Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
Jeronimo Cruz
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
How do I repaint my OTA? new
      #5742809 - 03/19/13 12:12 PM

Hi all,

How do I go about repainting a refractor OTA? My OTA has two small rings etched into the OTA paint by guidescope ring pins. Although purely cosmetic, those rings are driving me nuts.

How do I repaint it? I was thinking of going to a local auto paint shop. Is that a good idea? Can I do it myself?

Is a carbon fiber tune another option?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: How do I repaint my OTA? [Re: Jeronimo Cruz]
      #5742843 - 03/19/13 12:30 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

you can do it yourself.

you can sand off all the shiney and reprime it with a auto sandable primer. wet sand it with 200 and then add your color coats. you can wet sand between coats with 400. you can use HD rattle cans if you want.

after you have your final color coat wet sand it at 600 and do 2 layers of clear, I usually don't sand between my clear coats. you could leave like that or you can then polish the clear.

but you can always do the rattle can color coat and then take it to an autobody and have them clear coat it [2 layers] of a catalyzed poly urethane [ you can shoot a bullet off the paint]

but in the end for my scopes i don't even clear coat them i just use the white expoy rattle can from hd and thats that. if it gets damaged just brake out the can, after you masked everthing and shoot the damaged area.

dont forget to add the vinyl graphics...

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: How do I repaint my OTA? new [Re: Jeronimo Cruz]
      #5742883 - 03/19/13 12:52 PM

It would be helpful for us to know what the scope is that you need to repaint. If it's a mid to high quality scope, then I strongly recommend that you have it powdercoated. If it's a really expensive premium scope, I recommend either sending it back to the factory, or matching the finish exactly at a reputable paint shop or powdercoater. Do you want to match the original finish, or perhaps looking for something different?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#5742976 - 03/19/13 01:32 PM

Have they cut thought the finish, or have they given it rash?

If it is just a rash on a glossy background, you may be able to polish it out with automotive paint polish.

Sometimes rings will mar paint that was not fully cured. Polishing might help.

Not if it goes though to metal though, or if it has left something like a scratch.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: How do I repaint my OTA? new [Re: Eddgie]
      #5745127 - 03/20/13 01:18 PM

I once got a scope tube repainted at my local collision centre who knew me well and my custom (Oh thankyou ex-wife)they had paint left over from a repair and just did the tube as a sideline,however if its a good scope and a keeper, as Steve G suggested powder coating is the way to go, DA.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5745237 - 03/20/13 02:12 PM

Just a second opinion, I do not like the finish on most power coat jobs, (unless the coating is thick there is some orange peal effect) and I do not like the idea of heating the tube to about 400 deg F to cure it, which some power coats require. I have had dozens of items power coated for my company and while most looked good, none looked as good as an automotive finish, if it were me, I would use an automotive paint for the best results. I think that a shop that does custom motorcycle paint work would be a good candidate as they are used to doing small parts and small custom detail work.
Rex
P.S. If you want to do it yourself, Pinbout gave you some good advice. I would get a practice piece of metal and see what I could do. Also, automotive two part catalyzed clear-coat is available in spray cans at automotive paint stores for a really hard top finish.

Edited by tomcody (03/20/13 02:17 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, FirstSight, panhard, star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 415

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics