Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Geo557Moderator
Astro-Scout

Reged: 10/10/07

Loc: SE GA
Re: Binotron-27 - That was it for me new [Re: Never2Busy4You]
      #5733355 - 03/15/13 01:04 AM

Moderators note:

"Posts that are not respectful of other individuals (be they members or not) are not welcome here."

The above short statement is quoted from our Terms of Service. It is one of many guidelines set forth that should be followed by all who post here. It is suggested that those who may have forgotten these rules or who have yet to read them, do so.

Again, play by the rules gentlemen. No disrespectful posts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fogboundturtle
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/20/09

Loc: Burnaby, BC
Re: Binotron-27 - That was it for me new [Re: Geo557]
      #5733768 - 03/15/13 10:06 AM

Geez. This is only a binoviewer. No need to get all emotional and such. I took the denk 21 eyepieces because it calibrated to be used with the binoviewer.

I am not working for or paid for by DenkMeier.

teskridg
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/15/08

Loc: PA
Re: Binotron-27 - That was it for me new [Re: Fogboundturtle]
      #5741194 - 03/18/13 05:19 PM

I use the Earthwins with power x switch and an 11" SCT. I can't say I notice reduced aperture/resolution with the lowest power position, but 24mm Panoptics and 32mm Plossls do vignette somewhat in the reduced, lowest power x switch position. This is not the case with 30mm Plossls and I would expect there would be no vignetting with the 21mm Denkmeier eyepieces also. This vignetting isn't too disagreeable but it is present. Tim

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Binotron-27 - That was it for me [Re: teskridg]
      #5741676 - 03/18/13 08:33 PM

If one has any doubts about aperture loss, there are two ways to check.

1) The flashlight test. With eyepiece installed and focused at least near to infinity, shine a bright, compact light source straight into the eyepiece from a distance of a foot or two. Measure the diameter of the circle of light emerging out the front end.

An alternative: install a short focal length eyepiece so as to get an exit pupil Of about 1-2mm. Shine a green laser straight into the exit pupil, with the laser housing in contact if you wish. You will likely have a brighter circle of light to measure the diameter of. If the aperture is not fairly come telly illuminated at once, your laser beam is of narrower diameter than the exit pupil; increase the magnification.

2) With eyepiece installed and focused at least near to infinity, look into the front of the scope. Note the small image produced by the eyepiece. Move your eye laterally until the *center* of that image just becomes clipped, either by a baffle or the primary's edge. If a baffle edge clips the image center before it has reached the edge of the primary, aperture loss is occurring.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3253

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics