Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MarshallCrenshaw

Reged: 03/18/13

Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount
      #5742052 - 03/18/13 11:35 PM

I have a Super Polaris C8 scope which I believe has a Vixen dovetail mount (1 3/4 inch wide and 7 1/2" long bar on the Super Polaris mount, with shorter female on scope). I am getting a CGEM mount.
Am I correct that the CGEM mount has a different size of dovetail? What do I need to do to mate the two?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: MarshallCrenshaw]
      #5742069 - 03/18/13 11:53 PM

The SP-C8 mounting was "upside down" compared to what is usual today. The modern mount has a saddle (female) on it, and a dovetail plate (male) is installed onto the optical tube. Suitable dovetail plates are available from ADM Machining.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5742468 - 03/19/13 09:07 AM

Yes. You need to replace it with a Losmandy D Format dovetail (Losmandy, ADM, etc.)...

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: MarshallCrenshaw]
      #5742573 - 03/19/13 10:21 AM

Marshall,

Or replace the saddle on the CGEM with an ADM dual saddle which is of better quality than the original and can handle both types of dovetails.

Changing the dovetail bar on your scope is a little less expensive, but changing the saddle on the mount is the more flexible solution and if you're considering other scopes in the future could be the least expensive in the long term.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5742602 - 03/19/13 10:37 AM

Quote:

Changing the dovetail bar on your scope is a little less expensive,

There's no dovetail plate there now, only a saddle (the SP-C8 isn't like modern gear). His only options are (1) install a Losmandy-compatible dovetail plate to fit his mount, (2) install a Vixen-compatible dovetail plate and modify the mount to fit by replacing its saddle, or (3) use a dual-male Vixen-style plate to go between his optical tube's saddle and the saddle of a modified mount. There might be a 4th possibility if anyone makes a male-Vixen-to-male-Losmandy adaptor plate to link his saddle to the mount's saddle. Adding a Losmandy-style plate to the telescope to fit his mount will be the easiest option.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5742815 - 03/19/13 12:15 PM

Quote:

Marshall,

Or replace the saddle on the CGEM with an ADM dual saddle which is of better quality than the original and can handle both types of dovetails.

Changing the dovetail bar on your scope is a little less expensive, but changing the saddle on the mount is the more flexible solution and if you're considering other scopes in the future could be the least expensive in the long term.

No...he'll have to change the dovetail on his telescope either way, muchacho...

MarshallCrenshaw

Reged: 03/18/13

Re: Super Polaris Celestron C8 and CGEM mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5748413 - 03/21/13 07:57 PM

I decided to get the new dovetail plate to mount on my scope. I got a "Dovetail plate to mount 8" Celestron optical tube on Celestron and Losmandy mounts" from Astronomics for $32.95. Removed the old saddle and used those screws on the dovetail plate on one end - needed another screw for the front end and had to borrow from another place on the scope. Easy to do and mates well with CGEM. Now to polar align and collimate....

Pages: 1

Extra information
12 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 749

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics