Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Duane Frybarger

Reged: 02/12/07

Loc: San Francisco, CA
CG5 tripod with alt az mount
      #5743112 - 03/19/13 02:38 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

I just upgraded my CG5 tripod to accept my Desert Sky Astro alt az mount. The mount had been on my heavy duty Bogen tripod and worked great with my PST and my Borg 76. It even worked acceptably with my Celestron C6 SCT. However, my new Intes Micro MN56 at 14lb and 30" was just too much for the Bogen tripod.

I went through a lot googling and cn forum threads to figure out how to mate the M10 thread of my CG5 tripod to the 3/8" thread of the alt az mount. I was reluctant to remove the M10 threaded center column because it had to be cut out. When I figured out how to put this all together, I realized I could always go back to the old configuration using M10 (rather than 3/8") threaded rod, nuts, bolts and wingnuts. The MN56 rides really comfortably on this new setup and the little scopes are rock solid. This mount was modified a while back with heavy duty electrical conduit for the lower legs, so it is really steady (albeit a bit heavier). It looks great, works great and I finally have an eyepiece holder for my alt az mount. Life is good!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: CG5 tripod with alt az mount new [Re: Duane Frybarger]
      #5743832 - 03/19/13 07:31 PM

I did the same thing but used a 3/8 x 2in bolt to put the desertsky on the cg5 legs. it felt solid, but I recently got rid of the cg5 mount. I typically don't use the spreaders for the legs, I like to be able to move them around.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: CG5 tripod with alt az mount new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5744656 - 03/20/13 08:25 AM

I thought the CG5 was already a 3/8-16 thread bolt?

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: CG5 tripod with alt az mount new [Re: t.r.]
      #5744775 - 03/20/13 09:56 AM

you can get the 10mm bolt to coincide with a 3/8-16 thread. I've had it work sometimes and sometimes not.

but the 3/8-16 thread will thread thru the 10mm thread hole in the CG5 legs...

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 487

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics