Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer?
      #5742977 - 03/19/13 01:32 PM

Is anyone using Brandon Eyepieces in a Binoviewer? If so, which ones? Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #5743242 - 03/19/13 03:30 PM

Hi Steve,

Since we are using the same equipment (TOA-150 / Mark V bino) I too would be interested in any Brandon-related feedbacks. Perhaps from other TOA-users out there?

Stephan

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5743380 - 03/19/13 04:27 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I've been using the 32mm, 24mm, 16mm, and 12mm 50th Anniversary Brandons for years. They are spectacular, A+ imho. I also have 16mm and 10mm ZAO-IIs and the Brandons are to my eyes actually slightly better on bright planets, showing equal resolution and a touch less scatter, using an FS152 fluorite APO and MkV binoviewers. I've spent hours and hours directly comparing many eyepieces but especially the Brandon 16s v. the ZAOII 16s and the Brandons win for me, barely, on bright planets due to less scatter - they are pretty much equal on the Moon. YMMV of course there are differing opinions ... for me they have proven to be excellent premium eyepieces and a joy to use. Don't expect them to have perfect edge correction in a fast dob unless you are using a GPC or barlow though. I am not a big fan of the eyecup version but I did own a pair of 16mm for awhile and they were exactly the same quality as the flat tops I now own.

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5743463 - 03/19/13 05:04 PM

Sounds good. Okay, I think I should finally try those Brandons, too...

Stephan

vahe
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Houston, Texas
      #5743504 - 03/19/13 05:24 PM

I have only one pair of B24s, I use them strictly for planets in Zeiss/Baader viewers and F/20 Maksutovs. The B24s are every bit as good as ZAO-25s in every category including low scatter, low glare surrounding bright planets, color neutral, and offer a bit wider view.
If you have an eye for quality you will not be disappointed with Brandons.

Vahe

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: vahe]
      #5743569 - 03/19/13 05:51 PM

Yes, I was most interested in the B16 pair. Sounds like I should give them a try. Thanks!!!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5743753 - 03/19/13 07:01 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

If you get the rubber eyecup version you can screw off the entire top and try them as flat tops. I find the rubber eyecups constrict the view, they have a hole in the middle that is just a little too small for my eyes, making it hard to see the field stop.

gustave
sage

Reged: 05/24/08

Loc: Vero Beach, FL
      #5743848 - 03/19/13 07:39 PM

I use twin Brandon 24's with a WO Bino that sits on top of a TV Big Barlow that is necessary to come to focus. Even with 2x Barlow mag stars are relatively sharp, extended deep sky objects are more apparent, and Jupiter is simply an incredible, "You are there" view. Open star cluster views surpass mono viewing with eps = to the FoV and mag of the bino set up above.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5744908 - 03/20/13 11:23 AM

Johnny,
Are the flat top Brandons a special issue or old production? all I see on the web site are eyecup model eyepieces.
Rex

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: gustave]
      #5744920 - 03/20/13 11:27 AM

I have one 16mm and I keep looking in the claisdieds for a used one so I can pair them up in my BV. The 16mm is my best EP I have for the moon!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: tomcody]
      #5746478 - 03/20/13 10:27 PM

Rex - The 50th Anniversary Brandons from a few years ago are special, and they were initially made in 100 sets with gold anodizing with 32, 24, 16, 12, 8, and 6mm in a gorgeous box for $950. Afterwards Don made some sets that were black. But Don will make the flat tops (I actually think they are "semi-volcano") on request, just give him a call.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5747100 - 03/21/13 08:55 AM

I have a pair of Brandon 16s and they are the very best performers in my Denk Big Easy. Simply perfect on the moon.

MrGrytt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/28/05

Loc: Upstate Cuomostan
      #5748588 - 03/21/13 09:42 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

I've been using Brandons of all focal lengths for bino-viewing for a very long time. The slower the scope the better but they are excellent on-axis in most any scope.

Harvey

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5749181 - 03/22/13 08:12 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Quote:

Is anyone using Brandon Eyepieces in a Binoviewer? If so, which ones? Thanks in advance.

All of them! I use the anniversary sets in my Denk II's for everything from planetary to deep sky in my C11 and AP130GT. The 130mm is F/6.3 and while the very edges of the Brandons are astigmatic in it, the center field of view is wonderful, scatter free and dark. One thing rarely mentioned is how light these eyepieces are and that makes them perfect for binoviewing, throwing off balance very little if at all. I can easily swap from 32mm to the 6mm with little issue. Yes, even the 6 can be used for binoviewing, though admittedly less often. The "sweet spot" focal lengths appear to be the 16 & 24, but all perform. I will take two astro-items to my grave...my AP Gran Turismo refractor and my Brandons!

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5749569 - 03/22/13 12:15 PM

Just tell us where your plot will be, T.R.
What I wanted to ask, why wouldn't you prefer to binoview with longer-FL Brandons and then use a barlow or GPC?

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: t.r.]
      #5749572 - 03/22/13 12:18 PM

Aw, shucks TR... some of us were hopin' you'd release your grasp- at least when they close the lid!

Quote:

The "sweet spot" focal lengths appear to be the 16 & 24, but all perform.

Like many here have affirmed, the 16's are pretty sweet in a BVer... i use a pair of these in my Denk II + Dob, which runs them at an effective ~F6.6 at the low end: 158x - 222x - 267x with the Power-Switch... perfect for planets!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? new [Re: Mike B]
      #5749665 - 03/22/13 01:11 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

I purchased a VERNONscope binoviewer and two sets of Brandon eyepieces awhile back. When the seeing is good here in the UK, I have found the 12mm's to be the sweet spot; especially for Lunar observing.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? [Re: Mark9473]
      #5749821 - 03/22/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

What I wanted to ask, why wouldn't you prefer to binoview with longer-FL Brandons and then use a barlow or GPC?

You certainly could do that. And I do. Many will say, do all your magnifying before the binoviewers (w/GPC or barlows) only. But, I like to break rules and run with scissors! The Denk II's and Brandons are certainly up to the task no matter how I configure the optical train. And FYI...I'm being cremated with the aforementioned goodies!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? [Re: t.r.]
      #5750347 - 03/22/13 06:30 PM

I have a pair of Brandon 16mm blems that I got from Don about 2 years ago while visiting his shop (about 60 minutes from my house). He picked a precisely matched pair of optics from those going into his military order and put them in barrels with a slight defect. One had a scratch on the part that inserts into the focuser, and the other had a deficit in the white paint in the printing. Don give me a super-great discount on these blems. They have proved to be by far my favorite eyepieces in my Denk II for planetary viewing, especially with my 127mm APO. I also use one in my Coronado PST for h-alpha solar. I like them so much that Ive thought of getting a pair of 8 or 10mm.

BTW, Don often sells blems at NEAF, but they all sell out in the first hour or two on Saturday morning. He told me that he sells even more blems at the WSP, but they go fast there too.

For deep sky, mostly on my Obsession 20, I use Denk 21mms and a pair of cheap Rini 30mm Erfles.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Brandon Eyepieces in Binoviewer? [Re: George N]
      #5750375 - 03/22/13 06:43 PM

It is SO nice to finally see here on Cloudy Nights

a) the Brandons finally get there due respect, and

b) the Brandons mentioned without someone immediately derailing the thread with some ridiculous unfounded disbelief and mockery.

They are excellent premium orthoscopic eyepieces with extremely high polish only available in very few other eyepieces costing much more, and you can see the results optically.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2898

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics