods cause I get only one chance to do it right. It'll be sometime before I can report 'cause I'm recovering from a knee injury with 4 weeks of therapy ahead of me. The adjustable dovetail is only $20, so if anyone is anxious, the worse that could happen is that you'd end up with an extra dovetail with adjustment screws.

Did it. I saw that my Comet Hunter already had an adjustable dovetail with it so all I had to do was adjust that and then align the 80mm's saddle in altitude. Took some time to do it as I had to dismount/remount the Comet Hunter several times to get the dovetail adjustment screws right.
But it works.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1630

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics